SAU Community

[Closed] Borg Warner Efr Series Turbos

Lithium

20 degrees is listed as max angle of tilt for most all turbo mfg's but i always keep it under 7 degrees on all the setups we do here and usually 0 degrees

tonba -- tial is developing housings that are more compact for the EFR turbos. If you are interested in a compact version, let them know what youre looking for - they are asking for input during the design stage on what turbos to offer their versions of first

• 1 month later...

So one of the drifters in NZ just replaced his old T04Z with an EFR8374 (with 1.05a/r twin scroll housing) in an effort to improve response without losing any power... the car got off the dyno today, it's actually running a head that was previously used on a drag car and a big tube turbo manifold - so not necessarily the most conducive to good response - but nonetheless an interesting comparison.

General specs: Built RB30DET with 272deg cams, LOTS of headwork (initially used for >1000hp), twin scroll Sinco exhaust manifold, 1.05a/r EFR8374 (replaces the .70a/r TS T04Z that was on). These dyno plots are for 17psi and 20psi on the EFR8374 versus ~22psi for the T04Z:

post-11136-0-39526200-1396522844_thumb.jpg

post-11136-0-28296500-1396522828_thumb.jpg

And Facebook post showing updates - all in it made "900hp @ engine", aka 610kw @ hubs:

https://www.facebook.com/zpdrift33/posts/658380957566507?stream_ref=10

So yeah, the EFR matched the 22psi T04Z run almost all the way through the rev range using only 17psi - and well and truly surpassed it on 20psi! Definitely a big improvement, and that's before the famed transient response which he'll get to experience in a couple of weeks on it's next drift event :)

Back when I learnt maths 610-510=a number much bigger than 30. When in conjunction with a few hundred rpm lower boost threshold, without bringing into question the thing the EFRs are most famous for - transient response, then yes... that's all :P

Oh my bad, I was only looking at the first graphs you posted. Once I opened the FB link I saw the 900ps run.

So 300rpm and 150kw. Interesting.

Transient response lel

here is another relevant Garrett vs EFR comparison (on an Evo) of these turbos "all in" with our twinscroll turbo kit. this customer is doing 1/2 mile rolling races, and wanted to use the same kit Sierra Sierra ran

GT4088R 1.06 a/r (dotted line) @40psi (dropping to 34psi)

EFR9180 1.05 a/r (solid line) @42psi boost (dropping to 38psi)

10003766_10152281695592527_1737921528_o.

• Like 1

tonba -- tial is developing housings that are more compact for the EFR turbos. If you are interested in a compact version, let them know what youre looking for - they are asking for input during the design stage on what turbos to offer their versions of first

Perhaps they should look at a more compact compressor housing as well.

20 degrees is listed as max angle of tilt for most all turbo mfg's but i always keep it under 7 degrees on all the setups we do here and usually 0 degrees

I would have considered a EFR8374 if it came in a smaller housing/external gate 0.8ish rear, front cover without the extra crap would be handy as well

• Like 1

TiAL are going to be doing externally gated V-Band housings for them soon, no doubt they'll do a .82a/r version as one of their options :) You can get blanks for the BOV if you want to run your own, too.. so it'd be pretty much a "normal" turbo

What compressor housings do the Indy cars use ?

I initially though they were airwerks due to the fact the FMW compressor wheels are apparently the same wheels as EFRs.

But then I saw the pic of what they actually run, which looks to be a custom casting.

borg-warner-turbochargers-used-in-the-iz

Yep , many petrol heads will have the recirc valve and boost solenoid covered so extra bulk and clutter is often not needed .

If omissions like this make EFR turbos cheaper lighter and easier to package it's a no brainer .

I would prefer to see BW do this but if not the aftermarket may be able to cater for it if BW is prepared to sell their cartridges separately .

From memory EFR 7163 does not use port shrouded comp housings so simple all round you'd think .

Geoff , plain Jane B1 comp housing available - in aluminium ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So one of the drifters in NZ just replaced his old T04Z with an EFR8374 (with 1.05a/r twin scroll housing) in an effort to improve response without losing any power... the car got off the dyno today, it's actually running a head that was previously used on a drag car and a big tube turbo manifold - so not necessarily the most conducive to good response - but nonetheless an interesting comparison.

General specs: Built RB30DET with 272deg cams, LOTS of headwork (initially used for >1000hp), twin scroll Sinco exhaust manifold, 1.05a/r EFR8374 (replaces the .70a/r TS T04Z that was on). These dyno plots are for 17psi and 20psi on the EFR8374 versus ~22psi for the T04Z:

attachicon.gifT04Z EFR.jpg

So yeah, the EFR matched the 22psi T04Z run almost all the way through the rev range using only 17psi - and well and truly surpassed it on 20psi! Definitely a big improvement, and that's before the famed transient response which he'll get to experience in a couple of weeks on it's next drift event :)

This car had it's first drift outing with the EFR this weekend, running on it's lowest boost setting - here's some in car from the event: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=667298030008133&stream_ref=10

That thing is mental....you can feel the ease of power just watching on video...there is no waiting for power, just foot down and it spins up..you'd be forgiven for thinking it was V8.

Yeah, I think that is the best demonstration I have seen of how responsive those turbos are in practice for the power... Pretty awesome as that is near 100kw off its full power in that clip!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some video of an RB26 with a pair of 62/58's on the dyno. It has 272º HKS cams, +1mm valves and some mild head porting. It's on E85 on a dynojet dyno.

You can get an idea of spool up by freezing the dyno graph. Figured any info is better than none.

Was just looking at the specs for those 62/58s bigger then a garrett 2860 in all forms... yet on full race site they have a dyno graph of it boosting earlier then a 2860rs... sounds like a good pick, probably only good for a modded motor