SAU Community

Rb20 Box Or Sr20 Box What One Is Stronger

Bsa

Hey everyone iv tried searching google and all that but I keep getting mixed answers. Now I'm putting a sr in my BMW and I have a sr box and a rb20 box either one will work I just want to know what one is better I don't want stupid answers only people that have used both. The sr box is out of a 180 type x and the 20 box is out of my old 32. The sr will be running a td06h-20g so I'm hoping around 260kw which the 20 box handled before. Anyone thats thinking buy a rb25 box I know they are better but a pain to fit up to a sr. Any info would be gold

RB20 and RB25 gearboxes bolt to the backs of RBs. So I would expect you would have the same issues using an RB20 box on an SR as you would an RB25 box on an SR.

The SR20 and RB20 internals are very similar though, with the same PPG and OS Giken part numbers anyway. So general health and age would be the determining factor one would think.

I would be sticking with the SR20 gearbox behind an SR20. Just be sensible with the sprung centre clutch and use good quality Castrol fluid and would be ok provided the car isnt being clutch kicked like a wet, stray dog

Yeah that's what I would do. I just don't want to put a weaker box on when I have both available I already need a custom shaft so I don't care about that. Also the shifter is in different locations the 20 box seems to line up near perfect. I'm not to worried about gearing as the diff in using (m3 LSD) is already in the 3.8 regon I think so that would decide most of how the car reacts.

Yeah sorry for the confusion iv never felt a sr box before well actually driven one I know my 20 box is still tight no crunching I also have a short shifter for it

They are for most part the same box, no real difference, just made for a different car. So go with the SR20 for ease of use. As for RB25 gearbox, you can buy SR20 adaptor plates so no cut and shut necessary. Running 260rwkw that's the path I'd heel heading down, personally.

I don't think it really matters which box you use. My experience has been that Nissan makes near indestructible gearboxes. (Although I have heard of 1 person who managed to lunch 3 RB boxes in a matter of months - probably using a VHD multi-plate clutch, and sidestepping the clutch at 7000 rpm.)

Since you are using a SR engine, it makes good sense to use a SR gearbox, IMHO.

I'm fairly careful with my things as I don't have money to throw at my car. I think I'll use my 20 box because I know it's good and cheap to replace thanks for the help boys

I can tell you now my 20 box seen more the 200 got 215 (nismo 260 cluster) before I slowed down on a private road of course diff is the main controll of top speed so the m3 diff would benefit from a shorter ratio box

Yuh, not even close to correct.  The RB20 will see over 180 km/h in 4th easily, run to much much more than 200 in 5th.  The main differences in ratios between SR cars and RB cars is that the RB diffs are shorter than 4:1 and the SR diffs are taller than 3.7:1.  The SR gearbox ratios are therefore better suited to the longer diff gears.

Bsa.  Just use the SR gearbox.  It is better suited to your engine and your diff ratio.

Edited by GTSBoy