SAU Community

Gauges

LotusGTR

So, I'm not one for having gauges up the a pillar or on top of the dash so I'm thinking the attached fits the bill nicely. Oil temp and pressure and water temp. Black faces and white light, red needles, so pretty much like stock. Any thought on these or suggestion on alternatives. I've done a brief search but can't find much of use. If anyone can point me in the direction of a relevant thread please do so.

http://www.egauges.com/defi_info.asp?DP=din_top.html

Other questions are best place to buy and what is involved with installation. Do they plug in and use the factory senders and wiring?

Cheers.

G'day Nick, let's not worry about gauges let's talk about your GT3 ok .... :P

But seriously, I don't know if I'd suggest these gauges. Where they will be mounted is a long way from your line of sight.... therefore realistically you'll seldom look at them.

GT3 has no silencing but for some large empty cans straight off the headers. It sounds like a figgin race car. Hope I don't get caught.......

I take you're point on the location of these, but when ever do you really look at the gauges other than 'when you can' in which case nowhere is a good place, and possibly no good time either! Specially if you've got 3 of them to clock...

I guess in tarmac you're always 'on', where as track work you've got the straights to check your stats.

I just want some way of knowing my real temps & pressure as as the OEM's are meaningless.

I just like to see them out of the corner of my eye, rather than having to actually turn my head and look at them, or worse, sort of kink your neck to look if they're in factory 32/33 GTR position.

I could forsee these being ok with the addition of a couple of warning lights for low oil pressure (@ 15/20 psi) and high water temp.

For my car I position them so I get used to seeing where the needles sit, like I say, just in the corner of my eye. But yes, I agree, a little ugly, but it works.

i've used these before. they are pretty good. only problem is no warning levels can be set. they come with their own sensors ( they do not interface with standard sensors/wiring etc). they are nice looking and easy to read though but yeah I prefer gauges where I can set warning levels then they let you know something's up with buzzer and a light.

For the oil system you're best to replace the sensors. Gauges that use a external warning light are the go. Best of both worlds, you can keen an eye on them on the straight, but you get a big red light if stuff goes wrong in the corners (which it will 99% of the time)

So for the sake of arguement, what about these? Questions would be:

Are sensors vehicle specific or is there an industry standard everyone works to? They off an STI

What type of workshop installs these? Autoelec or mechanic?

May have the engine out shortly (no 300ZX). Is this a good time to be fitting these sucker?

Do these having warnings?

Will people laugh at me for having blue gauges?

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/367741-defi-bf-x-4/page__p__5867864__hl__defi__fromsearch__1#entry5867864

Please can you recommend some specific alternatives and where to get them from?

Thanks guys.

I thought we were talking about the GT3?

You gonna bring that around and show me? :D

Nah, still got one of the 32s. GT3 is not for fiddling with, nor does it overheat etc so gauges are not necessary. Zer Germans built it you see. Would have been easier to give you a joy ride when you were south of the river. Drop me a line next time you're down my way.

What ECU are you going to run in the 32 Nick? If it has a CAN interface on it then I would consider a dash that you can set warning levels on. Do it once do it properly!

I am not one for guages on the dash, but the PowerFC doesn't do CAN. So for my 32 I have some of those BF Defi's which show a light and buzz.

Using a just jap pod mount http://www.justjap.com/store/product.php?productid=17332&cat=&page=3

So for the sake of arguement, what about these? they are fine, defi make excellent gauges, adjustable warning points, record function (great for oil pres, you go do a lap with it recording, come back to the pits and then replay to see if you're getting any surge).

Are sensors vehicle specific or is there an industry standard everyone works to? sensors are not vehicle specific, they are universal. that goes for all gauge brands they all use generic sensors.

What type of workshop installs these? regular mechanic is fine or you can DIY, defi's are VERY simple to install. there's only 1 small piece of wiring (power and illum to the controller) the rest is all just plugging stuff in.

May have the engine out shortly (no 300ZX). Is this a good time to be fitting these sucker? they can be easily fitted with engine in place.

Do these having warnings? yes they do. high point warnings for temps etc, low point for oil pres and fuel pres.

Will people laugh at me for having blue gauges? possibly. psersonally I like white illum or amber, bit more subtle. even green is ok.

Please can you recommend some specific alternatives and where to get them from? personally I'd buy defi's but get the new models. the BF and defi-link (like the ones you linked) are out of production now so you won't easily be able to buy more if you decide later you want EGT or fuel pres (both very handy). so either try and get a complete set used, or buy the new models.

your other option is a dash unit like a stack dash or aim dash. cost around $2K for a basic one but does pretty much all you need.

What ECU are you going to run in the 32 Nick? If it has a CAN interface on it then I would consider a dash that you can set warning levels on. Do it once do it properly!

I am not one for guages on the dash, but the PowerFC doesn't do CAN. So for my 32 I have some of those BF Defi's which show a light and buzz.

Using a just jap pod mount http://www.justjap.c...332&cat=&page=3

I've got a Power FC so it looks like the DEFI's may be the go. Where does the pod sit? LHS of the main instrument binnacle?

So for the sake of arguement, what about these? they are fine, defi make excellent gauges, adjustable warning points, record function (great for oil pres, you go do a lap with it recording, come back to the pits and then replay to see if you're getting any surge).

Are sensors vehicle specific or is there an industry standard everyone works to? sensors are not vehicle specific, they are universal. that goes for all gauge brands they all use generic sensors.

What type of workshop installs these? regular mechanic is fine or you can DIY, defi's are VERY simple to install. there's only 1 small piece of wiring (power and illum to the controller) the rest is all just plugging stuff in.

May have the engine out shortly (no 300ZX). Is this a good time to be fitting these sucker? they can be easily fitted with engine in place.

Do these having warnings? yes they do. high point warnings for temps etc, low point for oil pres and fuel pres.

Will people laugh at me for having blue gauges? possibly. psersonally I like white illum or amber, bit more subtle. even green is ok.

Please can you recommend some specific alternatives and where to get them from? personally I'd buy defi's but get the new models. the BF and defi-link (like the ones you linked) are out of production now so you won't easily be able to buy more if you decide later you want EGT or fuel pres (both very handy). so either try and get a complete set used, or buy the new models.

your other option is a dash unit like a stack dash or aim dash. cost around $2K for a basic one but does pretty much all you need.

Or one of Paul Ruzzic's engine moniters that I use.

I have the series one verson of it and it gives readouts on oil pressure, oil temp, water temp, intake temp and boost as well as shift lights and high low warning light and siren for all the above.

The new one he is working on atm will do the whole 9 yards and then some includint gps for time splits, sector times etc with full logging capability and will cost way less than the imported stack dash and others.

I've got a Power FC so it looks like the DEFI's may be the go. Where does the pod sit? LHS of the main instrument binnacle?

Yep spot on. I am however at the point where I don't mind screwing things into my dashboard! I guess you could stick it on with strong double sided tape, or just get a cheap second dashboard that you don't mind cutting into for motorsport if yours is in good nic.

End of the day if you are heading in the direction of putting in a roll cage you may as well cut to the chase! Its a good feeling having cars devoted to motorsport - maybe just go rip out your interior to set the wheels in motion, will make these decisions easier :thumbsup:

Or one of Paul Ruzzic's engine moniters that I use.

I have the series one verson of it and it gives readouts on oil pressure, oil temp, water temp, intake temp and boost as well as shift lights and high low warning light and siren for all the above.

The new one he is working on atm will do the whole 9 yards and then some includint gps for time splits, sector times etc with full logging capability and will cost way less than the imported stack dash and others.

Actually yeah - thats a good option. Hmmm.

yeah the ruzic thing is very good. the only one thing I'd point out is that it's still using factory sensors which by this point are certainly past their best. all the other options like stack, defi etc come with new sensors. it does mean the ruzic option is easier to install though.

yeah the ruzic thing is very good. the only one thing I'd point out is that it's still using factory sensors which by this point are certainly past their best. all the other options like stack, defi etc come with new sensors. it does mean the ruzic option is easier to install though.

I replaced all the sensors in Mine Rich. I wouldnt trust the old oem stuff.