SAU Community

Garrett -9

Just throwing this up for discussion as i have never seen it mentioned with this particular turbo

As it is results for the Garrett GT2859R - 707160 - 9 is very few and general consensus is that it is a more efficient turbo than the R34 N1s aka -7 but is not as good as the -5 for out right pwr

AFAIK the -9 IS the Gtss minus the actuators.....

Has anyone used or contemplated using the -9 with the larger .86 A/R turbine that garrett offers, up from the .64 A/R ?

I'm assuming everyone who has used it so far has used the .64 a/r turbine, and did the gtss kits offered from hks had options for the turbine size? or did they just stick to the .64 a/r turbine as well?

Anyway i guess the main concern here will be the increased lag from the bigger turbine but.....will it still be less lag than the -5s with the advantage of a little more pwr... maybe up to 350rwkw?

Claims from -9 vary between 300-330rwkw but is the comp maxed at this output? If not maybe the larger turbine will make it do a little more without taking a full step up to the -5

Discuss.......

Edited by Don Dada

There is no option for .86, nor would you chose that rear as the comp wheel runs outta flow - not the rear when -5s use a .64 and have made 380-400rwkw without a problem in the world.

All you'll do is get more lag, without anymore power

Only -10 come with the .86 option, and only -10's on a 3ltr should use .86

yes the 0.86 housings are not the GTR housings so not a bolt on. and it would be a fair mismatch having 2 turbos with a tiny compressor and a 0.86 AR turbine housing, especially if you still have the same little wheel in it. waste of time. and there is no housing option for any of the HKS GTR bolt ons. GTSS are 0.64 and so are HKS 2530s for that matter.

Ok thats good info that hks didnt make their kits in anything other than the .64 a/r

Garrett shouldnt put it as a "direct replacement" and offer the .86 a/r as an option if it doesnt fit tho....and i found it strange that they didnt offer it for the -7 too

Wheres disco to get into the nitty gritty?:cheers:

Parkes waiting to work the Indian home .

As was said the 0.86 A/R GT28 turbine housing is an SR configuration turbine housing not the more compact RB26 type one .

As others said they would be too big anyway for an RB26 and possibly not terribly responsive on a 2630 particularly with 707160-9 turbos on it .

The 0.64 A/R RB26 housings , Garretts and HKSs , seem to flow plenty with the GT28 NS111 turbine in 76 trim so I doubt there is a need for 0.86 housings to suit RB26's .

Cheers A .

I was sitting in a motel room in Parks (central western town in NSW) waiting to work the Indian Pacific back to Sydney Central Terminal . I don't work with turbochargers for a living , well the the big diesels do have them , but I pedal trains for a living .

A .

cool job mate. :)