SAU Community

Pivot Speed Meter V Diy

Speed meter is good for those that dont want to fork out for the 280km speedo.

I find it is within 1km within the speedo up to 100kms and then 2km within when above 110km.

You can test your 100, 200 and 400m times and also see what G-force you launch, and brake with.

It is very easy to see out of the corner of your eye when driving.

I have not seen much info at all for installing this so after i figured it out im posting the way to do it.

Instructions:

http://pivotjp.com/d...f-e/SML-V-e.pdf

Our cars cannot have the speed limiter with this unit but its still awesome for its other functions.

Mounting: I dont smoke so its a good place to put it, in the cigarette lighter!

Step 1: Once you unplug all the cables from the ashtray, remove the 5 screws holding it in and it comes out. Then remove the silver cover, one screw needs removing.

IMG_2283.jpg

Step 2: You will need to wedge the clear tab out the way, then file the top left corner off.

IMG_2281.jpg

Step 3: You will need to cut slots so the cable can sit in it while it closes.

Upper section

IMG_2285.jpg

Lower section

IMG_2289.jpg

Step 4: Sit the unit in the cigarette lighter and run the cable through the slot. Insert the plastic tab back in

IMG_2286.jpg

Step 5: By the end of it you can see the cable, you will need to leave the grey cover off, and therefore have the light sat near the clear plastic.

The grev cover will restrict the cables moving freely so you have to leave it off.

I cable tied the cables at the bottom where the bright white bit is..

IMG_2290.jpg

Wiring it There are a few places for the VSS (speed sensor wire)

1. Under the glove box where dvd/sat nav is.

2. Behind stereo (light green in US but may be blue/black for JDM)

Top right hand wire when the plug is facing towards you

IMG_2303.jpg

3. Behind combination cluster

4. Behind the clock (need to remove screws either side and lift up LCD)

May be the wire 3rd from the left of the far right plug. White/Black

IMG_2293.jpg

Step 6: Once you chose which wire to use you need to splice a wire into it and then tap a female connector to it

Bottom left plug is the one im using that has the VSS wire.

IMG_2298.jpg

The Blue/Black wire you splice into

IMG_2307.jpg

Step 7: crimp a male connector to the end of the white cable from the speed meter loom

IMG_2314.jpg

Step 8: We need a switched positive, i used the cigarette lighter, user a wire with a female end and splice into it

IMG_2312.jpg

Connect a male connector to the positive red speed senor wire and then you can plug it into the spliced positive

IMG_2313.jpg

Step 9: Now the grounding, put a ring lug on the end of the black earth of the speed meter wire and ground it to the chassis here, right above the BCM module.

IMG_2308.jpg

Tidy all the wiring up, before you properly put everything back test it !!

Pulse setting for correct speed.

Hold the mode button down for 3 seconds and then click the set button until it says N-2 or L-2

Should open and close easy!

IMG_2292.jpg

Your done!

Edited by R6n350GT

Thanks :) I think it's my 5th one so far so appreciate your thanks, I don't always get it! I do them when I see no one else has, I have learnt so much about my car so just like to share!

No problem. I seriously think these should be stickied. Too much useful information and tutorials like these just float around and get buried after a while.Keep up the good work champ!

No problem. I seriously think these should be stickied. Too much useful information and tutorials like these just float around and get buried after a while.Keep up the good work champ!

Yeah i agree, we need a DIY section. I have never had any of the stuff posted stickied.

I would rather this one as a sticky as it contains alot of good info... (COUGH MODS???!!!)

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/346667-servicing-your-v35-list-of-whats-needed/page__gopid__5817978#entry5817978

DIYs i done so far are

Zeitronic Zt-2 with LCD

Pivot Speed Meter V

Blinder M47 / Parking Sensor DIY

How To Fix Door Lock (Actuator) DIY

G35 Coupe Halos DIY Guide

Beltronic STi Radar Detector

Next one i do will be for Utec EMS + Map sensor, 5way map selector, boost solenoid, knock sensor and then the whole HKS Single 3037 turbo kit!

• 3 weeks later...

Have installed speed meter and looked behind the factory cd player on my V and didnt match any of the wires on the diy guide , so i tried for the plugs behind the clock/ac display , i tried splicing into the white wire with a black stripe and no luck. Any ideas guys on which wire behind this unit in which it could be? (i really dont want to take out the factory cd player again to go that route because that was the hardest thing I have done for a while ! clock is much easier to access)

Thanks for all the help!!!! I'll post pics later of completed install.

IMG_2293.jpg

Could the wire be the green white at bottom left?

The reason i ask is because of this link for the G35 in which speed sensor wire is determined as green/white. Any ideas??

http://www.the12volt...s.asp?TID=17511

Their green wire is in the position of that white and black one on the 2nd plug . 3rd from top left.

Other than that behind the bose Black/Blue

Their green wire is in the position of that white and black one on the 2nd plug . 3rd from top left.

Other than that behind the bose Black/Blue

Really don't want to take put Bose again but will have to suck

It up I guess

Attached is a picture of behind my clock. Is there any chance I used the wrong wire? (i am chasing the speed sensor wire)

post-75807-0-86446400-1307855344_thumb.jpg

post-75807-0-62991900-1307855370_thumb.jpg

Is there any chance it could be the green white wire as is on the G35??

post-75807-0-97425800-1307855387_thumb.jpg

Maybe attach the ss wire from pivot speed meter to long nail or something and as u driving just push it in the back of each white/ black and green ports of the plug. U getting good power and ground to it? U may just have to take out Bose if u can get it. U need a really good connection or it won't pick it up even when u got right wire. U got non navi and Bose?