SAU Community

R33 Gts25T Popping Under Hard Acceleration

Hi all.

Just gave my 93 R33 a run at full throttle from about 60 kmph and it started "popping"

93 R33 gts25t

Only mod is turbo back full exhaust .

Standard boost, no pod.

The popping sounds the same as when it changes gear under heavy acceleration. It started around 5-6000 rpm and lost all power while it was happening.

Could it be?

A, fuel cut.

B, Detonation.

C, Faulty wast gate / Std Bov

I would love some opinions and to hear from anyone who has had this issue and fixed it.

Thanks all.

Hi all.

Just gave my 93 R33 a run at full throttle from about 60 kmph and it started "popping"

93 R33 gts25t

Only mod is turbo back full exhaust .

Standard boost, no pod.

The popping sounds the same as when it changes gear under heavy acceleration. It started around 5-6000 rpm and lost all power while it was happening.

Could it be?

A, fuel cut.

B, Detonation.

C, Faulty wast gate / Std Bov

I would love some opinions and to hear from anyone who has had this issue and fixed it.

Thanks all.

Also it didnt happen anywhere near as much if I accelerated slowly to full throttle still did a couple of pops but held its power.

Yup you got it. Exactly the same.

Ill start working on the electrical side as soon as i have done the fuel pump.

I changed the filter and it helped a little.

Its going to go something like this,

Fuel Pump, injectors and the things that they include..

then ignition side coil pack, leads plugs.

Im not looking to make it a rocket ship it will just be nice to have it running at full capacity.. (foot to floor no issues)

Check your FPR, pull the vac line off it and have a sniff.. If it smells like fuel, then it's a faulty FPR.

I had the same problem as you, but my issue was contaminated fuel..

Could also be a faulty pump.

By the way, do you have a larger pump ? Say a 040 ? If so, they hate 1/4 tanks of fuel lol (well mine does anyway) and it surges on boost..

Firstly im going to get the std pump to 12 v so its running at full pressure and see if that makes a difference. After that ill fit the 040 as the DIY topic explains.

I take it "FPR" is Fuel Pump Return line?or something to that description?? The one that runs from the engine back to the tank past the filter??

• 3 weeks later...

had similar problem after fitting 3" hi flow cat. changed plugs to iridium and reduced gap slightly 0.9 mm i think, smaller gap better when combustion pressures are higher as fuel harder to ignite. gave coil packs a good clean as there was carbon around them. ran fine then. drew