SAU Community

Cals Budget 32 Build

Hey guys and girls decided to start a thread about the new project i have taken on. Brought this car a few weeks ago as a rolling shell. Has complete rear end (stock 32 gtst) with tailshaft included.

The main things besides cosmetics it needs are an engine (RB20DET), gearbox, complete loom and brakes all around. Most work im doing at my bosses workshop and am hoping to complete the project on a budget of around $3500-$4000 excluding the $400 i paid for the car.

So far i have stripped interior carpets and cleaned floor area up. Car had been sitting in the elements for a while and resembled a swamp due to sunroof being wide open and no rear window. Included are some before and after shots of the interior during clean up.

Will keep posted on major events. As i said so far, AC has been removed, Interior cleaned and stripped (note sound dedening stuck to floor is staying due to only being a drifter and track pig not a 10 second drag car, weight not a big deal).

Next will be HICAS system out and engine bay cleaned ready for motor.

Future plans are:

- RB20DET (stock for now)

- Side piped exhaust for open track days and full system for texi

- Plexi quarter windows

- Recaro front seats (which i already have :) )

- Shimmed diff

- Coil overs

- Alloy radiator

- Surge tank in boot

- Operational sunroof

- Weld in cage (down the track)

And thats bout it should be driveable. Enjoy the pics and will post more as I go along.

Off the tow truck

IMG_0789.jpg

Drivers floor B4

IMG_0796.jpg

Drivers Floor After

IMG_0799.jpg

Rear B4

IMG_0797.jpg

Rear After

IMG_0800.jpg

Looking back at the dash ready for seats

IMG_0802.jpg

Yes Risking definately makes me happier seeing it clean. I can thank you for the nice straight shell :) also will be definately seeing you for the cage once she is up and going :) Oh and gerry the standard RB20 box for now as not running big power so no need for anything silly, and an exedy Heavy duty clutch.

If you want an extra pair or hands to help for anything with the build I'm just in penrith :)

Have access to a shitload of tools, press, whole workshop...(shop is in parra though)

But am happy to help with anything on the build. I'm a mechanic with a bit of spare time lol...rare as

Edited by the_wolf

LOL thanks wolf. Yah im a mechanic aswell (if you couldnt tell by the shop lol) having to make time for this cause i want to drive it already. If you can weld you may come in handy for exhaust ect. Theres not alot i will need a hand with due to being a straight forward engine/gearbox combo nothing i havent delt with before but if you are bored your more then welcome to come have a look and pitch in. The HICAS will be coming out saturday hopefully and possibly pulling diff center out ready for locking :thumbsup: Been trolling the forums and hounding SSS about an engine/gearbox package and am also gonna try Just Jap :)

Haha true true about the shop...I'm a bit on the slow side today :/

Nah I suck ass at welding :( but my shop is one street from performance metalcraft and 100m from micks metalcraft lol so that's who I'd use

Well goodluck with it! If u find and extra pair of hands would make things quicker/easier let me know. Might come have a squiz anyway :)

No dramas wolf. The car mainly atm is getting worked on on saturdays, due to not a heap to do atm until i get an engine to pull apart and a box to mount. Just saving atm for the heart of the beast while getting little bits and pieces together. Mounted the Front fiberglass quarters to see how they look. they are pretty shmick :) well after some paint and proper alignment will look even better :thumbsup:

frontquarter.jpg

Not sure if you are set on the RB20 but i've been watching an RB25NEO with inlet and exhaust manifolds, OP6 turbo, injectors etc... Looks nearly complete... Its only $1250 and has about 70000kms on it... I wanted it for a spare but realised it'll just take even longer to get the car going and i cant blow it up if i dont get it running LOL

Yah was just looking for a pretty stock standard engine package to start being on a budget. But alot of people have said consider a 25 but IDK they are still fairly steep and so is the box sitting behind it conidering im trying to get this dont for $4000 or under.

Yes Risking definately makes me happier seeing it clean. I can thank you for the nice straight shell :) also will be definately seeing you for the cage once she is up and going :) Oh and gerry the standard RB20 box for now as not running big power so no need for anything silly, and an exedy Heavy duty clutch.

Ook just curious as your not working with alot of money and it being a drifter, might pay to get the box sorted first up. That being said, i know blokes that have been running a 20 box for well over a year in there drift hacks and never had an issue, for me though, i got 3 months.....lol

Will be watching this thread though, love seeing a neglected shell come back to life with some TLC, can't wait to see what you do with it to.

Honest man just go the 20'

Apparently it's a boat anchor...but a effin' cheap engine lol and with all the weight out of it, hks 25/30 or even just a rb25 turbo with basic bolt ons and tune to rest round 200 atw and you'll skid happy....most importantly, affordably:)

If you happen to pop a 20' another one will be cheap as everyone knows

Yah they are cheap but getting harder to find. But if worst comes to worse i can pull it out and just re-seal everything or replace whats broke. My main goal is to just have it running first. Im not a complete thasher of a driver, I try drive hard but without hitting the limiter every 5 seconds :thumbsup: Just found out my mate who has a 32 GTsT has put a deposit on an RB26 for his ride so has offered me his RB20 and box for cheap. Then i will only need wiring and computer. See how we go. Also may have a couple of sponsors lined up from some of my local suppliers. One includes a tire shop (Most important :nyaanyaa: )

Lol cheering :)

Is your mate with the Gtst in st Clair too? I sold an r200 last week to a guy talking about a 26' in his 32 Gtst in st Clair

Im no expert but I guess any kind of Motorsport on a budget involves more driving of the car than it does building up a catalogue of best-in-the-world parts on the car.

The more bum in seat time you have, the better. It's not about making a 300+kw monster, it's about getting the car consistent and reliable with mild upgrades to make it fun, and get as much time actually in the seat as you can

Yah exactly right wolf. Which is exactly the plan ive got. Anything can be drifted pretty much just as long as you keep it reliable then theres no dramas. With more power comes less reliability by pushing components to their limits. I did a TEXI day in my R33 with stock suspension with worn rear shocks and stock motor. Had heaps of fun still :) Now she has coil overs and adjustable front end you notice the difference and even more fun now :)

Just a small update. Going to clean the boot out tonight (pics to come) but polished the only headlight i have and this was the result. Just some plastic headlight polish and prepsol. Bit of elbow grease and vola! Unfortunately after spending 20 min doing this i went to trial fit to front of car and most of the plastic mounts at the back of the light are broken pinch.gif Well it was good practice.

Before:

32headlightb4.jpg

After:

32headlightafter.jpg

• Like 1

Nice does he want rear seatbelts? just pulled em out, or all the boot lining for the sides and rear i have. Exhaust would be good, but would love an engine to put it on first lol.