SAU Community

Questions From A V35 Rookie

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at the 2001 Skyline V35 250GT and 300GT 4 door sedans. I like Nissans, I love the look of the car, seems to have a good engine and I need the size for the kids. It ticks all the boxes for me. I just can't seem to get the info on it that is readily available like the locally made cars.

I want some feedback please if I could as I know nothing about the car cause it's a Japanese import. I've never bought an import before.

1. I have heard that many of the mechanical parts are similar/identical to those used in the Maxima and Murano and therefore parts are relatively cheap to source locally (I'm in Sydney) - Is this true?

2. Body panels and interior are apparently only available from Japan, hence making them more expensive? Is this true?

3. I have heard horror stories of clocks getting wound back (there are a few 2001 models out there with like 40,000km on the clock for $15k and under). Can this be easily done on this car? Is it likely to happen?

4. Buying a Japanese car, how can I be sure that the car isn't hammered in bumper to bumper "stop/start" traffic every day?

5. In general, is the car reliable? Does it have a reputation for engine faults after certain amount of km's are clocked up?

6. Transmission? Will it play up after a certain amount of km's?

7. Any other tips to think about?

Thanks everyone

Parts are easy to get if your talking service parts. If your looking for body parts then they cost a little more and take awhile to come from Japan.

Yes clocks get wound back alot. Most Dealers do this themselfs. It's very easy. Best to import yourself if you have the time and it's alot cheaper. Or buy private from someone who imported themself.

You can always get the car checked out by RAC or similar.

The car is reliable as any other car. Looka after it and it will look after you.

Transmission, If it's an 8speed triptonic then at 100,000km then it needs a large costly oil change.

The Best tip is test drive a few even if you can't aford some of them. The you know if there is anything standing out that isn't right. Look at wear and tear of seat belts, stearing wheel, gear stick, seats and foot peddles. 40000km is like new.

PS 2001 with 40,000km...... hmmmmmm only 4000 a year.

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at the 2001 Skyline V35 250GT and 300GT 4 door sedans. I like Nissans, I love the look of the car, seems to have a good engine and I need the size for the kids. It ticks all the boxes for me. I just can't seem to get the info on it that is readily available like the locally made cars.

I want some feedback please if I could as I know nothing about the car cause it's a Japanese import. I've never bought an import before.

see inserted comments :)

1. I have heard that many of the mechanical parts are similar/identical to those used in the Maxima and Murano and therefore parts are relatively cheap to source locally (I'm in Sydney) - Is this true?

if you are talking service parts - yes.

2. Body panels and interior are apparently only available from Japan, hence making them more expensive? Is this true?

correct. though you may get lucky and find some bits of it ex MLB.

3. I have heard horror stories of clocks getting wound back (there are a few 2001 models out there with like 40,000km on the clock for $15k and under). Can this be easily done on this car? Is it likely to happen?

plenty of the wound back. its only 4 bolts , 3 plugs and its off and swapped out. importers do it , yards do it individuals do it. if there are any japanese service stickers in the doors sills or on the side of the dash have a look at those. clocking seems to be more common on the 2 door ones.

4. Buying a Japanese car, how can I be sure that the car isn't hammered in bumper to bumper "stop/start" traffic every day?

same as every other car. if its taken care of then it will last a while.

5. In general, is the car reliable? Does it have a reputation for engine faults after certain amount of km's are clocked up?

usually. they suffer cam sensor problems , various electrical faults and the like. windows and locks are the worst two unless its been fiddled with then its a pain in the ass to work with. ( I fix these cars for a living.) if it has CVT-8 any where on it - AVOID IT. they are great when they work and will write teh car off when they break.

6. Transmission? Will it play up after a certain amount of km's?

see 5.

7. Any other tips to think about?

have a read of the FAQ. might help you.