SAU Community

Vq25Det Aftermarket Camshafts?

dcdc

There doesn't seem to be any aftermarket cams available specifically for the VQ25DET...

Does anyone know if aftermarket cams for the VQ35DE are compatible with the VQ25DET heads?

What differences are there between the VQ25DET and VQ35DE heads?

What are you looking for? With a good flowing head there isnt much need for cams in our engine, especially with a 6500 redline.

That said, I think the 3.5de cams are similar, will they drop in? Probably but dont quote me. You can come here and try if you like, I have a spare of each engine.

The VQ30 doesnt have cam adjustment, the VQ35de has hydraulic adjustment called cvct and the VQ25 has evct. Not sure if the cams are the same though, perhaps the actuator mechanisms are different but they bolt to the cams the same way?

I still havent gotten around to fitting the 25det heads to the 3.5, not sure they fit yet. Do you know? Why not just use the de heads?

DE heads would be easier in your franken-engine, and easier to control with Engine management.

I'd say you'd have a lot of trouble getting the ECU to control 4 electronic cams, rather than two hydraulic ones. But its up to you. What car is it in?

Jetwreck: More revs required to feed a bigger turbo...

Scotty: They will bolt together, yes.

How did you go with the 3.5 install? Was it all you hoped with the stock 2.5 turbo?

Bullshit. You dont need a 1200hp turbo, a GT35 will hit nearly 400kw, come on at 2500 if done right, and not have to rev past 7k. Revs over that are just wank and damaging your engine, not to mention costing you a fortune. What is your power goal anyway?

Like I said, you need advice but refuse to give us the information we require to help you properly. Dont just listen to your workshop, they dont know all as you have found out.

How did you go with the 3.5 install? Was it all you hoped with the stock 2.5 turbo?

Bullshit. You dont need a 1200hp turbo, a GT35 will hit nearly 400kw, come on at 2500 if done right, and not have to rev past 7k. Revs over that are just wank and damaging your engine, not to mention costing you a fortune. What is your power goal anyway?

Like I said, you need advice but refuse to give us the information we require to help you properly. Dont just listen to your workshop, they dont know all as you have found out.

what are you doing with this car.

1. I am tracking and I don't need more than 300AWKW's and 6,800RPM

2. Scott is chasing HP and straight line because his gay and doesn't need more that 7,500rpm to crack an 11!

3. Your trying to achieve what?

you have so many issues that you will need to get past mate......don't want to see money thrown in the wrong direction.

There's not a whole lot in the way of aftermarket support for our platform. Some workshops I approached didn't have the balls to touch the Stagea. However, my current workshop has done some amazing work on the car, turning the seemingly impossible into reality.

Those two times I've made enquiries on here, that's just me doing some private research, exploring certain possibilities. My workshop will make it happen.

Did they explain to you that aftermarket camshafts will make the turbo spool later, moving the power band further up the rev range? Its only useful if you plan for well over 400kw imo and losing midrange sucks.

At the end of the day a built auto wont handle much beyond 300, do you have the coin for a Getrag conversion?

The stock manifold wont support that sort of power either so I guess you are looking at twins? You will have to ditch the Attessa which makes that much power useless for the street.

I also have doubts the 2.5 will fit on the 3.5 block without first modifying the head chamber as the pistons are much larger, besides the 3.5 heads will flow much more than the 2.5 ones ever will, you just hit the actuaton brick wall and without the cam actuation the engine is very lethargic (as you may have already found out.)

Quote: turning the seemingly impossible into reality.

So what is it they have done for you? I can understand you want to keep it to yourself as you would be paying through the nose for the workshop to learn the engine's characteristics, but it doesnt help the Stagea community to keep secrets now does it. After all, this forum IS the aftermarket support for this platform.

Please dont take this as a personal attack, I only want you to know the path you're choosing may be a long and costly one.

Yes we are aware aftermarket cams will do that, and we're looking for far more than 400kw, on a stroked 3.5 block, custom manifolds.

The 2.5 was fitted on the 3.5 block by a previous workshop. They gave up, job half-done (needed engine management and tuning). The car drove, albeit in limp mode.

It's not my intention to keep secrets. Far from it, I just dislike babbling about things that aren't finished. Once I'm confident everything works I'll be more than happy to share. Results > talk.

A picture > 1000 words

post-78118-0-95596400-1329096036_thumb.jpg

Edited by dcdc