SAU Community

The Complete Ethanol Thread

• 8 months later...

Hey all,

Just wanted to ask a quick one about fuel filters. What are you guys using these days? I've read a number of older posts about using the standard Ryco filters, some good some bad. I'm also aware of the situation with needing to replace fuel filters regularly just after switching to E85 until the system is clean. So right now I'm considering three paths.

1. I stick with the Ryco paper filter and just replace it regularly.

2. I stick with the Ryco paper filter for now, then after my first tank of E85, switch to a billet filter (Aeroflow, Speedflow, Proflow, or similar?)

3. I switch to a billet filter now, before getting the E85 tune.

At the moment I'm leaning towards option 3 for a couple of reasons. Firstly I have the standard feed line to my Ryco filter, then a -6 fuel line to my HKS rail. It works, but considering the Ryco filter has 5/16 push on barbs, it doesn't quite fit as nicely as I would like. With the billet filter I could use a -6 AN fitting on one side, and a -6 AN to 5/16 tail barb on the other side. Second, if I need to replace filters regularly, would a washable element not be a cost effective solution?

• Like 1

Do you know what micron filter element you've got, Scott?

Another one, where are people mounting their GM flex-fuel sensors? I've got the flow through type and I thought I could mount it between my regulator and return line in the engine bay, but I can't see it happening. This thing is quite hard to mount with the factory hard lines :glare:

Do you know what micron filter element you've got, Scott?

Another one, where are people mounting their GM flex-fuel sensors? I've got the flow through type and I thought I could mount it between my regulator and return line in the engine bay, but I can't see it happening. This thing is quite hard to mount with the factory hard lines :glare:

In the boot. Tee off the return line just before it drops back into the tank. Hidden sensor FTW!

In the boot. Tee off the return line just before it drops back into the tank. Hidden sensor FTW!

Yeh? I did think of putting it there. Could maybe work something out... All seems a bit tight though, I can hardly see my return line let alone find a place to put two tees into it :/

Edited by Hanaldo

Yeh? I did think of putting it there. Could maybe work something out... All seems a bit tight though, I can hardly see my return line let alone find a place to put two tees into it :/

BRB, taking a photo for you :P

I think it's 100 micron mesh.

Don't you want the sensor as close to the rail as possible?

I can't see how it makes any difference. Either way, once the fuel is mixed, it's the same. Just dontn belt it until you see the reading settle.

Ah, you got the little small thing.

Yeh so they say. Its fkn massive! Ideally I would mount it close to the rail, but I can't see it fitting anywhere unless I remote mount the sensor and run like 2 meters of hose to it :/

Yeh so they say. Its fkn massive! Ideally I would mount it close to the rail, but I can't see it fitting anywhere unless I remote mount the sensor and run like 2 meters of hose to it :/

Under the car?

Just curious why I've seen a few setups with the flex sensor mounted in the boot? Another car I've seen setup by UNIGROUP has the flex sensor in the boot too?

What are the benefits? Is it just a convenience thing or heat stress thing?

It's one less thing in an already full engine bay. No other reason.

How many free 0-5V inputs do you need on your ecu? The zeitronix Eca kit outputs fuel temp and ethanol % doesn't it?

1 I'm pretty sure. And yes fuel temp too. You can set up fuel temp correction too

Under the car?

Yeh this is what I was thinking of. It would be so much easier if I could cut the standard hard line, but I don't want to lose the flared end.

I think the easiest thing would just be to run a longer length of hose to the sensor. Just seems such a messy way of doing it :/