SAU Community

R34 Gtr Build

I think I sat on his lap one xmas to take a photo :P

Awesome coverage !! What is ur ultimate goal with this car???

Eg Pro entrant at WTAC :)

LOL

Ultimate Goal would be too prove all the theories applied by John and people to copy it and understand it.

Yes I will enter the WTAC once all the bugs are sorted, and drag race it ( Andrew Hawkins GTR challenge sounds nice)!!

Sure is a work of art i doubt john will ever make this for anyone ever again!!!!

for sure. when he's done you should talk to john about all the dies and mandrels he's made for the bits he's making. would be great for you to have them should someone ever want to undertake this kind of set-up again. he's put so much work into all the tooling it's a shame it will most likely only ever lead to one production run being made. I know some of the tool he's made is sacrificial though and gets destroyed/modified as he goes along.

can't wait to see more mate.

for sure. when he's done you should talk to john about all the dies and mandrels he's made for the bits he's making. would be great for you to have them should someone ever want to undertake this kind of set-up again. he's put so much work into all the tooling it's a shame it will most likely only ever lead to one production run being made. I know some of the tool he's made is sacrificial though and gets destroyed/modified as he goes along.

can't wait to see more mate.

All die's and drawing work will be kept for those reasons if anyone wants to attempt making it. It would be a good idea to see if a 5 axis CNC machine could make the collector!!!

yeah 5 axis machine would make it much easier and like michael said a 3 axis machine would be fine too. but yeah John is hardcore to have made it on just a basic mill.

it's definitely possible to replicate, and the collector is obviously key, but you can discount all the other little tricks and logic behind it too. that's the problem, anyone can copy something but if they don't fully understand it it's all too easy to stuff up the other bits that make it work and end up with something only half as good as the original.

still I'd love to see some of the stuff made. I know a few machinists who could probably do something with it. we'll talk later! :)

This project is a pure work of engineering genius.

Sadly these types of projects are too few and far between....and indeed the John Skolas of this world are even rarer!

Haters gunna hate. Its very easy to bolt on tried tested parts, call it 'engineering' and get the result you expected (and that 1000 other people have got)

Its a completely different level of engineering starting from scratch, putting theory into practice and analysing the results.

I am in complete admiration for you and this project. I just wish I had the time, money, skill and equipment to do it.....for now i will just live through you.

This project reminds me a little of the Greek Evo that is/was being built:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1575817

This project is a pure work of engineering genius.

Sadly these types of projects are too few and far between....and indeed the John Skolas of this world are even rarer!

Haters gunna hate. Its very easy to bolt on tried tested parts, call it 'engineering' and get the result you expected (and that 1000 other people have got)

Its a completely different level of engineering starting from scratch, putting theory into practice and analysing the results.

I am in complete admiration for you and this project. I just wish I had the time, money, skill and equipment to do it.....for now i will just live through you.

This project reminds me a little of the Greek Evo that is/was being built:

http://forums.bimmer...d.php?t=1575817

Thank you for your admiration.

Once the car is finished and running you are more them welcome to see the car.

This Greek Evo WOW crazy love all the CNC work , I guess this is the only way to make complex parts.

For a moment there I thought the ribbed piece of billet stainless was an expansion joint, but after watching the vid a few times I heard him say slip joint. Since its a slip fit it will take up any movement without cracking. Clever design!

I especially like how he has gotten the wastegate pipe to seal to the slip joint. The pipe is a tight fit at room temp, but as it heats up the pipe will expand more than the billet piece, and it will create a seal. Reminds me of how the SR71 was built. All the panel gaps didnt close up until above mach 2 when air friction caused the skin to expand and seal up.

Astonishing work Bobby and John!

I'll add, that venturi reminds me of the back of a jet engine too! You can just picture the swirling gases from the exhaust wheel sucking wastegate gas from the venturi and wastegate pipes. Awesome!