SAU Community

Crd Built & Tuned Nissan Gtr R35 - Incar

CRD

Thanks for all the comments guys.

First up a massive thanks to CRD for all the time and effort that they put in to get this car to the mountain again, since last year we have put a cage in it, stripped out about 60kgs, added bigger injectors and Sucrogen E85 this all equals about 600 hp and 1050 nm of torque. Other than the new Bilstein Suspension & Forged Performance Sway Bars the car is the same as last year. The car ran so strong all week and we never had one reliability issue. Its a testament to Jim, Josh & Con at CRD - i recon Josh could be the No1 R35 mechanic in the country - no one has spent as much time on an R35 as he has. This car has run strong now for two and a half years and nothing has blown up or broken touch wood! I'm honestly surprised that the thing hasnt detonated given the absolute hiding ive given it...

Ive also got to thank Bilstein / Heasmans (Jonathon & Brad) for the Suspension set up and advice over throughout the event. If any of you guys out there are thinking about aftermarket Suspension then the Bilstein MDS gear from Germany is the only option (this is the same stuff used by Nismo but its the steel bodied shock Vs the Nismo aluminum gear. Forget all the others out there HKS, Tein, JRZ etc the Bilsteins are by far superior and best of all they are fully serviceable and tuneable here in Sydney at Heasmans. I'm also happy to share our Eibach Spring Rates plus Bump and Rebound settings.

Also massive thanks to Martin Donon from Willall. My gearbox has 26,000 kms on it with Willall fluid and it hasnt missed a beat. Martin also supplied me with the Brake Spray kit and it was simply awesome. This allowed me to really give the brakes punishment for 5-8 laps. Around Bathurst thats a massive effort so thanks Willall.

Lastly if you want to get a cage in this car then Chris from Killer Customs is your man...

Quick rundown of the event. Honestly on Thursday morning i was struggling to find set up and confidence in the car, i was lapping at about 2.25 and wasnt sure that i would go faster than last year.

We made so many changes with set up and i hadnt had a chance to test it at the creek before the event due to rain. Along with the Bilsteins we changed the Front Upper arms to the Dodson arms for -4 degree front Camber and we put Hard Race rear arms for -2.5 degree camber. I also went to a much bigger Michelin Slick 28/71/18 on the front and 31/71/18 on the rear. So to help find some confidence i asked Steven Richards if he could take me for a few laps in the car so i could see where the grip was. Bathurst is one of those places that you think you remember what its all about but then you quickly realise that its going to take some adjustment and your concentration levels have to step right up. Anyhow Steven did 2 laps with me and on his second lap ripped off a 2.19. That was it for me - i immediatley found what i was missing and next session out on Thursday i was lapping in the 2.19's as well. We then set about making some changes to the car. We changed the rebound settings and Bump settings and moved the front sway bar to full stiff. Friday morning i did a 2.17.9 and then asked Steven to again take me for a few laps - he did a 2.17.4 with me ridding passenger. From here it was just a matter of getting my lines tighter and getting the braking points perfect.

Sunday morning session we got the 2.15 straight up. The lap wasnt that clean and i made a few mistakes but the car was running out of Brakes by the 3rd flying lap and at turn 2, the S's and the Elbow i didnt think i would pull it up. I had to get it into the corners just a bit sooner than i wanted because the track was so dirty off line i didnt want to run the risk of going wide into the marbles which would have put me in the wall like one of the Lambo's. Anyhow if i had another crack i recon there may have been another 1-2 seconds in the lap but we'll save it for next year and go back and crack 2.10. thats the plan...

Must also thank:

Ryan & Sharif at Forged Performance

Stephen at Just Jap

Trevor from Michelin

Bruce Hibbard for just being a legend and giving me the confidence to push hard

sounds sweet

does it get boring not changing gears?....especially on the straight?(eg driver adjusting belts cause he has spare time to do shit down the straight)

adjusting belts because the car is so f**king fast i have to keep strapping in tighter.. when you hit the brakes it tries to throw you through the front window.

I dont think any traditional manual box could do a 2.15 - not unless they were a pro driver.

look at all the cars under 2.20 they have double clutch or sequential boxes which to me is basically the same.