SAU Community

Rip Dvd Movies Into Xvid High Quality (Like Axxo Releases)

paulr33

HOW TO: Rip DVD movies into XVID high quality movies (like AXXO releases)

Intended Audience: Anyone who likes watching movies, without using the DVD physical disc

Technical Level: High

Duration: 1 hour

Effort: Low

Result: Excellent

Note: I have adopted this Howto from the original source here, http://isohunt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122228

You can read that one and use that one but it goes into lots of extra detail and junk that I didn't find necessary. This is the quick n short version. But if you get stuck, or need some extra read go read that page as it has everything and that's where I learnt it from.

I originally was using Xilisoft to make movies into MKV format but I could never get it correct and the movies would always come out choppy, jerky, out of sync and inconsistent when using Xilisoft. MKV was my preferred format, but XVID seems to work great when you use Auto GK.

There are a number of programs to allow you to rip and copy your DVD movies onto your computer and compress them. The advantage is lower disk space, no requirement to physically load the DVD disc into your player or computer and you can watch it anytime/copy it etc. The world of compressiong and encoding movies (like DVD to XVID etc) is very confusing, lots of terms, lots of applications, lots of tools, mods etc and some confusing terms and how-to's.

I will try to provide some basic information and a simple how to on ripping DVD movies into XVID like the AXXO releases. AXXO is a ripper guy who rips DVD movies (usually good movies) into 800mb XVID format and they come out great for the size and very watchable. If you want to check out an AXXO release, go here and pick one and watch it - http://torrentz.eu/search?f=AXXO

Some terms:

AXXO - a well known movie release guy

XVID - 2nd generation DIVX codec (its DIVX backwards), better compression, better quality, always use XVID over DIVX

DIVX - the original DIVX codec, use XVID whereever possible as DIVX is older generation

MKV - Matroska movie format container, usually highres and very smooth playback

MATROSKA - as above, Matroska format - ie: Movie.MKV - great quality and high res, hard to encode into MKV properly (if you dont know what you are doing)

BITRATE - the rate of bits inside the movie, just like an Mp3 has 192kbps or 224kbps or 128kbps etc, movies have the same, ie 1125kbps

VOB - DVD Video Object files, ie the video content

SUB - Subtitles for a movie, sometimes movies come with .sub or .srt files or include SUB in the movie name, ie; it has subtitles

TELESYNC - synced movie built from two different sources and joined together - ie not DVD quality and usually poor (new releases @ the movies - are often like this)

SCREENER - similar to telesync, usually handy-cam style movies ripped out of the cinema - avoid these

R5 - region 5 DVD movie zoning, a number of movies get released into R5 head of other countries, if you are looking for new releases try searching your torrent site for R5

BDRIP - Blue ray movie rip

AC3 - sound codec used for sound encoding

720P/480P/1080P - pixel rating for the movie, the higher the better, 720P is very clear, sharp and usually "high def". 1080p is high def, but depending on file size and your download quota etc 720p is perfectly acceptable

H264 - sound codec used for sound encoding

DTS - used for sound encoding

MULTISUB - different subtitles included, ie english, spanish

Programs you'll need

Auto GK

DVD Decrypt

Media Player Classic Home Cinema (comes with Combined Community Codec Pack)

** pre install all programs, in this order **

1. Install the Combined Community Codec Pack (download http://www.cccp-project.net/download.php?type=cccp)

2. Reboot to ensure all the codecs are ready

3. Install DVD Decrypt (download http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/)

4. Install Auto GK (it will come with and install about 5 other programs, install them as defaults and just accept them and install)

(download http://www.autogk.me.uk/index.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=1)

Ok now it's time rip the movie and then compress the movie

1. Copy your DVD movie to your PC.

Use DVD Decrypt and copy the entire disc to your drive, somewhere like c:\dvd image\Speed (for example, speed the movie). The folder should have a number of VOB and IFO files, usually 2-3GB at least

2. Open Auto GK

Select the largest set of VOB files, matching the .IFO file and selecting the .IFO file.

As per screenshot from another HOW TO here

post-2054-0-13305800-1293426506_thumb.jpg

So here we can see all the big VOB files in sequence, we need to select the matching .IFO file, thats the main movie information file

3. Set your output to whatever you like.avi

4. Set the audio track to whatever you like, usually English is default (no need to change)

5. Set the subtitles if you want any (no thanks!)

6. Set the output size to whatever you like, I usually do Custom Size 1300MB

7. Check Advanced Settings if you like (not required, but if you fiddle, make sure its on XVID)

8. Check Secret settings if you like (not required or recommended) by pressing Control-F9

9. Click Add Job

post-2054-0-50576400-1293427025_thumb.jpg

10. Repeat for any other movies (you can queue them up)

11. Click Start and it will encode the movie

12. The first time you encode a movie for the first time some of the applications come up with a "Do you accept" first time use type dialogs, choose YES otherwise it won't work.

Whilst it is encoding your movies, windows and other screens will popup, ignore these and do not close them, Auto GK shells out a number of programs to build the movie and this is normal. Auto GK is basically a simple front end to all the applications it installs to build the movie as one. It handles everything automatically so no need to worry. Once done you can test your movies with Media Player Classic Home Cinema and they should play, be in sync, sound matches voice and quality spot on. You can vary the movie size to whatever you like but as space is not an issue for most people I prefer to go for a bigger movie size to get the bitrate up higher for higher quality.

• Like 2