SAU Community

So You've Never Done Texi Before?

oweban

So you've never done Texi before?

Welcome to your new addiction.

To start with, have a look at this video, it'll show you what happens there before I get started with the loooong bunch of reading.

<3 to Eric for his hard work on this.

Firstly, location:

This carpark and pad. Zoom out to work out how to get there.

Before I start this long read, MASSIVE ups to everyone who makes these events happen, to the photographers/videographers (Matt, Kory, Eric, and I'm not sure who the other guy was, sorry!), and everyone who comes for making it a fun day every time.

Onwards!

This is everything you'll need to come along and have fun.

The initial setup needed for doing Texikhanas is as follows, with some rough pricing included.

Fire extinguisher: $30
Helmet: $100 (approx)
CAMS/ASAA license: $50 (approx)
Event itself: $55 or 75 (this changes every now and then; our costs keep rising :/ )

These will be covered below.

If you're not a member of SAU, you can sign up on the day for $60 (renewal is $40, yearly); membership is on a prorata basis from June-June. You get a $20 discount at all Texikhana events, discounts on merchandise, and an extra forum where all the cool kids hang out. There's also benefits of membership such as deals on Fenix Radiators and Federal Tyres.

So if you're coming to multiple texis, it will pay for itself!

If you wanna join, the form is attached to this post.

Just fill it out and bring on the day!

</plug>

AASA License.pdf

CAMS Forms.pdf

SAUNSW membership.pdf

WHAT DO I NEED?

Fire extinguisher:
This is the trickiest bit, due to installation.

$30 from Autobarn (or similar). There's some threads around where people have mounted their extinguisher under the back seat; pictures in THIS LINK DOWN BELOW CLICK CLICK CLICK phew

Helmet:
I bought my helmet from a guy on eBay, and I know there's a few more out there who've done the same thing. The helmet has to comply to the 1698AS/NZ regulation, and these do. Posted, they're around $90 from memory. If you want another visor too, the dark tinted ones are good.

http://shop.ebay.com...=&_trksid=p3686

His measurements are pretty right (in terms of, get something, wrap it around your head above your ears, voila).

Alternatively, if you're near an MCAS (mcas.com.au), they also have some pretty cheap helmets. Some people prefer open-face helmets for Texi, some prefer closed. Up to you, in the end.

CAMS/ASAA License:
This is absolutely necessary. Basically it's a license to say that you're going to compete in an event, etc. Think of it as how fishers need a fishing license.

You can pre-download the forms from:

Check the first post for updated links.

By filling it out prior to attending, it makes things that much quicker. Much appreciated by the execs!

IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I NEED?

Not NEED as such, but on the day, sometimes we have a few photographers and videographers, and in the weeks following the texi, compile all the photos and videos they've taken, and send them out on DVDs to the people who've ordered them. The DVDs cost $25 (from memory?) last time, and are chock-full of stuff from the day. While not exclusively of your car, there'll be plenty in there, and the work that the guys do is just amazing.

For examples of the photography work, see:

http://mattheweverin....com/?page_id=6
http://www.koryleung...lleryindex.html

You can also rent one of three Go-Pros that SAUNSW has purchased, but keep in mind these go fast. Rental for the day is $35, IIRC, and includes instruction, and then the DVD with all the movies mailed out to you.

Sometimes these might not be available - If you're unsure, ask on the day.

ON THE DAY

The early-birds get there around 7.30am to set up and to start all the paperwork going (and have a chat), but driver's briefing is at 8.40am. Please don't get there at 8.30; your car needs to be scrutinised to ensure there's nothing horribly wrong with it prior to getting on the pad.

Scrutinising includes:

-No oil leaks
-No loose items in cars (subs, floor mats, bags, etc)
-No screamer pipes

Here's a link to the last scrutineering sheet to give you an idea what to check:
(LINK TO SCRUTINEERING FORM? Anyone wanna help out with this?)

As a rough guide, getting there at ABSOLUTE LATEST 8.00 is the way to go. Gives you time to do all your paperwork, get your car number, do scrutineering, and change tyres/whatever other mechanical work you need to do, including getting everything out of your car that's loose.

The day goes from 9am to 4.30pm, and you'll get quite a few runs in. A fair few people head off at around 3 or so, as it can get quite exhausting, and some of us have a long drive home. This works out good for those who stay; more pan time!

HOW IT WORKS

Morning courses are set up and run for half the day. You have a "left" course and a "right" course. In the afternoon, they're switched over to battle courses, where you do the same track side-by-side with another car. We all line up in the carpark and have a go one at a time, with one person on each "side" at a time.

MORNING COURSES

Here's videos of the last two texi's morning courses:

Left Course:

Looped course:
......crap I'm having a hard time finding a video. I've got one on my laptop but I'm on a train right now so I'll upload when I get to work.

Cloverleaf:
Eric's video again… Direct link to a 180 doing it right (video jumps to the right time):

Right Course:

The right course involves a "go-to-whoa" section, where you accelerate hard, then brake to finish within a box.

Use Eric's video above, and jump to 2m25s.

Afternoon Battle Courses:

Eric's video again, 6m30s.

We all roll out on the tarmac at the far end, line up, and do battle. Awesome adrenaline rush trying to beat someone when you've got a direct reference to how well you're doing.

NOTE, these are changing this texi, apparently. Battles will no longer be done side by side, but be done in the format of the morning courses; the pad split in two.

NOW WHAT?

Hopefully this has convinced you that it's an awesome day, and we want to go out there and just have fun biggrin.gif

TL,DR: JUST COME ALONG AND HAVE FUN.

• 1 year later...

UPDATE::

Check the first post for the latest CAMS/AASA forms. AASA's website has been flaky at best lately, and CAMS don't run a PDF rendering engine, making you use ASHX or something.

Print these out, fill em out, and bring em on the day (if you need a license).

• 3 weeks later...

Posted an update to change a few details. Have also added a hard-link to the Youtube video; SAU's new forum code doesn't seem to remember embedded youtube links very well. WSIWYG editors vs BBcode etc

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

What's better to arrive with? full tank / half tank / almost empty tank of fuel?

Depending on how heavy your car is on the Juice, ill be running on a full tank...

If you think you might spill petrol out (old gas cap/old gasket) then 3/4 tank. Just to be sure. We've seen cars gushing fuel out and have to ask them to sort it out.

Stock & Mild mod'd cars would go through 1/4 - 1/2 tank.

You'd only go through more if you have a VERY serious car (e.g. 1000+ cc injectors, e85 tune, etc).

If you think you might spill petrol out (old gas cap/old gasket) then 3/4 tank. Just to be sure. We've seen cars gushing fuel out and have to ask them to sort it out.

Stock & Mild mod'd cars would go through 1/4 - 1/2 tank.

You'd only go through more if you have a VERY serious car (e.g. 1000+ cc injectors, e85 tune, etc).

I have 2000cc injectors but don't need more than 1/4 tank as I normally break shit before then :laugh: just ask Luke!