SAU Community

Beginners Camera Choice

Mangune

accessories I buy overseas from Citiwide, that includes my selection of Lenses, Canon have a world wide warranty on their Lenses which means you can get them serviced locally if you you buy them from grey market (haven't had to try yet though). That doesn't include the camera body which I bought locally. Some great deals online these days!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50mm 1.8 is my most used lens. if you don't have one, you're not a photographer :P

Raw is the only way to shoot, unless you're taking snapshots of your granma's poodle.

I buy online. Massive price difference. way cheaper. and I'm cheap. so it suits me :P

Canon 550D is a good all rounder for a beginner IMHO, you also get 1080p HD video recording with an option for an external mic.

One of the review on the interwebz also says alot of 550D components are shared with the 7D.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Im looking to get a camera just for hobby use. Im aiming to spend around $550 to $600. I was told the canon G12 is the best thing for me. For $620 i can get the camera, memory card, case and a full day training session to learn all the manual controls etc.

Just want to know whether the recommendation i have received sounds right to you guys as i have no idea about cameras? Would you recommend another camera for that price range?

Im looking to get a camera just for hobby use. Im aiming to spend around $550 to $600. I was told the canon G12 is the best thing for me. For $620 i can get the camera, memory card, case and a full day training session to learn all the manual controls etc.

Just want to know whether the recommendation i have received sounds right to you guys as i have no idea about cameras? Would you recommend another camera for that price range?

I bought a G12 a few weeks ago. For a "compact" it's still kinda bulky, but it's much easier to carry around than my DSLR, and I don't have to change lenses. It's proving to be a great little purchase, and I had both the 60D and the G12 when I was on holidays from last Friday until Wednesday. The photos are dumped on my laptop, and there are quite a few where I took the same or similar shots with both cameras so I could see for myself how the G12 was performing. I will upload some in the next few days with no processing, so you can see for yourself how well it performs against a same-brand DSLR.

I bought a G12 a few weeks ago. For a "compact" it's still kinda bulky, but it's much easier to carry around than my DSLR, and I don't have to change lenses. It's proving to be a great little purchase, and I had both the 60D and the G12 when I was on holidays from last Friday until Wednesday. The photos are dumped on my laptop, and there are quite a few where I took the same or similar shots with both cameras so I could see for myself how the G12 was performing. I will upload some in the next few days with no processing, so you can see for yourself how well it performs against a same-brand DSLR.

That would be great. Thanks

OK, no post-processing, just a conversion to .jpeg so I could upload it to my Photobucket account via another computer (cbf turning the laptop on at this time of night).

Canon Powershot G12: Aperture f/8, Exposure 1/200sec, ISO 80

IMG_0323.jpg

Canon EOS 60D: Aperture f/11, Exposure 1/200sec, ISO 100

IMG_4576.jpg

I'll try over the weekend to set both cameras up on a tripod, using all the same settings (aperture, exposure length and ISO) and repeat the test.

The G12 looks like it produces great pictures. Are the manual controls hard to use? I've never had a camera with manual controls. Most camera shops offer a free course that the customer can attend to learn this stuff, but do you think its necessary?

The G12 looks like it produces great pictures. Are the manual controls hard to use? I've never had a camera with manual controls. Most camera shops offer a free course that the customer can attend to learn this stuff, but do you think its necessary?

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked about the results too.

Manual controls just give you more options to control how your photo turns out, and the Auto modes are still there anyway. And yeah, a camera course can't hurt, but just simply doing lots of reading and shooting with different scenarios and settings helps massively.

Check out this thread: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/156527-basic-photography-tips/

Also, check out the Canon Australia webside and YouTube channel for their instructional videos: http://www.canon.com.au/en-au/worldofeos/learn and http://www.youtube.com/user/CanonAustralia

i have the G11 and think its an awesome camera. the bang for the buck you get is simply amazing.

in my opinion the quality of the images it produces can be just as good as a similar priced DSLR

the only main drawback i can see is the images tend to be a bit softer due to the lens, but a bit of sharpening in photoshop/gimp/whatever can fix that easily

Edited by Jay019

Just bought a Canon 600d twin lens pack...

I don't know why but I just bought it. Didn't really research it.

Are they good??

And is it good enough 4 entry level. Just taking photos of cars and landscape.

Are they good??

Once you go DSLR there is no going back to compact cameras.

I think entry level DSLR will actually have more than enough features/settings for an average user.

The trick with any DSLR is getting the right lenses for the task.

I use a Canon EOS 400D and I had no photography experience or took any lessons.

Just picked up the camera and trial and error with mainly going to car shows / meet ups.

Now I can get decent pics after a few year of practice.

Canon's are quiet user friendly, but that's with most camera's anyway, you use it for a while, you get use to it.

Nikon also seem to be one of the best camera's out there too.

I use a Canon EOS 400D and I had no photography experience or took any lessons.

Just picked up the camera and trial and error with mainly going to car shows / meet ups.

Now I can get decent pics after a few year of practice.

Canon's are quiet user friendly, but that's with most camera's anyway, you use it for a while, you get use to it.

Nikon also seem to be one of the best camera's out there too.

Yeh same here.

Just wondering - what accessories do you have?

I picked mine up cheap from a mate who was upgrading (included all accessories too).

- 400D body

- Stock twin lens kit 18~55mm and 55~250mm

- Remote shutter control

- Lens hood

- Dual battery grip

- 3x batteries

- lowepro weatherproof sling bag

- UV filters

- Sandisk 4GB CF card

Only thing I bought was an external flash (thanks to eBay) and more FC cards.

Now I'm looking for an entry level/mid level lens with a wider range 18~135mm - Tired of swapping lenses

Also thinking of upgrading to a 550D/600D - I want to get into the HD video stuff eventually.

The 400D has been awesome very reliable - taken thousands of pics no problems.

Are they good??

woot.gif

Yeah, that is good enough, like really good.

2 models up from mine and Marks camera.

Can't go wrong.

Thanks guys 4 ur advice.

I got a 18-55mm lens and a 55-250mm lens and my friend who is a photographer is giving me 55mm lens but he says is awesome lens..

Depends on your photography style, if you take close up or distant photos.

Both is good :thumbsup:

- 400D body

- Stock twin lens kit 18~55mm and 55~250mm

- Remote shutter control

- Lens hood

- Dual battery grip

- 3x batteries

- lowepro weatherproof sling bag

- UV filters

- Sandisk 4GB CF card

Everything you listed is what I got, even the Lowepro bag :laugh:

I got an extra Tele Lense for long distance and good for track days.

A few extra Sandisk CF Cards but a 4 GB would be better as I only have 1 and 2 GB.

Also bought a Tri-Pod, great for night photos, set the timer on and let it do its own long exposure.

Not sure about the Dual Battery Grip..?

Where / What is that?