SAU Community

R32 Gtr To R34 Gtr

I've got a daily R32 and I love it but its age and lack of refinement are beginning to wear a little thin. Ride is a little hard, some squeaks, some rattles, heating and cooling not great, dash / interior looking dated, me getting old etc

Having said that I drove my wife's car to work yesterday, and whilst I loved it's comfort and mod cons I felt palpably happy snuggling into the R's seat's warm embrace this morning. So, it's love, but an inconvenient love....

So, I'm wondering if a 300-330 RWKW R34 with the right type of mods would be a step in the right direction for me. How does the overall experience compare to the 32? Does it feel a lot more modern and comfortable but still retain the GTR magic?

If you own both or have driven both over extended periods I'd like to hear from you. I hope the R34 does offer more refinement and liveability otherwise I'll have to go and spend a lot more money on a lot less performance from Europe. Is there is a middle ground between my R32 and and an M3 / RS4.

Be glad to hear your experiences and opinions.

Cheers.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

both good cars but i love my 34gtr just got to soften it up a bit as the suspension is set up for track work and the ex took my daily driver but its still livable but as a daily its all good and feels new enough a/c is good no squeaks and rattles that comes with age so update and don't go euro unless u can get a amg c63 my mate has one and wow!!

The R32 Chassis is average.

R33/R34 were much better.

If you want refinement - low KM R34 and 300-330rwkw... quiet and very zippy/race type of feel about it.

Every R32 I've been in/driven generally is a bit rattly as you say, bit harsher etc.

Most R34's I've been in/driven are deluxe, nicer to drive as well overall to a R32. 10 years+ development afterall - gotta count for something!

Even a stocker R34 is nice to just put around in. Only thing i could think the R34 isn't the "best" is if you don't like GTR seats, R34 ones aren't a lot better

I'll put this pm I sent to Nick in for the benefit of anyone interested:

Good question! I still miss my 32 a little, but the 34 is that step forward, but still familiar if ya get my drift.

Ride is firm, but body feels a lot more rigid, handling, even on stock v spec setup is excellent, more ergonomic, everything feels nicer. Seats I love alot! even though you pretty much have to fall into the seats to get in.

32 feels like more of a mongrel and raw, the 34 feels more tuned to the street so to say. I've had mine 3weeks then pulled the engine to freshen up and improve a little, but in the short time I drove it, it was great! And yes it still has the GTR magic.

Yeah, thanks for the PM Sean. Thanks for the replies too. Seems the 34 is an option worth investigating. I'll have to figure out the GTR ownership strategy first as I've friggin got 2 already and 3 is too much real estate to handle....

Guess I'll have to kick a few tyres in the near future or get a ride from a forum member to confirm your opinions for myself. I guess I'd also better get acquainted with what R34s are worth and which ones to buy as the money is 'real' with a 34.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/privat...id=1290E328F4D0

Perhaps not exactly my style, but......

^^^ That's a really nice car. It would be very good value if the price was $66K.

(...but I'm not saying that its current price is too inflated)

For $79K I'd probably prefer a VS II Nur, even if it didn't have as much fruit.

Yes, I'd try out a couple, as you're a serious buyer. :P

^^^ That's a really nice car. It would be very good value if the price was $66K.

(...but I'm not saying that its current price is too inflated)

For $79K I'd probably prefer a VS II Nur, even if it didn't have as much fruit.

Yes, I'd try out a couple, as you're a serious buyer. :P

OK....here we go.....the switch has flicked......it's becoming real.......oh, my poor bank account.......so can you tell me why VSII Nur? Are there meaningful performance / development improvements over std and / or is it just rarity that will ensure the value is kept as much as possible. I'll do some searching, but I'll bet you can give me a broad steer.

Sorry to sidetrack slightly but how does the r33 GTR fare in this sort of comparison? I too own an R32 GTR which is basically only useful for the track, and I don't have the coin for an R34 so how fo the R33's fit in?

R34 Nur, all the benefits of the advancements, with slightly softer suspension tune that regular R34 (From what I have seen) Would seem perfect for what you are talking about. Double check that info though, but pretty sure that was one of the major differences with the Nur

R33's chassis was much better than the R32.

Even though they have the "r33" shape - it's a good solid block, few friends of mine drive R33 GTR's (350rwkw or so) daily and love it.

What do you mean when you say the chassis is "better"?

What do you mean when you say the chassis is "better"?

Can we keep this specific to R34s? I'm all for people joining threads but you're taking this one somewhere I don't want it to go.

Cheers.

My apologies, wasn't intending to shit stir, just wanted to know in what the chassis had improved since the '32. Carry on ;)

no dramas mate. Bump for 34 info!

When you put a 32 chassis and 34 chassis side by side and look underneath, a lot of rgidity seems to be from the numerous steel brace bars bolted on under the car. Also standard front strut brace? and rear strut brace/reinforment section in the boot.

The 32 does not have these, but 33 and 34 are similar with these bars under the car.

What you can't really see unless you start to dismantle a 34 is the other bracing such as B pillar steel braces in floor area, thicker doubler brackets in chassis etc. That is why they feel so much better than a 32.

OK....here we go.....the switch has flicked......it's becoming real.......oh, my poor bank account.......so can you tell me why VSII Nur? Are there meaningful performance / development improvements over std and / or is it just rarity that will ensure the value is kept as much as possible. I'll do some searching, but I'll bet you can give me a broad steer.

Here goes with regard to upgrades...

*Twin ball bearing metal-blade turbos

*Stronger engine/cylinder block

*Pistons, Piston Rings, Conrods,

*Oil Pump

*Water Pump

*Exhaust Manifold

Yes, and the rarity > better depreciation over time = big plus :D

I don't daily drive mine, but i can't see it ever being a problem. :D The low profile rubber and stiff Jap-spec coilovers can be a little jarring at times, but you'd have to be a fairy to complain!

Good luck.

*Oil Pump

*Water Pump

*Exhaust Manifold

Yes, and the rarity > better depreciation over time = big plus :D

When i changed to a hi-flow cat, i realised there was a 24U imprint on the stock catalytic converter. Must be special!

I've had a 32, 33 & 34 GTR (no R35 but we'll see what santa has in his inflated sack this financial year)

The 34 by far is the most liveable example - I'd say its a step change in terms of the interior - but all in all they feel more insulated & liveable - less of the 'raw GTR' that other have referred to in the earlier models.

I do daily drive mine and know that whatever replaces it will be a disapointing daily experience.

*Oil Pump

*Water Pump

*Exhaust Manifold

Yes, and the rarity > better depreciation over time = big plus :P

Thanks Terry. I wonder though if it's my daily if the klms will add up and the usual car park scratches will ensue. I'm a whore for modifying too so I'd hate to chop up something valuable (all done tastefully of course but....). Perhaps something like Morgs' would be good. Cheap, straight forward and some good basic mods. 'Not even' a V Spec so who cares how it all ends up (no offence mate :) ). What can you get for that kind of money from the showroom floor? Stock WRX? :( I'm guessing a Nur is top $$ too, then with the inevitable mods.....the bills start to add up.