SAU Community

Retard Ex Cam Gear Base Timing

TongWoo

S1 RB25det. Manifolds, intercooler, avcr, haltech, blah blah blah....either way, I've got a huge diesel turbo that I'm trying to spool. Set my exhaust cam to 4 degrees retarded (2 notches on cam gear) Do I have to change my base timing since the cas reads off the exhaust cam, or do I leave it? I have searched and searched for this here. Please help, as I want to spool this turbo so my friends SR won't desecrate my RB!

post-71145-1285473667_thumb.jpg

post-71145-1285473695_thumb.jpg

post-71145-1285473582_thumb.jpg

yes you need to reset ignition timing

That's what I was trying to tell my friend.... So Two notches at the cam gear = 4 degrees of crank timing, so the crank pulley marks will be 4 degrees off, so the thing to do would be to time the crank timing at 11 degrees, correct? Thank you for you time. I've been working so hard on this car that I tend to get a bit scatterbrained and overthink it.

info on turbino please

The turbo is a diesel turbo used on merceds and volvo commercial trucks. I don't have all the measurements with me right now, but internally it measures like a holset hx35, maybe a tad more flow. It's a Journal bearing K27 with a billet compressor wheel. It looks huge because the housing are just so damn big. The exhaust housing is an 11cm^2 I belive. It's internally gated. The stock actuator was set at 30psi, so I threw an 11psi Garrett actuator on it til I gate it externally. It is a twin scroll exhaust housing, on a non divided cheap manifold which I have reinforced and mad a support for. No BOV. My plan is to do a sound performance quick spool valve, but surprisingly, this turbo is kinda spooling alright. Here is a link to it. http://eng.turbo3k.com/catalogue/d-37/ I have just gotten everything together on this car. A lot of diy fabwork for me to fit everything... Right now I need to get a few more things (injectors, rail) so I can get it on the dyno and get the Haltech PlatPro Plugin tuned. For now I'm only running about 13-14 psi which is on around 4000 rpm, but it feels like it could really spool faster when I can turn up the boost with a good tune. BTW, did I mention that I bought it brand new (Genuine KKK turbo. They get a ton in to bench test motors. This one hadn't even been used yet.) from a friend that works at the Volvo truck plant for 100 bucks?! My RB sounds ballistic with this turbo. Sounds like a Mack truck in fast forward, lol

Edited by TongWoo