SAU Community

M35 Bov?

spoolin12

Hey guys.

My M35 seems to be farting when under full boost at around 3-4000rpm. I remember reading about people saying it was either an exhaust leak or an issue with the BOV.

Has anyone found a fix for the farting? I remember reading about someone ordering a new BOV but never heard the outcome..

I was wondering if a stock R32/33/34 GT-R BOV would bolt strait on as a replacement of the stock BOV?

Cheers! icon_e_smile.gif

Hey guys.

My M35 seems to be farting when under full boost at around 3-4000rpm. I remember reading about people saying it was either an exhaust leak or an issue with the BOV.

Has anyone found a fix for the farting? I remember reading about someone ordering a new BOV but never heard the outcome..

I was wondering if a stock R32/33/34 GT-R BOV would bolt strait on as a replacement of the stock BOV?

Cheers! icon_e_smile.gif

Hey Chris,

I would doubt compatibility of any R Skyline BOV due to the VQ engine. I could be incorrect but I doubt they would be a straight bolt on.

I was looking into a TurboSmart Dual Port BOV but I've put it off until the ECU's are remappable and the highflow turbo project get's underway.

I'm trying to think off the top of my head who may have done an M35 BOV replacement and the only one I can think of has sold his Stagea and downgraded to a Lexus or something like that LOL

I can't confirm 100% but I was just reading something on Turbosmart and it may be fact that the Dual Port will NOT fit the vq25det with the trumpet fitted, so either drop the trumpet or opt for the Kompact Dual Port.

It could be the Kompact Plumb Back for Nissan 2010, that states Stagea (ALL models) compatibility, not 100% on the dual port though.

Hey guys.

Cheers! icon_e_smile.gif

Hey that was me with the farting stagea,

I was told it was most likely an issue with the bov, I've ordered a new Nissan one ($250) and was going get it fitted this week...... until the top tank on my radiator split.....

So once I get my car back and get the BOV fitted I'll let you know. It's been a pretty long process and I'm hoping to get it all sorted before I drive to QLD at the end of the month.

Cheers.

I doubt it will be the bov, more chance one of the cooler hoses has split or the exhaust manifold is leaking.

+1 :laugh:

Chris, if you really want to go with an aftermarket BOV, perhaps look at the Greddy RZ unit?

It can be used either venting to atmosphere :laugh: or plumb back :laugh: and is good for up to a claimed 400hp.

If you plan to go with more power, perhaps the HKS SSQV unit?

I don't see how it's the BOV. They are closed under pressure when they aren't operating so how can they leak!? Doesn't really make sense that it can be doing the exact opposite of its intended purpose even without a spring at all the pressure would still keep it closed under power.

Hey that was me with the farting stagea,

I was told it was most likely an issue with the bov, I've ordered a new Nissan one ($250) and was going get it fitted this week...... until the top tank on my radiator split.....

So once I get my car back and get the BOV fitted I'll let you know. It's been a pretty long process and I'm hoping to get it all sorted before I drive to QLD at the end of the month.

Cheers.

Let me know how you end up going!

+1 :D

Chris, if you really want to go with an aftermarket BOV, perhaps look at the Greddy RZ unit?

It can be used either venting to atmosphere :) or plumb back :) and is good for up to a claimed 400hp.

If you plan to go with more power, perhaps the HKS SSQV unit?

I will look further into it. Cheers.

I don't see how it's the BOV. They are closed under pressure when they aren't operating so how can they leak!? Doesn't really make sense that it can be doing the exact opposite of its intended purpose even without a spring at all the pressure would still keep it closed under power.

It seems to make the farting noise once I am on peak boost and then lift off the throttle or once it shifts. I can keep the farting going if I feather the throttle... So I was thinking its either the exhaust or BOV.

It is the blow off valve, there is a little bypass hole on the valve that stops the low throttle flutter, it could be blocked or the bov return piping could be split. Have you had it off yet?

I just rang Turbosmart to get the low-down on what the most suitable BOV is for the M35.

The Kompact Plumb Back - Nissan (TS-0203-1226) is suitable for the stock ceramic turbo and for a GCG Highflow PROVIDING you don't turn up the boost. So that is pretty much a no go for those who wish to dial up the power output in regards to PSI.

The best option for a higher PSI is the Nissan Dual Port (TS-0205-1026), as mentioned earlier you cannot run the trumpet due to the restricted space, it is recommended you don't have the trumpet on and block the outlet (Turbosmart have a Port Blanking Plug that does the job). The unit would have to operate as 100% Plumb Back (which was what I'm after anyway).

I've just had a quick look on the net and the pricing is around $460.00 for the Nissan Dual Port.

If anyone can offer any feedback on the Nissan Dual Port please do :)

When they say don't turn up the boost, do they realise we run 1 bar stock? Stock bov is running strong on mine, over 6 months of hard 20psi driving.

They were surprised when I told them what the stock turbo puts out, as soon as I said I would be looking to tune to about 18 - 20psi they stated the kompact unit wouldn't be suitable.

I probably would've gone for the bigger unit anyway but I just wanted to suss it out.

I wonder if the "farting" sound you mention. does it come from over near the passenger side?

I wondering if it is the Wastegate on the turbo blowing open?

I have had it open at times on peak boost (but on mie it was getting suck open until I swapped the solenoid out) and it sounds like a farting noise and boost is limited to 9psi when it does this.

Mine makes the farting noise occasionally, but not very often. What I have noticed is that there is no change in the boost guage when it does happen - which to me would indicate its not a cooler clamp, or BOV but more likely manifold or exhaust...?

Either way its the same sound as in spoolin's car as I have been car for the same noise.

Here is what I have found;

I blocked off the BOV with some rubber and went for a 45min drive to try and make it 'fart'. No farting at all. I get back home and return the BOV to stock - took it for another drive and it farts again.

Here is a quick iPhone recording HERE listen at 15seconds.

That iPhone recording is quite good! And a very interesting noise it makes. Must admit I've never had that problem before.

Well it's good that you've narrowed down the source.

Btw Chris, was nice to meet you and your bro today too. :yes: