SAU Community

Vq35De Timing Chain Tension Guides

hey fello v35 drivers

so here i was driving my v35 and i hear this ticking pulled over had a look under the bonnet and it was a very faint ticking gave it a rev and was really loud,

i have since removed my rocker covers and inspected cams ect

i have also been researching on the net and have found numerious videos and other stories of the ( TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER GUIDES) seeems that the sound i am hearing is very very much the same as the videos i have watched. is there any one ealse that may have come across this problem and i have been to nissan to find out about the issue and they want nothing to do with me and are a pack of assholes as i spoke to the spare parts man and he was a asswipe and wouldnt give me any help at all wouldent evan give me torque settings for the bolts that need to be removed ect i am yet to pull the timing case off the front of the engine. to further diagnose the noise, if any one has any helpfull info please help me out!!

Use the g35 workshop manual, its available online. I have a copy of the V35 one here too if you are local.

As for the noise, it sounds like a worn bucket, they are a pain to change. You would have to measure the excess lash and add it to the bucket height to obtain the size for a new bucket. (from Nissan)

The guides when they wear cause a rattly chain noise, not a tick, is it once each engine revolution approximately?

Where are you located?

If that's the case it isn't hard to check the tensioner, its in the left hand side black cover on the front of the engine. Make sure the tensioner is pushing on the guide in the right position.

VQ25's run a different tensioner and guide by the looks of it...