SAU Community

Just Bought R34Gtr Vspec Ii !

Hi,

just pick up my R34GTR VSPEC and as usual I like to replace all the fluid in the car just for a peace of mind !! jsut wanna second opionion from you GTR gurus on what oil to use ?

things such as

- Gear Box ?

- All Drive line and engine ??

- any thing I need to look out for ??

cheers guys

any help will be much appreciate it !!

A R34 GTR, being a newer RB26 then the R33's and R32's, you can use a full Synthetic base oil.

I use Mobil 10W 40 at them moment.

Motul / Castrol are others I have heard run well.

I am not sure which brand of gear box oil to use, cause my mechanic has always done it for me.

I believe Motul make a good oil for gear boxes.

Here is what I did when first got my GTR:

Oil

Oil Filter

Fuel Filter

Spark Plugs

Battery

Radiator Coolant Flush

New Timing Belt

New Brake Pads / Rotors

Drive it till your next service and replace whatever needs replacing.

what brands are not as important as the type of oil and its specs.

the transmission and transfer case of 34r's are sensitive to what oils are used. the transmission oil must be automatic transmission oil ( i used royal purple automatic transmission oil suited for supra getrag which is the same gearbox as ours)

transfer oil has to be genuine nissan Dmatic.

My best advice is to ensure u take your GTR to a place that works on these cars and has very good knowledge of them. It will save u alot of headache later down the track

Enjoy your car! Just seeing it parked in my garage still puts a smile on face, a year on!

J-R32 Covered it well, the Matic-D oil for your transfer case is not overly expensive so you can't go wrong using what Nissan recommend for that.

As for the Transmission another oil that gets good reviews is Castrol Transmax Z, which is a Full synthetic Dexron® III type automatic transmission fluid and is available from Super Cheap Auto at a reasonable price. (I think from memory about $75 for 5 litres when on special).

Edited by thatlbeme

Diffs I haven't done yet but will be getting advice from our local Nissan dealer as there is some confusion as to whether the vspecs need 80w90 Limited Slip Diff oil or just plain 80w90 diff oil.

Engine oil weight that is recommended is 10w40 and I always use Fully Synthetic Oil.

Just be carefull if you take it to a mechanic who isn't familiar with the R34 GTR's as he might not be aware that the Transmission is a Getrag and requires Auto Trans oil as opposed to the R33 GTR's and R32 GTR's and R34 non GTR's which are not Getrags and use 75w90 gearbox oil.

Edited by thatlbeme

Attached the Service Data page from R34 service manual.

The" Nissan Mission Oil BNR34 special" oil that Nissan recommend for the Getrag gearbox is very very expensive and will most likely have to be imported from Japan and as many claim is only a rebadged Esso oil anyway as per this discussion http://www.supraforu...o-Toyota-Nissan. And also realise the attached page is from a non vspec and that is why they recommend API GL-5 diff oil front and rear for the diffs but I think the vspecs need a Limited Slip Diff oil.

post-78962-0-20836700-1310480554_thumb.jpg

Edited by thatlbeme

Attached the Service Data page from R34 service manual.

The" Nissan Mission Oil BNR34 special" oil that Nissan recommend for the Getrag gearbox is very very expensive and will most likely have to be imported from Japan and as many claim is only a rebadged Esso oil anyway as per this discussion http://www.supraforu...o-Toyota-Nissan. And also realise the attached page is from a non vspec and that is why they recommend API GL-5 diff oil front and rear for the diffs but I think the vspecs need a Limited Slip Diff oil.

thanks heaps IAN !! and thank you to anyone that helps !!

wen

• 2 weeks later...

Transmaxz if fine in the transfer case and if your picky you can go the expensive oem stuff (toyota v160) which i used but i used transmax in the transfer case

engine oil is nothing but motul, most will agree that 300v or 8100xcess

Congrats on the new car, im sure you will have many years of pleasure

-Johnny

thanks heaps johnny.

I end up getting the Nissan Matic D oil from nissan. and it cost around $80 for 5L Bottle so its all good.

as for the GTR I am I will try to enjiy it before I get bored of it !!

cheers

wen

Transmaxz if fine in the transfer case and if your picky you can go the expensive oem stuff (toyota v160) which i used but i used transmax in the transfer case

engine oil is nothing but motul, most will agree that 300v or 8100xcess

Congrats on the new car, im sure you will have many years of pleasure

-Johnny

Engine oil - Motul 300 V Chrono

G/box oil - Redline shockproof < This stuff is truly liquid gold! Couldn't be happier with it

You own a R32 or R33? Shockproof doesn't belong in a Getrag.

I have run royal purple 75-90 in the getrag feels a little knotchy when cold but comes good when it warms up.. According to the redline site they recommend super lightweight for the getrag, but i have heard mixed reviews about their oils in the getrag box.. can anyone shed some light on this??

^^^ agree that the getrag is expensive to repair and replace, unlike an r32-33 gearbox where you can get a replacment easy.

go the genuine stuff, toyota v160 is very expensive but my preferred choice, i wont deviate.

there was a member on here 'snowy' i think who track raced his a blew a couple with redline, so he went for royal purple; he said that was good stuff and held up to harsh conditions.

Ive been looking a motul oils recently, they seem to make a race-spec auto trans fluid so ill look into that when its time to change - will be many years from now as i drive like a granny and have only done 6000kms on the new oil lolz

-Johnny