SAU Community

Drag Racing Gearbox

Morgs

i wasnt mouthing off i was voicing my opinion. i havent seen a hugos built transmission so i dont know what they modify inside to make them hold together. im speaking from experience from WHAT I HAVE SEEN not from what other people do.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the whole "trimatic is a piece of shit" comment isn't really voicing your opinion, it's making a judgement on a topic that you're not really qualified to express an opinion on. A more suitable comment would be "i havent had much experience with this gearbox"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
you havent seen enough then, your ass hole will blow before a built trimatic does! :D

Hey guys, i'm gonna give first hand experience here on trimatics.

I have a R31 with rb30det putting about 270rwkw. I'm currently on my second trimatic and at this point in time might be third soon.

I read this thread as i was looking for something better that can handle the power. Not that saying 270awkw is heaps, but i don't feel the trimatic is up to the task.

The first box i only made 190rwkw before i smashed the planetars/gearset. Dunno how just did, so seeing how i had the setup i got a hugo's box. Yep felt the same as the first one, no probs, but only 2000k's old and i have lost first gear, so its in the shop again getting rebuilt. Its giving me the shits as the bellhousing is so big that it is extremely difficult to remove. the trans tunnels in the skylines aren't big enough to start with and even though i have "massaged" the firewall still having issues..

Hugo only rates the trimatic at only 450hp, well taken into account the power losses through the drive train it is estimated that i have around 450-500hp at the crank. so i can't really think of any more power upgrades that i would like to do atm.

I had a chat to Mike at MV autos, he sugested the standard 4speed auto same as in the r33gtst(i think) and rebuild that up. he said he can build them to take up to 1000hp. The internal gearset is stronger than the trimatic and even jatco.

So that might be the next plan of attack as i'm looking to top 350rwkw in the future and crack 10's

Edited by Dj laBBy

I had a chat to Mike at MV autos, he sugested the standard 4speed auto same as in the r33gtst(i think) and rebuild that up. he said he can build them to take up to 1000hp. The internal gearset is stronger than the trimatic and even jatco.

The std r33 gtst gearbox is a JATCO so how can it be stronger than one? ;)

It's a great option for what you're talking about though.

I think he is refering to the Re4r01a skyline style jatco being much stronger than the older 4n71b style jatco. These days there are a lot of parts available for the later skyline style autos and can be built to handle 1000hp with full manual valve bodies,transbrakes,billet servos,wider band,stronger clutches and steels and a decent reverse clutch pack to live with the transbrake and i believe there are some t400 splined hituff input shafts on there way for those who break the standard ones that have been heat treated. The planetarys also need to be heat treated. If this box isnt strong enough then jatco also make the Re4r03a which is even stronger from what ive been told with larger shafts etc and all the manual valve bodies etc are also available for these. These were used behind the vg30dett and vq30det and also in some patrols in 4wd form that could be suitable for a awd gtr. The only real problem i see with the transbrake setup is that its only really suitable for drag racing as it has no compression braking but it is also available without the transbrake which would be suitable for the street and with a well setup converter should still launch fairly hard at the track.

I think he is refering to the Re4r01a skyline style jatco being much stronger than the older 4n71b style jatco. These days there are a lot of parts available for the later skyline style autos and can be built to handle 1000hp with full manual valve bodies,transbrakes,billet servos,wider band,stronger clutches and steels and a decent reverse clutch pack to live with the transbrake and i believe there are some t400 splined hituff input shafts on there way for those who break the standard ones that have been heat treated. The planetarys also need to be heat treated. If this box isnt strong enough then jatco also make the Re4r03a which is even stronger from what ive been told with larger shafts etc and all the manual valve bodies etc are also available for these. These were used behind the vg30dett and vq30det and also in some patrols in 4wd form that could be suitable for a awd gtr. The only real problem i see with the transbrake setup is that its only really suitable for drag racing as it has no compression braking but it is also available without the transbrake which would be suitable for the street and with a well setup converter should still launch fairly hard at the track.

So who builds these boxes??

Yah i was talking about the Re4 box. I have heard that the VG30dett boxes were pretty tough, might look into that.

How would they put in a t400 input shaft?? i guess the converter would have to be completely custom coz of that.

Kewl thanks for t he info.

The VG30 300ZX box is an RE403A - bigger, heavier internals but interchangeable components like valve bodies etc. MV build them, so do BMS, Wollongong Automatics and KEAS. Take your pic.

the 03A is also in the 4 speed patrols very good boxes. 01A's are in older model patrols and terranos also a good box. anyone who actually likes building gearboxes and actually cares can build them. the business i work for here in WA deal with KEAS and we make quite a few strong boxes up for race cars

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys thanks for all the info.

I ended up chatting to wollongong autos and looking at building the VL jatco 4speed. Its not as strong as the 3 speed, but will do the job.

Ended up opting out of the Re401 box. Just coz its not as proven with some places and others like bms that build them are looking at over 4k for a box.

Thats just a little too much for me atm. Plus wollongong autos just down the road, so he can fix me up if need be, not keep sending boxes interstate.