SAU Community

Thrust Or Gearbox Input Shaft Bearing?

Hi all,

I have an r32 gts and it makes a sound coming from around the bell housing.

It makes a noise similar to the sound of a spun bearing.

The noise only occurs when the clutch is out and stops when the clutch is pushed in.

Wondering what is causing the noise The Thrust bearing or the gearbox input shaft bearing?

Hi all,

I have an r32 gts and it makes a sound coming from around the bell housing.

It makes a noise similar to the sound of a spun bearing.

The noise only occurs when the clutch is out and stops when the clutch is pushed in.

Wondering what is causing the noise The Thrust bearing or the gearbox input shaft bearing?

Input shaft bearing. When the clutch is disengaged, the input shaft stops turning, stopping the noise. Release the clutch, shaft turns, noise returns.

This is all normally true diagnosis^

However, some thrust bearings in Skylines produce a noise even in neutral with the clutch out, because they rub up against the pressure plate in the resting position. Try putting a little bit of pressure of the clutch pedal, i.e. don't push it in, just push the pedal until it gets to the point where you have to start trying. If the noise goes away, it'll be thrust bearing. If it's still there, most likely gearbox rollover noise which can be an input shaft or the gears simply meshing incorrectly (happens with age and wear).

It makes the noise in neutral and when driving (can't hear it much cause of loud exhaust :) )

birds, ill check with the clutch only slightly pushed in like you said. I hope it is the thrust bearing cause i really can't be bothered replacing the isb since I am planning on putting a turbo motor and box in within the next year or so.

This is all normally true diagnosis^

However, some thrust bearings in Skylines produce a noise even in neutral with the clutch out, because they rub up against the pressure plate in the resting position. Try putting a little bit of pressure of the clutch pedal, i.e. don't push it in, just push the pedal until it gets to the point where you have to start trying. If the noise goes away, it'll be thrust bearing. If it's still there, most likely gearbox rollover noise which can be an input shaft or the gears simply meshing incorrectly (happens with age and wear).

True

And being a hydraulic clutch, there'll always be contact, as the slave cylinder "self adjusts". Another method is to hoist the car and pull the clutch fork (depending on whether it's a push or pull type clutch) away from the diaphgram spring, taking the thrust bearing with it...

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I also have a similar noise in my GTR. I only got it about a week or two ago, so still learning as much as i can about it.

My one makes a noise while I am in netural, once i press the clutch in. It goes quiet. Take it out, the "whirring" "whine" noise comes back.

A friend said its a thrust bearing, but from reading the replies in this thread i am confused and not sure.

Anybody know if it will do my car any harm?

General consensus says you need to take out the gearbox to fix it, so i may as well wait till i need a clutch as long as it isn't damaging anything by waiting.

the whirring is the thrust bearing, perfectly normal. i recently replaced my clutch and thrust bearing and the whirring noise is there just as it was before, i also think its got something to do with my r34 and your 33 gtr being pull type clutches im sure someone else can either confirm or correct me on this.