SAU Community

Vq25Det Aftermarket Camshafts?

dcdc

Common sense? I hear he is into Mercury for a LOT of coin. (and it still isn't going)

Yea man common sense.... No one gets out of Mercury cheap.... I would like to see how much they charged him for just the gearbox.

I ended spending nearly $5000 to make my auto do what I wanted it to do and I still wasn't happy...

The whole Manuel conversion from start to finish really only cost $3200. And It does what I want and is waay stronger....

I just wonder why not many other people have tried it.

But we're not driving race cars man...or even sports cars. They're big and heavy and are never going to make huge power or handle like a Porsche.

I think Scott is the only one with a built auto, everyone else seems to get by pretty fine with the stock one and the common power upgrades.

I think it's about negligible gains, what you'd have to invest time & money wise to make it manual would still leave you with a big heavy car with a small engine that gets whipped by lots of cheaper performance cars. Then you'd miss the ease of the auto for daily trips.

Each to their own anyway but yeah can't see it becoming a popular conversion.

Yea man common sense.... No one gets out of Mercury cheap.... I would like to see how much they charged him for just the gearbox.

I ended spending nearly $5000 to make my auto do what I wanted it to do and I still wasn't happy...

The whole Manuel conversion from start to finish really only cost $3200. And It does what I want and is waay stronger....

$3200... Hahaha...

My Nismo clutch cost nearly that, and it might not handle the torque I want to throw through it, (same with the 6spd 350z box.)

The built auto is taking it fine, as long as I keep the boost under 30psi.

The best option is the 34 GTR box conversion, but the cost is worth more than the car's value, and I aint cutting up my floor pan for it thats for sure.

• 2 months later...

But we're not driving race cars man...or even sports cars. They're big and heavy and are never going to make huge power or handle like a Porsche.I think Scott is the only one with a built auto, everyone else seems to get by pretty fine with the stock one and the common power upgrades.I think it's about negligible gains, what you'd have to invest time & money wise to make it manual would still leave you with a big heavy car with a small engine that gets whipped by lots of cheaper performance cars. Then you'd miss the ease of the auto for daily trips.Each to their own anyway but yeah can't see it becoming a popular conversion.

I realise not everyone wants a manual...... But most people I talk to say they would like to do it. Like everything with cars if you know what your doing and do it right it won't cost you a lot of time and money.

I know they're not "race cars" or "sports cars" they're a family wagon which is what most people get them for and what I originally bought my first one for.

Although they're not that heavy in comparison to other sports wagon like the Legacy, Commodore or Legnum they're lighter than a RS4 (and more even corner weighted) 50kg+ lighter than a R35 GTR. And with a few custom rear suspension bits they handle well.. not as well as a Porsche but better than a RS4 IMO....

You may still get beaten buy a cheaper "performance" cars that aren't comfortable or quite without climate control.

But yes standard un modified they are a great comfortable car my wife's was stock. I modified mine because that's what I like to do.......

$3200... Hahaha...

My Nismo clutch cost nearly that, and it might not handle the torque I want to throw through it, (same with the 6spd 350z box.)

The built auto is taking it fine, as long as I keep the boost under 30psi.

The best option is the 34 GTR box conversion, but the cost is worth more than the car's value, and I aint cutting up my floor pan for it thats for sure.

Yes $3200..... I know it hilarious

If you thought outside the box you would buy a whole GTR....

And maybe not use a R34 box so you don't have to cut the floor...

I never had a problem with the auto taking the power it's just too slow and delayed when shifting up and down during spirited driving that was my biggest problem with the whole car...

Just to elaborate on that...... I bought a smashed R32 GTR used the box and atessa system and sold of the engine, diff, brakes ect for more than what a paid for the whole car.....

And I know about the RS4 because my brother owns a B7 RS4...

And maybe not use a R34 box so you don't have to cut the floor...

Any of the GTR boxes will need the floor cut and shut, as the Stagea gearbox mounts right where the GTR transfer case sits. You either need to cut the floor or extend the transfer case backwards like I was planning.

I never had a problem with the auto taking the power it's just too slow and delayed when shifting up and down during spirited driving that was my biggest problem with the whole car...

You never had a problem because you weren't pushing 800nm of torque. If your only issue is the shifts, why didn't you just fit a PCS electronic transmission controller. Perfect shifts every time and fully programmable.

Any of the GTR boxes will need the floor cut and shut, as the Stagea gearbox mounts right where the GTR transfer case sits. You either need to cut the floor or extend the transfer case backwards like I was planning.

You never had a problem because you weren't pushing 800nm of torque. If your only issue is the shifts, why didn't you just fit a PCS electronic transmission controller. Perfect shifts every time and fully programmable.

I didn't "cut and shut" the floor... But I didn't say that I didn't move metal..

Never once stated how much power or torque I was making. Nor did I state modifications.

PCS controller wasn't around 8 years ago..

I have a R34 GTR gearbox with a mangled input shaft that no one wants...

You can have it. I'll even deliver it in person.

I didn't "cut and shut" the floor... But I didn't say that I didn't move metal..

Never once stated how much power or torque I was making. Nor did I state modifications.

PCS controller wasn't around 8 years ago..

I have a R34 GTR gearbox with a mangled input shaft that no one wants...

You can have it. I'll even deliver it in person.

So the car is defectable, not that it matters, these Stagea's are worth 10k at most in good condition.

So you did the manual swap 8 years ago and never told anyone? Thanks for showing us. :P

Why are you here asking us questions then?

So the car is defectable, not that it matters, these Stagea's are worth 10k at most in good condition.

So you did the manual swap 8 years ago and never told anyone? Thanks for showing us. :P

Why are you here asking us questions then?

Yea "defecable "

Now I am Australian but what country am I in and what country is the car in??

I've told heaps of people... One of which did a manual awd conversion to his M35..

And I don't remember asking anyone on here any questions.

Yea "defecable "

Now I am Australian but what country am I in and what country is the car in??

I've told heaps of people... One of which did a manual awd conversion to his M35..

And I don't remember asking anyone on here any questions.

You obviously don't want to give out any of your hard earned info, which is fair enough. I can only use my imagination to guess what you did. :/

Pics or it didn't happen.

• Like 1

Can't believe he compared a stageas handling to an rs4...wow, I love my car but wow.

I'm an Audi guy & I wouldn't be surprised if my M35 outhandled a B7 RS4, especially if the road wasn't dead smooth.

Audi's have notoriously firm suspension much more suited to the track.

There is/was an interesting article years ago on AutoSpeed where JE (4WD Audi - not sure of model) followed his wife (Lexus or similar) down the mountain thru the twisties when they lived on Gold Coast hinterland. When they got to the bottom he gave her heaps about driving way too fast (he was sliding etc) & she was like "what?" He then drove the Lexus & realised the softer handling made for a faster car.

I'd still rather have the Audi....

• Like 1

Yeah, could be right. I've driven many a Rs4 and it's definitely stiffer than the m35. Maybe it's just the beautiful v8 that makes it feel so much better/quicker.

Like I said I love my stag but, different ball game IMO.