SAU Community

Coilpack Replacement - Bang For Buck? What Works The Best?

looking to replace my old coils, s1 rb25, rb20, rb26 etc.

ive done a bit of research and there are a few options.

1. clean it. this has been documented on the net

2. buy new oem. in an old thread, pricing for these were less than splitfires and dyno runs said they held more boost. not looking to run more than 21ish psi so not sure to use these or aftermarket ones

3. aftermarket coilpacks. splitfires are decently priced now but what other brands out there are also good?

any discussion or help would be much appreciated!

=)

OEM seems to be the best. . .people will look towards Yellowjackets or Splitfires because of the cheaper cost. . .(oem is double the cost of split's or yellow's here)

I cleaned my oem's and ran them for a few months until my Yellowjackets came in. . .runs much better now. . .

Would be nice to see a side by side comparision between a few types to determine which do run better. . .

If you can get some brand new OEM ones at a good price (I did but don't see that ad on ebay anymore) that would be no 1.

Then Splitfires then Yellow jackets but read the above thread and make your own mind up!

I went with JustJap coil packs the first time = FAIL after 18 months (crap product and total waste of money)

The replacement Split fires still going great!

I would only go for OEM or Split Fire based on my and other peoples experiences.

As for the cheaper options it seems to be one of those parts where you really do only get what you pay for

Splitfires.

I had a customer buy "oem" coilpacks from ebay. Looked the goods. Turned up the boost to 18psi and 1 coilpack blew apart literally. Splitfires running strong still

+1

Happy Splitfire owner here!

seriously, do not bother with anything other than Splitfires, will be your safest bet out of all options. lowest failure rate of all by far IMO

Probarly true, but still nothing wrong with OEM/yellow jackets. I bought a set of yellows early last year (to replace a set of splits...blamed incorrectly for miss) and i couldn't be happier with the product... the fact the old splits are still packed in a box under my work bench is a good indication of how happy i'am. Yellow jackets have a good warrenty and the i beleive the quality issues when they first came on the market have long been sorted.

Splitfires.

I had a customer buy "oem" coilpacks from ebay. Looked the goods. Turned up the boost to 18psi and 1 coilpack blew apart literally. Splitfires running strong still

Confirming this, I was said customer for this. Get the splitfires they are handling 20psi nicely.

I also say the Splitfires are the smart choice. Almost no early failures reported with them, able to handle as much power as you'd expect an OEM spec/design coil to handle before needing to upgrade to a bigger system.

The budget friendly versions have been hit and miss. The Nissan coils were initially far too expensive, then became comparable to Splitfires (in price and performance), then apparently started getting cheaper than Splitfires but started not working properly. Can only guess that fakes started to come onto the market.

The only thing that hasn't changed across all that time is that the Splitfires have been good.

Edited by GTSBoy

I've used splitfires on my 33 and near new OEM items on my GTR

Both have worked very well...

Though the GTR does have twice as much power and boost :D

Yeah, OEM are great, just make sure they are OEM, couldn't tell if mine were fake or not.

how much money have you got and how high are you aiming? You want the best? Get out your wallet son, its gonna hurt. For a mid range to high end solution look at the okada direct plasma coils, bloody good gear, had them on my evo 7. 35 pound, 2kcc and a 2.3, NEVER missed a beat. Buuut, little pricey.

can anyone here testify for splitfires being in their car for more than 5-6 years? from what i understand (limited internet racer knowledge) the splitfires work/provide a stronger current/spark over OEM - hence alot of guys experiencing an increase in acceleration as well as needing to gap their plugs differently. a downside to this from what i read tends to be that the longevity of the Splitfires is diminished allbeit negligibly over OEM

anyone looking to buy the likes of yellowjackets / Just Jap / Super Spark - these are fine as they are known to have better local warranties over Splitfires but just note that they are made in the likes of china/thailand etc where is OEM and Splitfires are made in Japan

the only coilpacks that i've read about which are engineered far over the OEM units are OKADA Projects Plasma Direct Coil Packs which is run in a few marquee Skylines in Japan

a blog entry i read here;

http://www.leonardfoong.com/2009/10/okada-plasma-direct-ignition-coils.html

not cheap at about $1600 a set

http://www.rhdjapan.com/okada-projects-plasma-direct-coil-packs-rb26-50511

hope this helps or further confuses some of you