SAU Community

R33 Vct Timing Using A Nistune Ecu

danny14

hey guys just about to purchase a nistune ecu and am going to use an r32 ecu with the board replacement from nistune

to run in my r33 gts t series1

only thing is r32 ecu does not have vct what can i do about this and how does it work out nistune said something bout a vct controller

some help would be much appreciated

It's been covered in a few threads now...

You can use a z32 ecu with the nistune board. Or use an rpm window switch. I use an MSD window switch. All you have to do is run a positive from the ignition, then a switched negative to activate the VCT soliniod. I switch the VCT on at 1300rpm then off at 4600rpm.

Others have used aux output from a turbosmart ebc, jcar kit (I don't think it would work well though) or shift light circut.

My VCT solinioid draws 1.3amps.

Cheers

Justin

• Like 1

You can run the rb25 without using the VCT... it's just not ideal, but you wont hurt anything.

If you use an rpm window switch, you don't have to do anything manualy??? It's not a hassle or very hard... if you can wire a relay you can wire in the window switch.

VCT- Variable cam timing = Oil pressure is sent up the inlet camshaft to the vct cam gear and changes the intake cam timing.

The MSD switch is rated at 2amps (i'll have to check that) and my solinoid draws no more than 1.3amps. I didn't use a relay.

The best way to 'understand' the vct set up on a 25 head is to use the search function...

Cheers

Justin

• Like 1

someone please help me out should i go nistune ? i already bought a 32 ecu .

and z 32 afm .

what is the go with vct i dont understand?

Sell the R32 ecu and buy a Z32 one (probably cheaper than getting a seperate switch).

Then nistune that.

Google "how does variable cam timing work" for a wealth of info

• Like 1

sell r32 and buy Z32.

Same type 2 board, Use a 41P01 ecu as it seems to work real well.

Heres a base map i uploaded

http://forum.nistune.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1274&start=0

here is how to:

a http://forum.nistune.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1269

Is this how to setup the VCT...with VTC Solenoid RPM Recover ~1050rpm, and VTC Solenoid RPM cut ~4500rpm... ?

Mine was setup very differently with RPM Recover at 6100rpm and RPM Cut at 4500rpm. Strange....is mine setup wrong? I will give this a seat of the pants trial.

Edited by simpletool

i looked into this, IMO its easiest to do the internal rewire of the Z32 board and use it with the existing loom.

the new nistune z32s have the re wiring done already, dont need to change anything

• 2 months later...

You can't put a normal adjustable cam gear onto a RB25 inlet cam, they are a special cam with a single bolt running into them to hold the VCT in place. You can however buy a special Greddy cam gear (I think it was Greddy, can't remember now) that makes it semi adjustable.

As has been discussed in plenty of threads. Losing VCT is stupid for a street car, it is a damn good thing. You should do whatever it takes to get it back.