SAU Community

42 L Packard-Engined Bentley

all the old land speed record holders had massive engines. i know one was 18L and i think another was 22L, and they were only putting out much less than 1000hp. there was the sunbeam that was the 18L one. it was a v12 putting out about 350hp. that's the main one i remember.

i also remember seeing something on a show years and years ago about some sports car in the 20's i think it was that was had a supercharger that used to kick in like a turbo and because the tyres were so skinny and crappy it would about spin the car around because it nearly doubled the power in a very short period of time. it kicked in at somewhat high rpm so you were travelling at speed when it kicked in.

i also have somewhere some info on an old bugatti or bentley (can't remember which but it started with B and was from the early 1900's) and it had a straight 16 engine.

I'd be interested to see how fast it would go on the salt flats.

It's got enough torque to pull a stonehenge megolith up a mountain.

Anyway it must be mad to drive because of the lack of grip, brakes, and total mechanicalness of it...that and the insane torque.

On the list of impractical cars, this one mocks all the others. Surely mashing the throttle in that thing would be a quicker execution than anything else humans have come up with so far.

I'd be interested to see how fast it would go on the salt flats.

It's got enough torque to pull a stonehenge megolith up a mountain.

Anyway it must be mad to drive because of the lack of grip, brakes, and total mechanicalness of it...that and the insane torque.

top speed is quoted at 168mph. very low revs and high weight would slow it down a bit. i really don't think the torque would be too much of an issue though. sure it only has small tyres, but heavy weight over small tyres can actually increase the grip. plus i doubt the engines are that responsive. if you were to simply stop the accelerator i doubt it would simply fry the tyres like on a modern high powered car. also the gearing would be pretty tall (once you take into account tyre size).

Unfortunately, the article is wrong. It is not a V12, it's actually a straight 12cylinder.

If you look at the picture, there are 12 exhausts on the side of the motor. If it was a V12, then there would be only 6 exhausts on the side of the motor facing the camera.

:D

Unfortunately, the article is wrong. It is not a V12, it's actually a straight 12cylinder.

If you look at the picture, there are 12 exhausts on the side of the motor. If it was a V12, then there would be only 6 exhausts on the side of the motor facing the camera.

:D

Nope, its def a V12. The old packard boat engines have 24 exhaust pipes, 12 on each side. They also run in the opposite direction to road car engines (same as aircraft engines) so that lumbering behelmoth must have a primary gearbox hidden in it somewhere as well. Awesome engineering.

Packard-Bentley-7_1789468i.jpg

awesome vid of the road test - http://www.telegraph...ed-Bentley.html

Nope, its def a V12. The old packard boat engines have 24 exhaust pipes, 12 on each side. They also run in the opposite direction to road car engines (same as aircraft engines) so that lumbering behelmoth must have a primary gearbox hidden in it somewhere as well. Awesome engineering.

Packard-Bentley-7_1789468i.jpg

awesome vid of the road test - http://www.telegraph...ed-Bentley.html

nah it says that have the bently speed 6 rear end in it, reversed. so they probably have the diff (or at least the internals) in upside down to get it to run the other way.

and yeah, it says in the story that it has 24 exhaust pipes. second line of the second paragraph.

top speed is quoted at 168mph. very low revs and high weight would slow it down a bit. i really don't think the torque would be too much of an issue though. sure it only has small tyres, but heavy weight over small tyres can actually increase the grip. plus i doubt the engines are that responsive. if you were to simply stop the accelerator i doubt it would simply fry the tyres like on a modern high powered car. also the gearing would be pretty tall (once you take into account tyre size).

I'd imagine the top speed is limited by the effective final drive ratio rather than power.

No that I'd feel especially safe doing 200 mph in that car LOL.