SAU Community

Vq25det To Vq35det Conversion In M35 Stagea?

dcdc

Hi guys, I need some help attempting this conversion...

For VQ25DET to VQ35DE(T) conversion in M35 Stagea, what is the simplest option?

1. Boring and stroking VQ25 to VQ35 spec, and using forged internals for VQ35DE(T) application,

or

2. Will a VQ35DE engine mate up to gearbox and diff from M35 with ATTESA while still retaining the ATTESA system? Can this be done, either as a bolt-on affair or with some (simple) modifications?

Thanks in advance...

Danny

dare say your best speaking to scott about this as he's done the most research into this affair.

i know however the blocks are identical and you can use turbo components from a vq25det to make a vq35det from a vq25det and vq35de

you would think if the block was the same the bolt pattern for the gearbox would be identical also... but dont quote me on that.

Thanks for the pointers fellas, very interesting read..

Anyone know a reliable source for a VQ35DE in Queensland?

It's been said they're readily available, but I can't seem to locate any...

Thanks in advance.

Danny

thats because there is only 1 dealer who holds the compliance for the 'series 2' VQ35DE models

that would be Nortshore Prestige in Sydney. give them a call or check out their stock online. they will be happy to ship to anywhere

Theres on in my shed, im stripping it atm for inspection before rebuilding it for FI.

What are your plans? The VQ25det has the stronger rods and is quite a capable little engine once tuned...

You would be looking at around 3k I would guess for a VQ35de from a wrecker (if you find one), thats a fair bit if you intend to strip it, best bet is to find a damaged engine if you can. How do you plan to get it all running? What ecu and gearbox?

There is another option of stroking the 2.5 and fitting larger sleeves...

Both conversions are quite expensive.....If you have the money and time though go for it!.......what AWKW's are you looking for?

Don't think that you can get a stock VQ35DE strap on a turbo and then wind it up to 400AWKW's safely and think you wont start bending rod's and breaking other shit......to do that safely from stock your looking at over $12K providing you do most of the work yourself!....that's not including the gearbox upgrade that you WILL need which will be about $2,000....again depending on wether you do the work yourself!

If your only looking for about 300AWKW's better off sticking with the VQ25DET(not sure a stock VQ35DE would do that).......your should be able to get to that figure safely for about $6,500.....again providing you do most of the work yourself!

Edited by Jetwreck

Hi guys, thanks heaps for all your helpful input.

I will have the VQ35DE built for turbo application.

Will retain auto box but with uprated internals.

Choice of engine management? Still undecided.

With the sort of exchange rates we're seeing, seems like it'd be worthwhile to import a built short block from the States...

Anyone know if the VQ25 and VQ35 heads are interchangeable? I'm guessing they would be..?

Cheers.

Danny

It wont all work with the VQ25det ecu, the cam adjustment is hydraulic in the 3.5 and electronic in the 2.5. You plan to keep 4wd? The standard box wont take it so I guess you will need to go manual. Mine is slipping at 300kw with 4k thrown at it.

Theres a good chance you will have no dash, abs, attessa, heater etc when you are finished if you go down the standalone ecu path as everything bar the auto is controlled from the ecu on a can line. Probably cheaper to just buy a manual V35 or 350z to mod, at least there is aftermarket support for the 350z.

What is it you want from the Stagea? It will never be a race car.

SCotty, do you mean, yours is slipping after it has had 4k thrown at rebuilding the box??

If so , damn damn damn. I guess my aspirations for turbo charging a 3.5ltr stagea just got crushed.

Yep, not a cheap way of finding that out. The clutches are just too small unfortunately, they fit a few more clutch plates in the pack but it wont hold 250kw they told me. Proved them wrong though.

Next for me will be a custom r34 box and bell housing chop and weld. Big money there, around 10k done properly.

SCotty, do you mean, yours is slipping after it has had 4k thrown at rebuilding the box??

If so , damn damn damn. I guess my aspirations for turbo charging a 3.5ltr stagea just got crushed.

Yep, not a cheap way of finding that out. The clutches are just too small unfortunately, they fit a few more clutch plates in the pack but it wont hold 250kw they told me. Proved them wrong though.

Next for me will be a custom r34 box and bell housing chop and weld. Big money there, around 10k done properly.

Lol Scott does this mean I should just give up with the tune? -

I mean, I dont think i wanna spend money on a new Gear box, if its just going screw up again..

n 10k on a Manual conversion? jebus! lol

dumps going on saturday morning.. i got the heat sheild stuff :verymad:

I hope it's that simple cause for 10k you don't really want any more headaches to deal with.

Maybe I should have kept my GTR as a spare parts car, may have saved me alot more money down the track.