SAU Community

Help With Cam Gear!

Hi.

I need some help.

I bought a greddy adjustable inlet cam gear from kudos motorsport (to suit r33 gtst with NVCS). I got it express posted to my tuner (AVO) so it could be fitted and tuned whilst my car is there.

So far up to 3 degrees in either direction has made things much worse power and response wise.

They said they didn't really wanna risk going to much further for fear of obvious damage.

Has anyone had experience with these types of cam gears that leave the nvcs intact?

Is it because i've left the nvcs intake as apposed to replacing it with a gear on it's own that I'm seeing this problem. If it is can I disable the nvcs (as it's required to stay attached to hold the cam gear in place)

Any particular degree adjust required with this particular way I've done things?

Any advice asap would be greatly appreciated. As it's still at AVO over the weekend.

My setup:

Bosch fuel pump

Fmic

3" turbo back stainless steel.

CAI/pod

LINK standalone full ecu (uses map sensor)

Gizzmo digital boost controller.

Currently makes 190rwkw @ 13psi. Tune not 100%.

They started adjusting cam gear and ended up achieving 170 on some runs.

PLEASE HELP!

thanks in advance.

Tys

Do you have an adjustable exhaust cam gear by any chance? If there are gains it will probably be by retarding the exhaust cam a few degrees on an R33 GTS-t

yes. Also have adjustable exhaust gear. I didn't check if they did both together. I assume they would have. I'll ask when they open this morning.

Thanks for the idea.

Do you have an adjustable exhaust cam gear by any chance? If there are gains it will probably be by retarding the exhaust cam a few degrees on an R33 GTS-t

sorry. Just to clarify are you saying there's not realy any gains to be made on the inlet side of things. And only on the exhaust side? Or are you saying retarding the exhaust a few degrees I'm conjunction with the inlet adjusting?

Thanks!

bit of both . mainyl exhaust by itself

So I'm under the impression I wasted my money on the inlet one then?

Avo think it may be of more use when I get a larger turbo.

Does this sound right?

If the tune isnt right yet then why are they playing with cam timing? and yeah not really much point when running a standard turbo

I should have clareified. Not 100% because I'm

considering asking for another pound of boost :P.

So you think it's worth hanging on to the inlet gear for future bigger turbo adjustments?

Thank you.

stock turbo= set it to zero.

larger turbo= tune it!

lol. Thanks!

That's what avo was saying. And I was just worried about wasting my money.

I'll stick with aDjusting the exhaust at this stage.

Thanks everyone!

Keep the vct on inlet (even when you get a bigger turbo). Adjustable on exhaust only. I had a GCG hiflow on my RB25DET making around 245awkw (running 1 bar) exhaust cam retarded 4 deg (tuned on dyno). I can't remember where the gains were but it may have been midrange rather then max power.

Keep the vct on inlet (even when you get a bigger turbo). Adjustable on exhaust only. I had a GCG hiflow on my RB25DET making around 245awkw (running 1 bar) exhaust cam retarded 4 deg (tuned on dyno). I can't remember where the gains were but it may have been midrange rather then max power.

surely there's a reason for this item? Otherwise they wouldn't bother making it. I hope...

• Like 1

Ok. Got the car back. Kept boost the same. Made 191rwkw.

Adjusting EITHER of the cam gears gave no positive results.

Bit frustrating. Might just be my particular situation?

Cheers guys

Not your situation - plenty of people have tried cam gears on the RB25 and realistically seen no major gains given the VCT and all the rest of it - you don't need them.

Just because someone makes a product, doesn't mean it'll work with your application.

BOV's are a excellent example as well.

Not your situation - plenty of people have tried cam gears on the RB25 and realistically seen no major gains given the VCT and all the rest of it - you don't need them.

Just because someone makes a product, doesn't mean it'll work with your application.

BOV's are a excellent example as well.

Yeah that's a fair point. Thanks for the input :)