SAU Community

Sau Vic Motorsport Championship Round 5

emts

Next round up already, this one should sell out fairly quick.

Entry

https://secure1.ilisys.com.au/wrxc/motorsports/Introduction.php

Sub Regs

https://secure1.ilisys.com.au/wrxc/motorsports/Current_Supp_Regs.pdf

Entry list

http://www.wrx.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=70436

Requirements

CAMS L2S

CAMS club membership with current date (SAU VIC Membership)

Fire Extinguisher

Two bonnet latching mechs (the standard double latch is ok, but for older cars with the single latch no good you need a second with a tie down strap)

Blue battery triangle 150mm x 150mm x 150mm (get yourself some blue contact from the news agency and cut one up!)

See you there.

2011 SAU VIC Motorsport Championship proudly sponsored by:

rpm2s.jpg

micoloursml1.jpg

DriverDynamics_small.jpg

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sandown round just gone, we have been warned. You will need two bolts restraining your fire extinguisher. So please make sure if you are coming along to PI that you have this done!

From what I saw at PIARC day on saturday, you just grab a garage and they come and find you. That's what the lady at check in said. We actually didn't get one coz it was a nice day...

I'll be in for this, just have to get paid first, renew CAMS next week etc.

As for Garages, there are quite a few. Believe at the weekend they quoted $160 but you can double up.

The Sandown round just gone, we have been warned. You will need two bolts restraining your fire extinguisher. So please make sure if you are coming along to PI that you have this done!

So, if I mount it in the same way as ant1997 did, behind the drivers seat, using a larger base plate that is secured to the car with a single large bolt that holds the back seat cushion - and then use 2 bolts to secure the extinguishers bracket to this base plate - is that ok or not?

So, if I mount it in the same way as ant1997 did, behind the drivers seat, using a larger base plate that is secured to the car with a single large bolt that holds the back seat cushion - and then use 2 bolts to secure the extinguishers bracket to this base plate - is that ok or not?

I wouldn't chance it, depends on what the scrutineer feels like on the day.

21 entries already. Get yours in fast!

Phillip Island is a reasonably forgiving track, more so than Sandown. So if your are thinking of getting involved, this is a good one.

I wouldn't chance it, depends on what the scrutineer feels like on the day.

From the supp regs....

b) Must be fitted with a fire extinguisher securely mounted on a metal bracket with metal straps Check - my fire ext came with a metal bracket and two metal straps within the cabin and readily accessible to the driver whilst still in the seat belt or harness Check - I've strapped myself in and can readily get the ext. and which complies with AS 1841 (save that extinguishers which meet AS 1841.2 are not permitted), and be of

at least 900gms capacity. Halon/BCF extinguishers are not permitted. The extinguisher and the bracket must be a compatible set, (i.e. as supplied by the manufacture of the extinguisher.)Check The extinguisher should be retained within the bracket by at least one (1) metal strap Check. The bracket should be secured using a minimum of 2, Grade 6 or greater bolts, of a minimum 6mm diameter, and self -

locking nuts Check - the fire ext bracket is mounted to the car using 2 bolts of a suitable grade. A suitably sized body washer may be required to provide extra support for the bracket. The securing system must be able to withstand a 25g deceleration.

Look as far as I am concerned the ext is mounted as per the supp regs. Tech the plate that the bracket is mounted on is part of the car. The plate isn't 1mm sheet metal, its a 5mm thick lump of steel securely attached to the car. Under 25g I'd be far more concerned about the metal bracket holding onto the fire ext than the plate mount coming away or deforming from its position.

my fire extinguisher is bolted through the floor directly beneath my legs in front of the seat. I had to use it recently and i wouldn't want to go grabbing it from behind the seat in a hurry.

my fire extinguisher is bolted through the floor directly beneath my legs in front of the seat. I had to use it recently and i wouldn't want to go grabbing it from behind the seat in a hurry.

Wow...so what you are saying is that your harness (if you have one in the S15, I can't remember) is so loose that you are able to bend forward in order to retrive the fire ext from the floor in between your legs? Remeber tech the rule states: Must be fitted with a fire extinguisher securely mounted on a metal bracket with metal straps within the cabin and readily accessible to the driver whilst still in the seat belt or harness

Like most rules in motorsport reg's the interpretation of the rule by two different people can vary. I would look at the postion where you have mounted the ext as being not accessible by the driver when still tight in the harness whereas I can still reach mine (I know I tested it).

Wow...so what you are saying is that your harness (if you have one in the S15, I can't remember) is so loose that you are able to bend forward in order to retrive the fire ext from the floor in between your legs? Remeber tech the rule states: Must be fitted with a fire extinguisher securely mounted on a metal bracket with metal straps within the cabin and readily accessible to the driver whilst still in the seat belt or harness

What you have highlighted in bold is a bullshit regulation, it's unrealistic. I've never had an issue with scrutineering where mine is mounted. I don't know about you Ant, but when I'm properly strapped in to my harness I can barley turn my torso, let alone reach anywhere for a fire extinguisher.. and I wouldn't be staying strapped in the harness if the car is on fire.

lol, I can't reach the climate controls when belted in.

Every man, dog, women, child has their own opinion on fire extinguisher locations. The close to the driver the better, imo.

P194901_22-11-09.jpg