SAU Community

Achilles Tyres....any Good?

manic_moggzy

All reports say Achillies are pretty crappy. A bit more money will get a much better tyre.

If you bought the car for looks then buy a shitty tyre and hope it doesn't make the difference between a close miss and a hospital visit. But...I can tell you that a well washed Mazda SP23 would be more impressive to most girls.

If you bought the car for driving then you should get decent tyres. These start with something like a Kuhmo KU36 (fast wearing) or Federal 595SS (not exactly great), Bridgestone RE001 (a bit better), Sumitomo ZIII (my personal fav).

why the f**k would you name your tyres, which are basically shoes for what's effectively the feet of your car, after a hero whose weakness was his ankle.

they may as well have called it 'better than nothing' tyres. actually no. because that doesn't highlight it's one weakness is it's one sole (get it ) purpose.

You know what it's like.. it's like branding a condom 'AIDS.' It's the single most retarded thing I've heard all week.

thanks !

• Like 2

hahaha Mazda SP23...

yeah well maybe the achilles aren't the stickest tyre out,

but they are not a track tyre and overall they compete okay for general day to day driving conditions.

I must admit they struggle to put my 260rwhp to the ground, but hey...

I got traction control and all that junk, I'm not sure if SP23's and older / cheaper cars have that option

so if thats your case, then spend huge amounts on sticky tyres LOL

hahaha Mazda SP23...

yeah well maybe the achilles aren't the stickest tyre out,

but they are not a track tyre and overall they compete okay for general day to day driving conditions.

I must admit they struggle to put my 260rwhp to the ground, but hey...

I got traction control and all that junk, I'm not sure if SP23's and older / cheaper cars have that option

so if thats your case, then spend huge amounts on sticky tyres LOL

lol

go crash into a tree cause your tyres are shit

why the f**k would you name your tyres, which are basically shoes for what's effectively the feet of your car, after a hero whose weakness was his ankle.

they may as well have called it 'better than nothing' tyres. actually no. because that doesn't highlight it's one weakness is it's one sole (get it ) purpose.

You know what it's like.. it's like branding a condom 'AIDS.' It's the single most retarded thing I've heard all week.

thanks !

hahah well said!

But....

The cube came with achilles "sport" tyres on it, and they are actually pretty good. the poor old auto 1.3 cube kept up with the skylines thru the twisties on putty rd just fine with these tyres ;)

I would never have chosen to buy them, but they are actually pretty reasonable. 6/10. There are plenty of worse tyres that are more expensive

zebra is so hard!

dont be jealous because ur sh*tty car has like 100rwhp

and buying expensive tyres makes u feel better mate

:) haha

+1

I agree with Duncan, they are a pretty good tyre for the money

Nah, just can't be bothered arguing with someone who thinks he's right, and can make assumptions on other people's cars.

Edzakerry

lol at horsepower claim

ever note

VQ35DE - 206kw

1JZ-GTE - 206kw

so who else has a shitty car with 100hp

and besides 100hp car with good tyres = faster than 1000hp car with shit tyres

So Mr Gazza go drive a car with a sticky set of tyres on it then report back kthxbai

Dunno what everyones goin on about, I had Khumos, then toyos, now a set of Achillies, and the Achillies have worn the slowest, been the grippiest and the quietest?

YMMV obviously; I guess some people have good experiences with them, but it seems the majority have had bad experiences.

Dunno what everyones goin on about, I had Khumos, then toyos, now a set of Achillies, and the Achillies have worn the slowest, been the grippiest and the quietest?

What khumos/ toyos

ever driven on a good tyre?

well in my opinion you guys are cashed up idoits then to waste cash on over rated tyre brands?

Because I've had Kumho KU31's on my 350z with quiet what some camber issues,

and the Achille tyres are alsum!

I've done 40,000 on them then got them rotated so i'm guessing i'll get near 70,000-80,0000 on a $260 19" 265 tyre...

Also taken the Zed around to the 260km mark and the things are still okay :)

and finally they are not noisey or any worse then the Kumho tyres....

sigh. just don't be anywhere near me when your "alsum" tyres let go.

Seems you have decided already. They might be adequate even quite good. Performance depends on the exact tyre model and size also.

I guess it comes down to personal opinion how much you want to spend on tyres vs performance. I've stated my minimum purchase requirements based on experience.

When I had 260rwhp I think I was on 595SS (255/40/17s) and they worked pretty well if you kept the pressure up at least 36psi.

Edited by simpletool

Simple answer: Why bother modifying your car and increasing its performance if you are going to skimp out on THE ONLY THING CONECTING THE CAR TO THE ROAD? Cheap tyres are for sh!t box dailys

Tyres are like any other car part.

You can buy cheap Ebay spec parts which will probably work ok, go pretty close to fitting properly and will last a while.

Or

You can buy a trusted big name part, these part will cost more because the manufaure spends money on things like R&D, product testing and quality control.