SAU Community

E85 In Brisbane - At The Pump! Finally

PetroDola

So can someone give the lowdown on E85? I've heard many things about it - higher octane (not necessarily 98+ though), less energy (up to 30% less?), might wreck your fuel lines/hoses...

What's the truth?

Ahh ok found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85_in_standa...charged_engines

How accurate is that article?

Edited by ironpaw

My understanding is it's less flammable so you need more of it to do the same as fossil fuel (around double) thus running a mix of corn and fuel at a the ratio mentioned above it will lean out your motor without you needing to manually lower your injector cycle. Less fuel to burn means more power. I will never put that garbage in my car. It's not worth killing my motor.

yeah with E85 its good to run teflon coated fuel lines as its doesn't react with the ethanol and helps with any vapours that may leech out using normal rubber lines, also pays to make sure your pump and injectors can handle it, usually anything that can take methanol is ok for ethanol.

its not like adding E85 will magically give your car more power by itself, you need to get it tuned for it. with E85 you can safely add in more timing than you can with PULP98, where you would normally get knock increasing timing. generally more timing = more power.

personally i'm not even going to look at E85 until its availability grows and until it get its own pricing, and not just a derivative of ULP. at its current price, usually 20c a litre less than ULP going off reports from the southern states, in my opinion is kind of offset by the 25-30% increase in fuel consumption. but if those two things would change, i would happily change to an ethanol setup, the idea of higher, safer power and better mid range is too tempting, even if i have to make more frequent trips to the servo.

Edited by QWK32

Its great for any turbo or high compression application due to its anti knock properties. No timing adjustment has to be done, just boost it up, preferably over 20psi.

I have been running it for around 8 months, no issues, rubber lines are fine. Most cars made after 1985 will be fine with ethanol as the manufacturers had to adjust their fuel systems for e10.

You will need around 20% more injector flow, this can be from full tuning (advised) or simply wacking in a 20% larger set of injectors and playing with the fuel pressure.