SAU Community

E85/eflex And Oil Choice

SS8_Gohan

This is the kind of question that could be determined by someone with a fully equipped lab and lots of money e.g. the oil companies. The lack of precise information from them suggests that they know the likely answer or have already done the research and don't like the answer!

I have emailed Motul and am still waiting for a reply. I don't think sales reps are necessarily a good source of information - what we want are written answers from their tech departments.

Slightly off topic but I am planning to get the eflex set up even though I am only running E10 at the moment and the tuners complain that it varies from batch to batch. Does anyone know if the eflex set-up can adjust to suit different octane levels in petrol or does it only measure ethanol levels?

The sensor will only measure ethanol content but the slightly varying mixtures wont hurt much mate, its not like it will detonate anyway just run lean. Just ask for a slightly rich tune.

Buy a $200 wideband and make sure the mixtures dont lean out at wot, if they do just add some 98 to the tank. :thumbsup:

This is the kind of question that could be determined by someone with a fully equipped lab and lots of money e.g. the oil companies. The lack of precise information from them suggests that they know the likely answer or have already done the research and don't like the answer!

I have emailed Motul and am still waiting for a reply. I don't think sales reps are necessarily a good source of information - what we want are written answers from their tech departments.

Gulf western recommend many of their oils for ethanol/methanol use which is why I went with the Sougi with Ester base stock. Not sure where the idea ester is not ethanol compatable comes from... Hopefully the replacement is just as good.

and just to clarify something with my title, by E-Flex i mean Caltex's fuel (E70) not 'Flex-Fuel' like Paul and my car.

my only concern was running a 15w50 as a street oil, thinking it was perhaps a bit too heavy for every day use??

rather not change to 15w50 for track day, then back 10w40 for street all the time.

car was built on 10w40 Motul 300V (got most of the receipts for the build and servicing, glad i wasn't paying! lol :D)

so that's why i stayed at 10w40 with the AMSoil, but i don't know if the owner for track days changed to a heavier oil. Might see if i can use a contact in Japan to check with Midori if they run something thicker on track days

I don't know for absolute certain whether it causes a problem or not and which oils are ok and which are not based on personal testing or experience/knowledge. But when the Motul rep comes to my shop and asks if we use E85, then tells me we are not to use any Ester based oils, I don't question it, it's not worth the risk. I sent an email to Redline but they didn't respond. I asked around some of the V8 supercar teams we are close to and they all said they hadn't heard a lot but they were looking into it. Everyone knows E85 is new, it could just be a freakout from a couple of failures and they wanted to wait until testing was finished but I am still waiting for anyone of them to tell me it's ok to use. In the meantime i still think better safe than sorry so we'll use the oils from companies who have done the testing and can guarantee their product is ok with it

I bought my moto years ago off a guy who apparently was a lab rat for an oil company (cant remember which 1) and he swore on nothing else but an oil with ester as it stopped oils breaking down as fast. I wonder why ester is such a no no with ethanol?

i've been going through this process a bit, i've been watching this thread since the beginning but didn't post til i had something to share, i sent an email off to a bunch of oil manufacturers, the 1st one replied was penrite. the more i read into penrite, the more i'm convinced they are the way to go.

Dear Stewart,

Thank you for considering Penrite for your race car.

Our direct equivalent to the Motul product is HPR 15 fully synthetic (SAE 15W-60). The “extra 10” on that right hand side affords more protection as the oil “thins out” less with temperature than would a 15W-50. The temperatures of which you speak are well within the operating range of HPR 15, even 130 degrees presents no concern.

A more expensive option would be Racing 15 (SAE 15W-50), the new name for SIN 15. This is a shear-free oil for high performance applications.

No engine oil is comfortable with ethanol or methanol but in order to minimise fuel dilution we tend to go a little heavier. This makes Racing 20 (formerly called SIN 20) my recommendation for your particular needs (SAE 20W-60): this is also shear-free.

I’ve attached the relevant information sheets, for your consideration (including the “old” SIN 15 & 20).

Our Customer Service folk will tell you the prices.

Regards,

Alan Jeffery

Technical Department

Penrite Oil Company

tel 1800 110 080

fax 61 3 9801 0977

--------------------

Hello Stewart, further to Alan’s email I can provide Recommended Retail pricing for you on each of these, however this is a guide only and costs may vary from store to store.

HPR15 5lt RRP $45.53

Racing 20W60 5lt RRP $69

Racing 15W50 5lt RRP $69 all prices are inclusive of GST.

If you are looking for a stockist in your area please visit our website at www.penriteoil.com.au and use the store locator by postcode, this will give you a list of customers who stock Penrite in your area, any product they don’t have in stock they will be able to order on your behalf.

Cheers Kim

Kim Windahl

Customer Service Manager

Penrite Oil Company

T +61 3 8805 4448 | F +61 3 9800 4055

Hmmmmm im swapping over to caltex flex fuel in the next couple of weeks hopefully depending how soon my G4 link comes through but i just serviced my car with AMSOIL 10w40 which i was told was fine for ethanol :wacko: Any thoughts??? Ive got a new geniune nissan fuel filter ready to go once i have done 2 tanks as ive heard itll rip all the crap out of your fuel system is this true??? Lastly will E85 help reduce turbo lag?

Hmmmmm im swapping over to caltex flex fuel in the next couple of weeks hopefully depending how soon my G4 link comes through but i just serviced my car with AMSOIL 10w40 which i was told was fine for ethanol :wacko: Any thoughts??? Ive got a new geniune nissan fuel filter ready to go once i have done 2 tanks as ive heard itll rip all the crap out of your fuel system is this true??? Lastly will E85 help reduce turbo lag?

After 6 months of being on E85 I checked my filters and they were clean as.

Cheers for the reply so that eliminates 1 of the E85 wives tales but what about boost response does that improve with ethanol?

After 6 months of being on E85 I checked my filters and they were clean as.

Oh ok but i guess fuel systems can vary in condition so i guess its a case by case scenario as such.

yes, it will rip all the shit out, i had it so bad i had to run twin filter setup whilst i wasn't able to drop the tank

Cheers for the reply so that eliminates 1 of the E85 wives tales but what about boost response does that improve with ethanol?

I find it does. Going from low counts of ethanol (so say E10) and putting a full tank of E85 in the engine becomes so much more alive. When I did a back to back on my old setup, it came on about 300 RPM sooner (boost) and made more power everywhere.

Cant wait for the link to turn up so i can ditch the nistune and 98 lol i know u said it makes more power everywhere but is it noticeably better off boost too? Sorry for running off topic PM me piggaz if ya dont mind mate and any1 else who has swapped over id appreciate to hear from u boys and your E85 experiences and engine changing characteristics from the moonshine thank guysquote name='Piggaz' timestamp='1325588816' post='6173788']

I find it does. Going from low counts of ethanol (so say E10) and putting a full tank of E85 in the engine becomes so much more alive. When I did a back to back on my old setup, it came on about 300 RPM sooner (boost) and made more power everywhere.