SAU Community

Crumbling Aftermarket Radius Rod Bushes

The car has nismo radius rods with blue aftermarket adjustable radius rod bushes, which are a couple of years old. I noticed a chunk of bush on the garage floor, so I checked them and both are crumbling.

Can anyone guess the brand based on the colour? Noltec?

Is there an alternative brand that handles more strain (deformation)? Which brand is working for you?

Yes probably noltec if they are blue (they also have an unusual knurled bolt to adjust them).

And I've only ever had the aftermarket ones last a few years of hard use....I'd just replace them if I were you

Oh really? That's a bit crap. Maybe i'll try Nismos then. I'll loose the adjustablility but they should last.

This is one part of the suspension whre I reckon the metal rod end type are worth the defect risk. I noticed the change in how well the car turned in the instant I changed from urethane to metal bushes.

Did you use more caster with new arm? Maybe that was why it felt a lot better. You've got me interested tho. Which ones did you get? Much difference in NVH? My car is 95% street.

Yeah, the chassis guy who does my alignment was completely unscientific and just wound them to shortest length! Says Skylines can use all the caster you can throw at them basically. But when I drove it first up, I had set them to exactly the same length as the factory arms with urethane bushes. So the initial feel was all in the change to the joints.

NVH is not really an issue. I noticed no increase at suburban speeds, regardless of surface. On fast country roads (anything from 100km/h upwards) there is some extra chatter, mainly on the sort of roads that have ripples in the bitumen from tree roots. On smoother surfaces they stay pretty quiet even at high speed.

I got some Tein ones, secondhand. Joints were in good condition, so I just lubed them and threw them on. They have to come off soon for my car to go through Regency after the engine conversion, but will go straight back on, as I couldn't see myself staying with the old ones.

Dark blue or light blue?

Light blue = noltec, dark blue = superpro.

Noltec are a lower duro than most of the other aftermarket ones, they may have just flexed a bit much seeing as it's a pretty big bush.

I'm running mostly noltec in the back of my s13 atm so might check them when i swap the rear brakes over in the next couple of weeks.

Dark blue or light blue?

Light blue = noltec, dark blue = superpro.

Noltec are a lower duro than most of the other aftermarket ones, they may have just flexed a bit much seeing as it's a pretty big bush.

I'm running mostly noltec in the back of my s13 atm so might check them when i swap the rear brakes over in the next couple of weeks.

They're not as dark as the photos here; http://www.superpro.com.au/find-superpro-parts-for-my-vehicle/part?id=SPF1202AK so i'm guessing they're noltec. Maybe i'll try superpro or whiteline...

SuperPro bushes have a 36 Months / 60,000 km warranty. Sounds like you may have had Noltec ones?

We carry the SuperPro ones in stock, ready for express dispatch:

http://www.jdmobsession.net/suspension-bushings/s13-silvia-180sx/spf1202ak-adj-caster-rod-bushes-s13-s14-s15-r32-r33-r34-z32-q45

Well that's an offer i cant refuse. I've ordered the SPF1202AK.

Cheers

I dont like using urethane for radius rods or anyway control arms. Because Polyurethane bushes are self lubracatning it causes them to shift a lot and also the twisting motion is what causes them to crumble. The only time i use urethane is in sway bar D bushes as its an advantage for the bar.

Im using Nismo radius rods and 2 years later they look and feel brand new and handle just as well and take 5 min each side to fit so its a lot easier than swaping bushes. Bad thing is it cost $300 for the set so its a lot more.

I dont like using urethane for radius rods or anyway control arms. Because Polyurethane bushes are self lubracatning it causes them to shift a lot and also the twisting motion is what causes them to crumble. The only time i use urethane is in sway bar D bushes as its an advantage for the bar.

Im using Nismo radius rods and 2 years later they look and feel brand new and handle just as well and take 5 min each side to fit so its a lot easier than swaping bushes. Bad thing is it cost $300 for the set so its a lot more.

Just like rubber, there are differing grades of polyurethane. SuperPro stuff is a unique compound. I've been using their products for years in my car without any issues.

Further, we have sold 1000s of SuperPro products in the past couple of years and have never had any returned with quality issues. We believe polyurethane bushes are a quality alternative to worn rubber bushes at a much lower price than brand new OEM rubber ones.

SuperPro bushes have a 36 Months / 60,000 km warranty. Sounds like you may have had Noltec ones?

I've used pretty much every brand of aftermarket bush (particularly in 32 upper arms), and found superpro to be no better or worse than any of the other brands.

And given OP confirmed he does some track work, how is the 3 year warranty affected?

I've used pretty much every brand of aftermarket bush (particularly in 32 upper arms), and found superpro to be no better or worse than any of the other brands.

And given OP confirmed he does some track work, how is the 3 year warranty affected?

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for your input. I wasn't meaning to start a brand war or make unsubstantiated comments, just wanted to make clear that we have never had any SuperPro products returned with any quality issues.

As for your question regarding warranty, there is no mention of track use in their warranty policy (here it is in full):

36 Months / 60,000 km

All SuperPro suspension components, which are supplied for the specific applications listed in the current catalogue and are fitted according to SuperPro fitting guidelines, are covered by a 3 year or 60,000km limited warranty from the date of the purchase and from the ORIGINAL owner.

This warranty is limited to replacement of the faulty component only, and does not cover the cost of removal and replacement and consequential damage, where this limitation is permitted under Australian State and Federal Legislation. All warranty returns must be submitted by an Authorised SuperPro Distributor and must be correctly tagged for identification purposes.

All Warranties (unless otherwise stated on the invoice) start from the invoice date and carry the months stated or the kilometres stated, whichever occurs first.

Source: http://www.fulcrumsuspensions.com.au/warranties.html

Hope that helps.

Pete

JDM Obsession

Duncan, do you run factory spec castor? I've wondered if non-spec castor puts a lot of force on those upper arm bushes because they're constrained in that dimension and chop out the bush. IIRC factory spec is 3.? degrees.

Also - do these bushes need a press to fit?