SAU Community

Federal Semi Slick Opinions?

Munkvy

Hi guys, I race a Legacy rally car in NZ and Targa NZ has recently switched from Dunlop to Federal for their sole supplier for the event.

In NZ there is very little use of Federal tyres so far, but I have seen the odd thread around SAU about them. Can anyone provide any feedback on how they have found the FZ-201 and also the 595RS-R (I know its a street tyre, but its the wet tyre we will be using).

I am particularly interested in wear rates and tyre pressures used. I am using what I guess around here would be classed as a medium weight car - 1450kgs which is the minimum weight allowed for my class (we have drastically different rules for Targa in NZ compared to Aus). Targa NZ runs for 5 days and typically rains for at least 1-2 days each year. We are allocated 4 FZ-201 and 4 595RS-Rs and have time penalties if more are used.

Ohh and I should probably mention I started out with an R32 many many years ago, hence having an account here and will most likely be switching back to an R32 GTSt next year, but doing a mixture of tarmac and gravel events with it depending on budget.

Thanks for your help

Vivian

FZ201 have got their good points and bad points like any tyre.

Good:

- plenty of lateral grip and traction. I'd rate them on par with RE55S.

- price

Bad:

- they're heavy for a semi slick.

- they are very twitchy on the limit and IMO are not easy to handle if you get it sideways. They do not like to come back in line and would rather stay sideways for as long as they possibly can.

I have not driven on them in the wet.

I've used pressures from 32-36 hot (starting 24-28 cold) so far and have not felt any noticeable difference in that range. Just trying to get the most even wear from them.

Mine are wearing very well and almost still look almost new after 5 track days. A little bit of wear on the outside of the front left - all our tracks are clockwise. They're not getting any slower either.

• 2 weeks later...

Very similar results to Harry's above. I've been running a single set of them (Hard) and they are wearing well.

The only reservation I've had is their wet performance. I've used them twice in the (very) wet and it was a disaster both times. BUT, I was running a dry alignment with stiff springs, lots of camber and lots of caster. So I can't really blame the tyres until I either run some other tyres in similar conditions with the same alignment, or sort out a wet alignment and try them again.

Overall....I think they are excellent for their price.

If I could afford $600 a tyre I'd probably use dunlop dz03...but I can't so I'm going to very happily stick with these at half the price.

I've also run them at 32 and 34psi, and haven't found a major difference, so they seem to react well to a range of pressure and temp. Haven't really had the chance to try them lower and higher than normal but I will do so next day I get a chance to test.

Very similar results to Harry's above. I've been running a single set of them (Hard) and they are wearing well.

The only reservation I've had is their wet performance. I've used them twice in the (very) wet and it was a disaster both times. BUT, I was running a dry alignment with stiff springs, lots of camber and lots of caster. So I can't really blame the tyres until I either run some other tyres in similar conditions with the same alignment, or sort out a wet alignment and try them again.

Overall....I think they are excellent for their price.

If I could afford $600 a tyre I'd probably use dunlop dz03...but I can't so I'm going to very happily stick with these at half the price.

I've also run them at 32 and 34psi, and haven't found a major difference, so they seem to react well to a range of pressure and temp. Haven't really had the chance to try them lower and higher than normal but I will do so next day I get a chance to test.

Where are you getting them for $300 a tyre ? I was told to expect to pay about $500 a corner for the FZ201's....

Edit: That was for 265/35/18.. obviously cheaper in other sizes...

Edited by Strik3r

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am interested to hear more about the problems you had in the wet Duncan?

Targa NZ have just changed the rules and said we can use either wet or dry tyres, so I have just purchased 8 FZ-201s as I would prefer to take the gamble and rely on the 4WD and ABS in the wet on semis, rather than hope it rains enough to use the 595s.

hrd-hr30 - were you using them on RWD or 4WD car? And were they hard to get back into line, ie they liked to go side to side? Or was it more they just struggled to return to gripping without backing off the throttle?

Thanks for the help guys

Vivian

on a 180SX mate. Not swinging side to side, just like to stay sideways once it happens. So its more "struggled to return to gripping without backing off the throttle". eg the car is only 200rwkw, but at one stage was spinning them up in 4th gear coming onto the main straight. I just kept the foot in because that had never happened there before and I know it doesn't have the power to sustain that, but it just kept spinning the tyres and stayed sideways despite the steering input untill I got off the gas. They're good while they're gripping, but once they let go, I don't have alot of confidence in them.

on a 180SX mate. Not swinging side to side, just like to stay sideways once it happens. So its more "struggled to return to gripping without backing off the throttle". eg the car is only 200rwkw, but at one stage was spinning them up in 4th gear coming onto the main straight. I just kept the foot in because that had never happened there before and I know it doesn't have the power to sustain that, but it just kept spinning the tyres and stayed sideways despite the steering input untill I got off the gas. They're good while they're gripping, but once they let go, I don't have alot of confidence in them.

I had a similar experience with the RE55s though :/

I do like them. They're alot better than the R888's I had before. Just need more respect when they're sideways than other tyres I've used. And yes, I did crash on them :cheers:

My only crash on a circuit ever. And my only spin not caused by a mecanical fault since the QLD Hillclimb Championships 2003 where I lost it coming out of the second loop having just dropped a wheel off the outside of the track pushing too hard to try and get the extra tenth I needed for 2nd in class... was a pretty wild 270 spin between armco on the outside and a wooden post fence on the inside while going down a pretty steep hill. Earned me a mention in Sports Car and Racer magazine though lol

But I reckon I've been very lucky at Lakeside over recent years with brake failure at the end on the front straight at over 200kph and 2 front tyre blowouts... very very lucky!

Edited by hrd-hr30

• 2 months later...

Quick update, Targa NZ was last week. I blew a motor on the first day and then flipped the car on the final day, so only got in 18.5 stages total out of 30 odd.

The weather was mixed, lots of rain and slippery roads. But I found the tyres great in both the wet and the dry. I was running 24psi cold on the advice of the Federal Motorsport guys who had come over from Taiwan for the event. I was in a 1550kg car with only 2.5 degrees front camber and found initial grip in the first 1-2km was pretty low in the wet, but quickly came up. We did have one stage that was 54km long and the tyres overheated a bit in that (it was a dry stage too).

But overall the tyres wore well (quite even and gradual) and were quite progressive. Overall given they are similarly priced to R888s in NZ I will definitely be using them again.

Hurt my back a bit, but mainly the pride. As its a blind rally its a bit tricky to guess what happens over the blind brows, and I got it wrong on the last day with only 4 stages to go!

Did make the national news briefly that night - http://www.3news.co.nz/Targa-wraps-up/tabid/317/articleID/231134/Default.aspx#.TqxO1NzaMl4.facebook