SAU Community

R32 Gt-R V-Spec Differences And Specs - Nissan Japan's Advice To Me

Hi all,

Being the proud owner of a 1993 'Kouki' series GT-R V-Spec I wanted to ascertain the exact spec for that model (for maintenance purposes) and also the differences between it and the standard GT-R from that series. I found that there is no definitive information regarding this on the internet, and in fact there seems to be a fair bit of misinformation.

So I wrote a letter to Nissan in Yokohama (one English version and a formal Japanese translation).

They responded about three weeks later with a very polite letter in English and a whole heap of info in Japanese. In the letter they advised that the only differences are that the V-Spec has BBS 17" wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE010Z 225/50R17 94V tyres and Brembo brakes. My understanding is that this is the same for the 1994 V-Spec II model, although the tyres had become slightly wider (245/50R17).

The information enclosed with the letter was all in Japanese and is the following:

• What appears to be an entire technical bulletin from February 1993 containing the 'upgrades' from the 9/91-1/93 'Chuki' series to the 2/93-12/94 'Kouki' series. This is in the form of an addendum to the service manual and seems to cover the revised (Pull type) clutch, V-Spec Brembo brakes and sundry other information. The great thing about this is that it covers the changes from the Aussie delivered 'Chuki' model to the newer model, so if we can get a translation of this bulletin it will cover the upgrades to '93 and '94 models not shown in the readily available Nissan Australia (English language) service manual.
  • An extract from the 1993 showroom brochure with markups showing the parts of that document that cover the differences between the standard 1993 GT-R and the V-Spec model. I've got an original copy of this, but I can't read Japanese so this copy is handy as it shows where the differences is narrated in the brochure.
  • What apears to be a marked up extract from the 'Chassis' section of a service manual showing the specs of the standard and V-Spec Brembo brakes and illustrating the Brembo calipers. The markups give part numbers for rotors and calipers and (part?) codes OPB27V and OPB13V for the front and rear Brembo systems. Google indicates that they are the exact models that the R33 GT-R uses, which isn't really surprising, but it's good to know exactly what they are so that replacement parts can be sourced with confidence.

I've attached all of those docs below.

The text of my letter was:

02/11/2012

1-1 Takashima 1-chome

Nishi-ku

Yokohama-shi

Kanagawa 220-8686

Japan

Hello,

My name is Michael Townsend. Please accept my letter written in both English and Japanese. I do not speak Japanese (English is my first language) however I have had the text translated for courtesy. I hope that you can please respond in English?

I have recently purchased a Japanese domestic market Nissan BNR32 GT-R V-Spec and I hope that you can please provide some technical information regarding that model. I know that this was a very limited edition model (1,453 units only) and a significant model in the history of Nissan (produced to celebrate three years of Nissan victory in Group N and Group A racing). My car is chassis number BNR32-305366 and it is a low kilometre example (69,000 kilometres) and unmodified, so I wish to maintain it with the respect that it deserves.

I know that there are some differences between the BNR32 V-Spec and the standard BNR32 model, however I am finding it impossible to find exact specifications regarding the ‘upgraded’ items. The information that I have found is very imprecise. I understand that the upgrades include:

• ‘Brembo’ brand brakes at all wheels.

• ‘BBS’ 17” wheels.

• ATESSA E-TS 4wd computer with improved programming (possibly revised programme/map and 100 calculations per second?).

• ‘Stiffer’ suspension.

Are there more differences than these items?

Can you please send to me information regarding the exact specification of the ‘upgrades’ for the V-Spec model? The information that you can provide will be essential for me to maintain and preserve the car properly.

Can you please also advise if there was a ‘supplement’ or addition to the Japanese market service manual/maintenance manual for the upgraded items in the BNR32 V-Spec model?

I look forward to your response with enthusiasm. I have wanted to own a BNR32 GT-R for the last twenty years after Nissan won the Australian Touring Car Championship with the GT-R in 1990-1992. I am very excited to now own an excellent example and I want to care for it properly in the future.

Thankyou.

Kind regards,

Michael Townsend

To add to the knowledge base, I have attached all of the docs that they sent me. Maybe one of you can translate and share?

Enjoy!

Mike

Nissan 22-11-12 Letter Re R32 V-Spec.pdf

Nissan R32 'Kouki' GT-R Service Manual Update 02-1993.pdf

1993 R32 GT-R Brochure Extract With Nissan Markups.pdf

Nissan R32 GT-R Service Manual Extract - Brakes inc Brembo.pdf

Well - I've checked FAST with my VIN, and another (non-V-Spec) VIN from October 1993 and there IS a difference in the part numbers for the ATESSA control unit.

4785012U00 - R32 GT-R V-Spec ATESSA E-TS control module

4785005U00 - R32 GT-R V-Spec ATESSA E-TS control module

I can confirm that my car has 4785012U00 installed.

Some more correspondence with Nissan Japan may be required.

As an aside, I wonder why the two R32 V-Spec models ride higher than the standard model if there are no suspension differences?

Worked this one out - it's because of the tyre difference. According to http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp:

Standard GT-R tyre 225/50R16 radius = 315mm

V-Spec GT-R tyre 225/50R17 radius = 328mm

The difference is approximately 15mm, which is what the dealership brochure specs show. Using FAST, I can see no difference in part numbers for struts or springs front and rear for standard and V-Spec GT-R.

15mm total is 7.5mm in ride height though

Hi Iplen :)

I was looking at the tyre radius mate, not the diameter. The (approximately) 15mm increase in distance from hub centreline to circumference of tyre will add 15mm to the ride height.

Tell me about your V-Spec II. What's your VIN number?

Worked this one out - it's because of the tyre difference. According to http://www.1010tires...ecalculator.asp:

The difference is approximately 15mm, which is what the dealership brochure specs show. Using FAST, I can see no difference in part numbers for struts or springs front and rear for standard and V-Spec GT-R.

I am pretty sure Vspec 1 came with 235/45R17 and Vspec 2 is 245/45R17

LOL! Well done Bob. Santa might bring you something for Christmas ;) I'm getting something for mine tomorrow - a Real Emotion GT-R dash mat to save it from bubbling up! It arrived just in the nick of time from Japan... this morning.

So we have:

V-Spec II GT-R tyre 225/50R17 radius = 326mm

That pretty much covers the differences between the V-Spec and the VSpec II model, except that the V-Spec II had a sticker on the rhs of the boot and the V-Spec didn't.

My mistake, you guys are correct, I have failed as a 32 GTR owner lol. My Christmas present for mine arrived last weekend, NISMO floor mats so I don't wreck my original one's even though I have only done about 1000km in her this year. Also have close to $1000 dollars worth of parts to tidy up mine up a bit more on the inside, have been sitting in the shed for almost 3 months just haven't had the time to fit them, but have 2 weeks off over Christmas so I will spend one day fitting all the parts. I have a dash mat on my car as well, for exactly the same purpose to stop the dreaded dash bubbles, got a mate who works in a trim shop to make one up for me.

I wonder why they change the tyre radius between Vspec 1 and 2?

Hehehe! No fail - just additional GT-R geekishness.

Nice move with the mats. I'm considering doing the same. Mine came with a great set but no driver's mat. I've got a mate in Japan who's going to ask the local dealer what the part number is for the originals, and if they're still available there. The 'Accessories' section of FAST for the R32 GT-R isn't visible on my copy, and even my local dealer here in Adelaide can't access it. The ADM part number is different, so I reckon that the locally delivered cars got different mats. Bob - maybe you can confirm that?

It's good to hear that someone else cares for the interior too. Mine came with new in box centre console (handbrake boot was worn) and gear shift boot, so I fitted them fairly promptly when the G-Sensor was getting some attention. At some stage soon I'll splash out the $300 required for a new pair of B/C pillar trims, because the coating is coming away on mine. Other than that, mine is pretty good.

Tyre width? No idea really? I can see that they kept the diameter very close to the first V-Spec so that the ATTESA etc. wasn't affected. Maybe they just thought that a bigger contact patch was required - possibly because the V-Spec ATTESA is (rumoured to be) more aggressive, i.e. more front oriented and faster to respond than the standard unit. I hope to clear that unknown up with another letter to Yokohama.

Hehehe! No fail - just additional GT-R geekishness.

Nice move with the mats. I'm considering doing the same. Mine came with a great set but no driver's mat. I've got a mate in Japan who's going to ask the local dealer what the part number is for the originals, and if they're still available there. The 'Accessories' section of FAST for the R32 GT-R isn't visible on my copy, and even my local dealer here in Adelaide can't access it. The ADM part number is different, so I reckon that the locally delivered cars got different mats. Bob - maybe you can confirm that?

It's good to hear that someone else cares for the interior too. Mine came with new in box centre console (handbrake boot was worn) and gear shift boot, so I fitted them fairly promptly when the G-Sensor was getting some attention. At some stage soon I'll splash out the $300 required for a new pair of B/C pillar trims, because the coating is coming away on mine. Other than that, mine is pretty good.

Tyre width? No idea really? I can see that they kept the diameter very close to the first V-Spec so that the ATTESA etc. wasn't affected. Maybe they just thought that a bigger contact patch was required - possibly because the V-Spec ATTESA is (rumoured to be) more aggressive, i.e. more front oriented and faster to respond than the standard unit. I hope to clear that unknown up with another letter to Yokohama.

Nissan is no longer making accessories for the r32's anymore, that's what I have been told by my local dealer, I tried to get a set of wind deflectors and they couldn't pull up a part number for them and they got on to Nissan in Brisbane they apparently accessories are no longer available, which is a big shame. I have 2 sets of the quarter glass trims, all brand new in box one set to fit to the car and another as a spare for when the new ones eventually start to fall apart.

Mjtown, I should have paid a bit more attention (even the measurements make it pretty obvious) no more interneting before coffee ;) Mine's fairly stock, but I think it has an intersting story behind it, I just need to find it out..

It has Nismo strut/body bracing and clutch slave, braided lines for brakes and clutch, some sort of twin plate, no Hicas, it had 2 harnesses in it, bonnet pins, oil cooler and the normal breathing mods, also 2 marks on the roof from where paint has been repaired on either side at exactly the same spot, like where a light bar has sat. However, it still had the speed limiter, ceramic turbos, stock suspension, and had clearly not been pulled apart all that recently. VIN is BNR32310112 which has been confirmed in FAST. The car itself is a bit rough paint wise, but that can be repaired.

Wow, that does sound interesting! It sounds like it might have been a pace car or safety car.

I'm going to start a new thread for people to introduce and discuss their R32 V-Spec's and V-Spec II's (including N1 V-Spec's and N1 V-Spec II's) so that this thread doesn't go off topic. It'll be a register of R32 V-Specs that are still about - maybe we can also log those in Australia and those overseas, a bit like the ADM R32 GT-R thread (where Bob is a regular). I'll ask that people specify the VIN and Model codes from their car to verify that it is a genuine V-Spec or V-Spec II - maybe even with a photo of their chassis plate to go with photos of the car. I think that they are a sufficiently rare and unique model to warrant this.

I'll kick it off with an initial post including what info is required for each car that is added, and some bits and pieces about my car.

Given that it's Christmas today (and my car's covered in shit after a round trip drive from Adelaide to Melbourne) I'll probably get to this tomorrow when I'm not so frantic and the car has been cleaned!

Cheers guys!

Mike

Ps - Merry Christmas!

• 1 month later...

Righto... I sent an email to Japan:

Dear Chikako,

Thank you very much for your letter dated 22 November 2012 (copy

attached here), and thank you very much for all of the technical

information that you included. It will be very helpful for correct

maintenance of my R32 GT-R V-spec. I hope that you are happy for me to

respond by email? I can send another letter if you would prefer.

In your letter you confirmed the special specifications of the R32 GT-R

V-spec and you also noted that there is no difference in the

specification of the ATESSA system in the R32 GT-R V-Spec and the

standard R32 GT-R.

I understand that the mechanical components of the ATESSA system are

the same for the V-Spec and the standard model, but I wonder whether the

V-spec control module has a different function? I have had assistance to

use Nissan FAST software to investigate the part number for the ATESSA

E-TS control module and I have found that there are two part numbers for

the R32 series:

4785012U00 - R32 GT-R ATESSA E-TS control module (V-spec)

4785005U00 - R32 GT-R ATESSA E-TS control module

I have inspected the unit in the boot of my V-spec and I can confirm

that it has 4785012U00 installed.

Can you please advise whether there is a difference between the

function of these two units?

Thankyou very much again.

Kind regards,

Michael Townsend

And I received this response:

February 8, 2013

Dear Mr. Michael Townsend:

Thank you again for your email dated February 6, 2013, concerning your

Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R V-spec.

Regarding the function of ATESSA, there is no difference between R32

GT-R V-spec and standard R32 GT-R. The reason why two different parts

are used is because the diameters of tires for R32 GT-R V-spec and

standard R32 GT-R are different.

Also, please refer to the attached information though all the

information is written in Japanese.

We hope the information will be useful for you.

Sincerely yours,

Chikako TAGUCHI

Customer Communication Center