SAU Community

February 2011 Photo Thread

woodsy900

We use these to get around the pit (and we flog the shit out of em...)

stuff052.jpg

The biggest grader in the world (which is brand new and cost Millions $$$).

stuff053.jpg

And just some random pics to finish it off.

From the front window in the trucks cab.

stuff056.jpg

The side view mirror.

stuff057.jpg

All the boys parked up for lunch.

stuff055.jpg

400 tonner climbing out of the pit.

stuff051.jpg

Keeping the dust down.

stuff040.jpg

One of me mates goin past on another road whilst I waited in line for a load.

stuff036.jpg

And the grand finale... read it twice boys. 40+psi of boost pressure. All day. Every day. 24hours. 7 days a week!!

stuff025.jpg

Edited by Global_Warmer

Oh. One last one. A 1200ton shovel. This baby will pick up 100ton in a scoop- plus the weight of the bucket. See the car at the rear of the machine? Its a big bastard whid runs on electricity.

stuff038.jpg

Any of you that went on the putty road cruise to Singleton would of seen the Coal Mines on the way into town. Now you know all the machines that work in em too!!

Sorry to spam the thread guys :thanks:

holy SHEEET ... those things are epic!!! should have some of them bad boys up where the floods were in QLD lol epic clean up machines... haha but seriously that last one runs off electricity!?!?! is that the big ass cable running from the back of it to the power point???

Here is my find of the day... :) a model car almost exactly like mine except I dont have the VVC engine and the colour of mine is "maroon" "purple" aka Morello (actual colour name)

post-78617-0-40750400-1296731151_thumb.jpg

I have a name, Tabitha!! :P If you could zoom in on him, it would have improved the shot a bit I think, but still a great shot! Well done.

Jay, they're fantastic mate! Well done.

In other news, 70-200 f4L is on its way soon. 6 days til I get it as a birthday present... CANT WAIT!!!! :D :D :D

This is our biggest trucks. they carry 400ton on their back.

stuff048.jpg

far out man, I think thats the same trucks that my mum drives at work. either that or the next size down.

it makes me laugh tho, she is close to 5ft tall and driving some massive monster in a mine, lol.

hahahaha, that light painting vid was epic!!!! i thought about having a go at something like that but got lazy when I realised just how long it would take.

Edited by Jay019

Whoa global warmer, i thought i'd seen some big trucks but holy shit! even the ones at boddington are only 250t.

They have the electric shovels at boddo too, as a result that mine alone uses 15% of WAs power grid (or something close)

Also that gizmodo shot of the snowman cult is wicked :D

And rhys i know your name, if i had spent too long taking the photo the dude would of been suss, i can always crop it :)

Pfft, Liebherr (or however you spell it)

I build bigger trucks in my sleep :P

Me next to a Komatsu 960E, I build dump trucks every now and then ;)

BTW: QSK 78 Engine = 78Litre capacity, 12 turbos, 18 cylinders. 3500hp and alot of torque driving an alternator and 2 GE Wheel motors. Max Speed 64km/h

960E.jpg

I did some night shots of my car the other day, To much ISO but there was a fair bit of noise in the photo (to much ISO right? haha) but this one turned out OK

89CAL1.jpg

Edited by 89CAL

Pfft, Liebherr (or however you spell it)

I build bigger trucks in my sleep :P

Me next to a Komatsu 960E, I build dump trucks every now and then ;)

BTW: QSK 78 Engine = 78Litre capacity, 12 turbos, 18 cylinders. 3500hp and alot of torque driving an alternator and 2 GE Wheel motors. Max Speed 64km/h

960E.jpg

I did some night shots of my car the other day, To much ISO but there was a fair bit of noise in the photo (to much ISO right? haha) but this one turned out OK

89CAL1.jpg

WOW 12 turbos... that's nuts!!! but yes if your ISO is high (usually more then 3200 correct me if im wrong) depending on the camera noise will show up invest in a flash or low light lenses and you'll be sweet :)

love the angle of that shot woodsy.

hows this for cool (or weird)

bought a torch the other day and its model number is 19 and it also has a plastic disc that you have to remove before it will work. turns out its almost a perfect fit to use as a color filter for the torch itself. cant wait to test it out in a light painting soon.

181332_1648172917284_1025781561_31426750_3789316_n.jpg

daaaaaymmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm jay. killing it. each one of those shots is gold man! loving the skys, loving how you haven't over done and killed the hdr. not many people understand what hdr is about but you sir, seem to have it covered. keep em coming.

ah cheers man. with the HDR's I just process them so they look ok to me and then cross my fingers and hope others like them. i guess i just try to use HDR to compensate for parts of a scene that get too bright or dark when the main subject is fine.

I had a go at some commercial shots during my lunch break at work today. 3 strobes. One for the back wall, 2 on the car. I'm really happy with how these are turning out. Must be the square little model I was using...

5412199395_ab04ab9e03_b.jpg

i like this shot mostly. only CC i have is the front bumper is just a little overblown. maybe a little less power or a little further back? been so long since I played with speedlights.

oh and i dunno about the wall at back being so bright, might be just me, but seeing as you get a little reflection on the windscreen and the floor isnt perfect white I think it allows for the background to have some texture in it. just my thoughts, what does everyone else think?

5412223535_d5c55cba5c_b.jpg

nice.

maybe just a (metric) smidge of light in the top centre of the bonnet near the edge of frame would give it a little more balance?

overall heaps good still.

some more I took on Saturday night 2 of the 800 photos that is... haha I got some awesome shots from that night... the lighting setup was pretty good

used my Nikon D700

50mm f1.8

no flash

iso between 800 - 1250

shutterspeed hovering around 80

most shots were done between 1.8 to 2.5 but some of them I managed to bump up to about 3.5 - 4 as I was looking directly into to the lights

post-78617-0-41264600-1296987543_thumb.jpg

post-78617-0-35489200-1296987568_thumb.jpg

Noise shows up well before 3200. Around ISO 800 on most cameras. It depends on what you shoot with (camera, nothing to do with lenses). The only thing lenses come into is that you can shoot at 1.2/1.4 etc.. in low light so that your shutter speed can be upped or your ISO dropped. This doesn't always help out THAT much but it helps.

I can't get over how fcuking big those trucks are. Would love to drive one!

Jay your definitely killing it with the HDR's. Look so natural and i feel like i'm there.

Lepperfish - Good to see you posting again :) Really like that silo of the car!

Edited by FST513