SAU Community

How to turbo your N/A

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hello all,i have owned R33 RB25DE,so for sure i am going to boost it,i know how to do it and have experience with boosted NA,but its my first time with RB's,all mechanical stuff for me are clear,but need an advice for engine management choise.I have Greddy emanage blue with Greddy boost sensor on my table,does anybody have some experience with it on RB25?should i use it with DE ecu or do i have to get DET ecu anyway?ofcourse i am going for stock boost on high compresion,big FMIC,custom 2.5" intercooler piping,t3/t4 turbo,greddy intake manifold,440cc injectors(how stock ECU reacts to bigger injectors?should i get DET injectors instead?).So again,what are my best options for the moment what i have?i will have standalone in near future,but want to start it with what i have,thanks in advance for anything

If you use a Greddy intake manifold on stock boost it wouldn't make as much power as it would when using the stock intake manifold. The runners are to short on the Greddy manifold and you need to run around 18PSI+ to make a gain as it would be very laggy. Also running stock boost on a 'BIG' FMIC will be worse for you even if you used a stock intake manifold off a DET.
i wouldn't bother, just get a stock intake manifold and intercooler, or a small FMIC.

Stock RB25DE ECU will stall the engine when under boost and i dont know if they are compatible with a Emanage. A NISTUNE would be a lot better, You need to get the Nistune RB20DET ECU for a RB25DE series 1 engine or a Z32 ECU for a RB25DE series 2 engine. Again use stock injectors off RB25DET if you make 300HP+ which you wont, then upgrade to the 555CC injectors nismo make

manifold i can use or not,thats the option,cause i have it lieing in my garage aswell,my frien had it,big FMIC i mean too hard maby,its 2.5"connections,75mm fat,550mmx300mm core,so its middle big FMIC,its really not too big,i use such one for other NA boosting,just said big,depending on how small is stock ones.So if we dont look at all mechanic stuff,still my question is,can i control fueling with DE ecu and Blue emanage?maby somebody done it?i know that standalone is the best,but for now,its stupid for me to waist money on Nistune or other stock ecus,then i will have to put it for sale,cause i am 100% sure,that i will make standalone,just thought,that i can use for begining what i have,we used Blue emanage on NA boosted Honda before,it was NA Vtec,so it was runing very well with it,even,that Greddy emanage blue has Vtec control,so we could control it aswell,but dont have experience with RB's att all.My friend has RB25DET ecu,but its from R32,so it doesnt have VCT control.

ok,so it seems,that my friends ecu is from R33 RB25DET,so it would fit me very well and it would be good untill i go with standalone,just have one question-i know that its plug and play,but do i need to hook up missing wires,like boost control solenoid and other one,that i dont remember,can somebody clear me for this?what exact wires are missing?cause i think that i will go with standart DET turbo for now,so it will be installed as it was on det,so i want to connect boost solenoid aswell,i cant see what else is missing in my loom,cause i dont have NA ecu pinouts,just DET.thanks

I would never know if the NA ecu would work so lucky you have a DET ecu. Yeah i wouldnt go any bigger than that intercooler.
Not to much is missing. You just need to buy a stand alone boost controller.
greddy profec is the best value. You could use a Non turbo ECU if you wanted to because the boost controller is stand alone

• 5 weeks later...

does anyone have any tips on how to get the size 22mm bolt off that blocks the water return on the NA 25 block.... the head of the bolt is short and the block casting is just in the way so a socket fouls on the block and doesnt reach the bolt head on

gonna go shopping for some thin sockets tomorrow..... :closedeyes:

never mind, i bought a cheap socket, put my grinder in a vise and put the socket on a drill making it thin walled by grinding it down

works great :D

Edited by Dan_J

• 4 weeks later...

hey everyone

I'm hoping to get some advice or insight please.

My brother in-law and I have recently tried to do a turbo conversion on a R34 GT which has been ongoing over about 3 months.

We've tried to start it up recently, and it won't crank over.

The fuel pump (new walbro pump) primes, we have spark and I've put a screwdriver to the injectors to listen for pulse...everything seems 'okay' but it just won't fire over.

I've tried getting it a bit of a sniff with some brake cleaner and it does nothing either.

The ECU is coming back with an error 46

Is there anything I'm overlooking or neglecting? Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Marco

Oh, i'll quick add what we've have done roughly so far.

rb25det neo manifold with R33 S2 Throttle Body

rb25det exhaust manifold with R33 S2 Turbo

Walbro fuel pump

rb25det neo fuel injectors

rb25det neo auto ECU

I havn't run all the vacuum lines yet, just couple things to finalise.

• 1 year later...

hey everyone

I'm hoping to get some advice or insight please.

My brother in-law and I have recently tried to do a turbo conversion on a R34 GT which has been ongoing over about 3 months.

We've tried to start it up recently, and it won't crank over.

The fuel pump (new walbro pump) primes, we have spark and I've put a screwdriver to the injectors to listen for pulse...everything seems 'okay' but it just won't fire over.

I've tried getting it a bit of a sniff with some brake cleaner and it does nothing either.

The ECU is coming back with an error 46

Is there anything I'm overlooking or neglecting? Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Marco

Oh, i'll quick add what we've have done roughly so far.

rb25det neo manifold with R33 S2 Throttle Body

rb25det exhaust manifold with R33 S2 Turbo

Walbro fuel pump

rb25det neo fuel injectors

rb25det neo auto ECU

I havn't run all the vacuum lines yet, just couple things to finalise.

Im looking at doing the same kind of thing, but I can't decide if I want to buy a neo rb25det awd engine and swap it. Or turbo the neo de I have... I have a gt-4 2 Door manual 34. Iv been offed a stagea awd neo25det $2400... Would it be a straight swap? Plug n play? And I have a power fc and hand controler for a 34 gtt. In its box sitting around.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

has anyone drilled into the stock turbo oil feed section onto the block before....... looks like you need a long drill ?

Iv read this from the start, easy way out of not drilling it to get a oilcooler and run the oil feed into that then into the oil filer lines and back.... Something like that, hope that helps.

After owning me coupe 34 Gt4 for 9 year n/a iv decide to turbo it. And that oil cooler idea looks like the go

• 2 months later...

Still getting people inboxing/PM'ing me with questions about reliability. Unopened NA eninge has now had a turbo for 5+ years and 100,000kms. ~240rwkw for 2+ years on 16 psi. 8k limiter. 0 issues. So long as your supporting mods, tune and maintenance are up to scratch, and the engine is healthy initially you shouldn't have issues.

• 2 weeks later...

can anyone shed a bit more light on the water/oil feeds and returns please?

just wondering what oil line you tapped into near the filter? I was assuming you meant the stock oil cooler block thing where the oil filter screws on but my rb25deNEO doesn't have one. was considering using an aftermarket oil cooler as mentioned above but trying to get away without using one.

Also where do you return the water line back into? the other heater hose?

sorry for the noob questions just been scratching my head over this for a few months now lol :ph34r2:

can anyone shed a bit more light on the water/oil feeds and returns please?

just wondering what oil line you tapped into near the filter? I was assuming you meant the stock oil cooler block thing where the oil filter screws on but my rb25deNEO doesn't have one. was considering using an aftermarket oil cooler as mentioned above but trying to get away without using one.

Also where do you return the water line back into? the other heater hose?

sorry for the noob questions just been scratching my head over this for a few months now lol :ph34r2:

I returned the water via the stock fitting into the block (just had a blanking bolt in there, but was actually drilled/tapped right through already). For the oil return I tee'd into the head oil drain.

As for reliability, turbo went on in mid-2009, still going strong :) Haven't actually ever had it on the dyno, so no idea what power figures it's putting out, but sees 10PSI all day long without an issue (running an eManage Gold piggyback). That said, it doesn't actually get driven much these days, so it's only done a little under 50,000kms in that time, and very little track work.

I returned the water via the stock fitting into the block (just had a blanking bolt in there, but was actually drilled/tapped right through already). For the oil return I tee'd into the head oil drain.

As for reliability, turbo went on in mid-2009, still going strong :) Haven't actually ever had it on the dyno, so no idea what power figures it's putting out, but sees 10PSI all day long without an issue (running an eManage Gold piggyback). That said, it doesn't actually get driven much these days, so it's only done a little under 50,000kms in that time, and very little track work.

Thanks for the fast reply mate :)

Also just wondering where abouts you got the oil feed from?

Thats awesome man!! would be interesting to get it on a dyno and see how much power it makes :D

I'm turboing my 34 sedan auto, I'm stuck on what ecu to use, I was given an gtt auto ecu for free. My questions are will the gtt ecu work fine with the control of the auto tiptronic box and also will the stock map thats on the gtt ecu be okay to run for a little while untill i have the time to take it to the tuners ? it's obviously an neo na engine and i'll be using 33 gtst stock turbo and 34 gtt injectors.