SAU Community

Is It Possible To Sell A Car Without A Certificate Of Registration?

warakawa

A friend of mine went back to China and left his car and key with me. He couldn't find the certificate of registration. Would it be possible for me sell it privately or to a dealer? it's a 91 model bluebird, i don't care how much i get as long as i can get rid of it.

thanks

Get him to write a letter that you can act on his behalf for all registration related purposes for the car because of his situation. Then you'll be able to obtain rego papers by going in with the letter. Just make sure he cites his lic no, card no and address as it is on his license.

Get him to write a letter that you can act on his behalf for all registration related purposes for the car because of his situation. Then you'll be able to obtain rego papers by going in with the letter. Just make sure he cites his lic no, card no and address as it is on his license.

+1, kinda what I meant with my post, or possibly an email to them, etc. But this works well, in writing is a lot more effective.

Yep Joe is right,

the certificate is on the back of your rego papers. When your selling a car, you have an option of either using the certificate, or writing your own letter (as a seller to the buyer)

But I'm fairly sure the letter must be signed by both the seller and the buyer.

I've transferred a car into my name before at the RTA without rego papers. As long as you have a signed receipt with VIN and engine numbers and the licence plate number, and its dated and signed it should be fine :P

i don't care how much i get as long as i can get rid of it.

thanks

got 5c here in my deep pocket (but with short arms, it's hard to reach)

PM me with your address and i'll be over in a sec.

on 2nd thought, don't listen to my alter-ego :P - the above suggestions are far more constructive

hey, you can just go down to the RTA with the Vin number /engine number, rego plates , name of the car owner , so just proof that you have the car and details of it and they should be able 2 give u a rego sheet its a photo copy of the last rego sheet , i had to do it when i bought my car mechanic needed tare weight and that and it was on rego sheets and i didnt get them when i bought it so went to rta and told them what happened and showed them proof and they photo copied it.. hope that helps

hey, you can just go down to the RTA with the Vin number /engine number, rego plates , name of the car owner , so just proof that you have the car and details of it and they should be able 2 give u a rego sheet its a photo copy of the last rego sheet , i had to do it when i bought my car mechanic needed tare weight and that and it was on rego sheets and i didnt get them when i bought it so went to rta and told them what happened and showed them proof and they photo copied it.. hope that helps

I went to RTA, they just gave this "reapplication for registration form", saying that I must get the owner to sign it

but the things is that the owner is not in this country, he is not Australian citizen, doesn't have Australian license.

I am just going to call one of those "unwanted car" ad

I went to RTA, they just gave this "reapplication for registration form", saying that I must get the owner to sign it

but the things is that the owner is not in this country, he is not Australian citizen, doesn't have Australian license.

I am just going to call one of those "unwanted car" ad

It won't matter if this owner is not an australian citizen. Lots of o'seas students own cars here.

If you know the owner's address, you need to send him the "Reapplication for registration" form to sign.

Then, he sends it back to you.

After you get a replacement "Registration" paper, you can send it back to him to sign the "notice of disposal"

Then, he sends it back to you.

You can fill out the rest and take ownership yourself (with his permission, I presume).

Then, you can sell it for him for about $2900.

If you don't know the owner's address, you can part it out, or PM Matt aka MBS206 above.

if it hasnt cost you anything and you dont want it just get someone to take it away, they have adds in the local paper, they might even give you 100 for it or if its really shitting you off then just park it somewhere with the keys in it, its not yours you have no responsibility for it, this guy obviously doesnt want it so why so much hassles, give it in for scrap