SAU Community

Off Topic: Where's The Cleanest Air In Tasmania?

jrh001

Hi,

Apologies for a non-Skyline question....

Trying to help a 20yo with chronic asthma. We figure that parts of Tassie would have clean air although I've read that there's a fair amount of pollution in some places.

Do you have any suggestions about where or where not to live if looking for clean air.

So far (and just guessing), we thought that somewhere south of Hobart would be good (but maybe too remote), or East Coast around St Helens perhaps? What about places like Stanley?

Not worried about cool or cold temperatures, the recent heat and humidity in Melbourne haven't helped.

Thanks in advance,

JohnH

Launceston is a bowl that holds in all the smoke in winter

i have very mild asthma and it doesn't really get me

but someone said that a lot of ppl move from melbourne to qld because the warm temps and high humidity actually helps with asthma

anywhere on the east coast would be good tho

Hi,

I'm in Burnie,

Summers nice and warm (low / mid 30's), but that only last for a few weeks a year,

Winters cold, normally less than 8-9 degrees, snow about 15 minute drive away in winter, beach a few minutes drive the other directing

I been living here all my life, so I think it's a great place,

Job prospects may be a little slim, but it depends what you might be looking after,

if you into manufacturing , boiler maker - wielder, that type of thing, Elephinstone (CAT) are / were putting people on

Nigel

I grew up in the north east (in the bush near derby) and had asthma pretty badly back then, but luckily grew out of it and haven't had an attack since I was about 12-13. Don't be fooled too much by nice little old country areas as a lot of the houses are older and people will be using wood heaters rather than electric in the winters, and in valleys this can sometimes just sit around. I'm pretty certain the west coast of Tassie is considered to have the cleanest air, as it comes straight in from the roaring fourties, but jobs will probably be harder to find.

I would avoid launceston because as pipster11 said it holds the smog in it's little bowl, if you're planning on making frequent city trips Hobart is possibly a better choice. I lived down the huon valley region for a couple of years and we had no problems :)

What is/are your trade(s)? Tassie can sometimes limit your options outside the city pretty quickly if your trade isn't considered blue (or sometimes pink, social worker etc) collar work.

The current plan is to visit the east coast and then head south. And yes, work options will be an issue if he decides to stay... thanks for the replies.

cheers,

JohnH