SAU Community

Could R35 Air Ducts Be Used In Later Model Skylines ?

Looking at either getting a carbon fibre bonnet fitted to my R33 or looking into some sort of venting situation for my bonnet . Was looking at the R35 carbon vents they have on Just Jap , would it be possible to fit these to my R33 & still work effectively like they do on the R35 GTR ?

Edited by Tweaky

Surely you could find some vents for your 33. But then again you want to destroy your new CF bonnet?! Is the bonnet going to be used on a road car or a track car?

To answer your question I doubt it.

Sorry should of put more light on the story . At the moment i have the standard R33 bonnet , which i was looking to put the R35 vents into for more air circulation into the engine bay or something similar. Or my other option is to buy a vented carbon fibre bonnet & fit to the R33 . It is for mainly street use !!

I had this idea a while ago and talked about it in the Empire Aero group buy thread.

I'm worried because the vents have a slight curve in them near the top it won't fit properly into a flat bonnet.

My previous black R34 GT-R had an aftermarket NACA Duct inserted exactly where the VS-2 Duct goes. It's the same size.

No underside reinforcement had to be cut either.

It's proven to improve cooling in the turbo area. NACA Duct physics is pretty simple.

The 3" plastic duct is obtained quite cheaply from http://www.kenlowe.com.au/raceglass1.htm in Qld. Quite a trustworthy guy.

Fitting:- It's best to not just place the Duct from underneath and then paint.

Resin needs to be moulded between the duct and the metal, otherwise cracking will occur through expansion/contraction.

I cut a template of the duct and drew an outline with chalk onto the bonnet where the hole was to be cut.

The panelbeater did the rest. You can choose a) fit, mould and touch up with SAAS mesh or b) paint the bonnet too at extra expense.

R34GTR204.jpg

Overall look...

R34GTR097.jpg

My previous black R34 GT-R had an aftermarket NACA Duct inserted exactly where the VS-2 Duct goes. It's the same size.

No underside reinforcement had to be cut either.

It's proven to improve cooling in the turbo area. NACA Duct physics is pretty simple.

The 3" plastic duct is obtained quite cheaply from http://www.kenlowe.c.../raceglass1.htm in Qld. Quite a trustworthy guy.

Fitting:- It's best to not just place the Duct from underneath and then paint.

Resin needs to be moulded between the duct and the metal, otherwise cracking will occur through expansion/contraction.

I cut a template of the duct and drew an outline with chalk onto the bonnet where the hole was to be cut.

The panelbeater did the rest. You can choose a) fit, mould and touch up with SAAS mesh or b) paint the bonnet too at extra expense.

R34GTR204.jpg

Overall look...

R34GTR097.jpg

This is exactly what i want for my R33 , a air vent which sits directly above the turbo. It gets so hot under this section of the bonnet , especially with a high mount turbo ! What size did u get for the R34 , 3 or 4 inch ? Also did u get fiberglass or carbon fiber ? Thanks for adding the link will contact the guy which makes them tomorrow :thumbsup:

Holy crap I always thought your was the VSII hood it looked that stock, good job Terry!

Man maybe I will do this after all. How much were they through that QLD dude?

These were the ones that I was thinking about to use:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Universal-Carbon-Fibre-Naca-Ducts-x2-/270726957121?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f08958841

I simply used the black F/G 3" and the flange is hidden beneath. It costs about $45 + delivery. I think I paid close to $70 all up.

R34GTR214.jpg

You'll notice that my blue VS-2 NACA has its flanges at the surface. That's why it seems to look bigger than the one on my former black car. But it's about the same opening as Ken Lowe's 3" one. The leading edge here is a bit flatter.

R34GTR264.jpg

I just ordered a 3 inch Fiberglass Air duct off Ken Lowe . It cost me $54.00 + postage. Which way would it be best to face the Air duct ? Forward like u have yours facing letting the cool air onto the turbo or backwards which would be letting the hot air escape from the turbo ? :thanks:

either way is effective, but if you want to sell your car one day (and it's reversed), the prospective buyer might question your sanity and walk away :P

even V8 supercars side perspex windows' NACA Ducts have the narrow edge facing forwards

R34GTR195.jpg

Ok then i'll face mine forwards also , i'll be getting the panel beater to fit the duct then a full respray of the bonnet including the duct so it all blends in nicely ! Like ur Black GTR u used to have , that job looks great . Hope mine turns out that well ! :wub: Ken said to use a Sikaflex adhesive to fit to the inside of the bonnet .

• 3 weeks later...

Post up pics when you are done!

Hey Mate , here are the pics of my R33 , which is now fitted the 3 inch NACA Air Duct . Fitted really well & i think looks great on the car . Blends nicely in with the bonnet & keeps everything still looking very standard . Hope these help :cheers:

post-77182-0-62668400-1304070671_thumb.jpg

post-77182-0-36513500-1304070704_thumb.jpg

post-77182-0-81510500-1304070815_thumb.jpg

post-77182-0-36827900-1304071000_thumb.jpg

post-77182-0-64101500-1304071439_thumb.jpg

Perfect job!

...for a cheap piece of plastic

Effective for cooling!

Great look!

BTW, did the painter insert some epoxy or equivalent so that there's no crack forming between plastic and metal (thru contraction/expansion)?

Perfect job!

Effective for cooling!

Great look!

BTW, did the painter insert some epoxy or equivalent so that there's no crack forming between plastic and metal (thru contraction/expansion)?

Yeah the panel beater used stickaflex to glue it to the inside of the bonnet , between fibreglass & metal . Was a bit tricky working where to fit near the turbo area due to frame work of bonnet , but decided to put it into a triangle area between the framework . Fitted in nicely there & is placed just behind the turbo , where the dump pipe is. When driving can here a slight wind sound near that area , so i'm assuming plenty of cool air is getting into where i wanted it to go. Thanks for ur help :cheers: