SAU Community

What Makes A Brembo Caliper "f50" Or "f40"?

F50 or f40 is the Ferrari variant they were originally designed for.

They are no better than any other brembo calliper.

The good about them is that they will accept a decent sized rotor (355-370mm usually)

they are radial mounted so easy to fabricate adaptors for.

Good supply of pads in most name brands

realativly cheap in comparison to gtr brembos etc.

F50 or f40 is the Ferrari variant they were originally designed for.

They are no better than any other brembo calliper.The good about them is that they will accept a decent sized rotor (355-370mm usually)

they are radial mounted so easy to fabricate adaptors for.

Good supply of pads in most name brands

realativly cheap in comparison to gtr brembos etc.

I would debate that. They are better then Nissan OE BRembo calipers by a long way. (but whilst they are better in many ways the on road difference isnt huge) They are better then the Brembo Lotus caliper and all the other lesser model 4 pot Brembos that only take 28mm thick rotors etc. They were the premium street/road caliper before the range of 6 pot and 8 pots came out. I still think they are the better option over the silly 6 pot and 8 pots.

But re your other points i agree

ive been looking round for em for a while now, they seam hard to come by

Roy should be able to sell you one his many different brake sets he has, if not then put you in contact with someone brake underworld to get some.

Everyone knows he is a brake whore ;)

...LOL, I am pretty tragic at buying brake setups. Though i have tried all the F40/50 combinations now with different rized rotors and dont have any at the moment. Which made my heart sad which is why i considered these... http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Br...html&hl=f50

I still think that the F40/50 combination are hard to beat for value and performance on a well sorted car. Truth is the std Nissan gear does a bloody good job with the right bits, but sooner or later with enough power, and grip then cars can do with a bump in brake hardware

I would debate that. They are better then Nissan OE BRembo calipers by a long way. (but whilst they are better in many ways the on road difference isnt huge) They are better then the Brembo Lotus caliper and all the other lesser model 4 pot Brembos that only take 28mm thick rotors etc. They were the premium street/road caliper before the range of 6 pot and 8 pots came out. I still think they are the better option over the silly 6 pot and 8 pots.

But re your other points i agree

But how are they better than the 33/34GTR or the lotus ones? Physical size gives it stiffness, piston size you can choose to an extent, rotor size you can choose, they don't have piston cooling features or made of titanium, no external cooling or other "features".

Features aside because you can look at a caliper and see the features, and china calipers copy everything anyways, what makes A brembo better than B brembo, or A caliper better than B caliper?

But how are they better than the 33/34GTR or the lotus ones? Physical size gives it stiffness, piston size you can choose to an extent, rotor size you can choose, they don't have piston cooling features or made of titanium, no external cooling or other "features".

Features aside because you can look at a caliper and see the features, and china calipers copy everything anyways, what makes A brembo better than B brembo, or A caliper better than B caliper?

Well what makes it better is does it suit your application?

I got some F40's from Roy's house of brakes & they are good. Why?

Because the radial mount & bracket allows me to use the calliper on different rotor sizes as what I want to run changes. So in other words if/when I want to schlong a bigger rotor at the thing I can use the same calliper, albeit with a bigger bracket. Also the mount allows you to do the same in regard to different "depth" rotors.

Aside from that the pad is bigger & is infact the same size as they use on GT Falcon's etc with Brembos (BA's anyway). So every man and his dog have them available.

• 3 weeks later...

- External bridge for better fluid cooling, ie out in the breeze rather then in the caliper boiling.

- They accept a ticker, therefore generally better cooling rotor (32mm vs 28 or 30mm)

- The variety of rotors they accept means you can normally pick the qty of vanes you run so can go a bit heavier in the rotor for better cooling and kinder more street friendly pads

- They are more rigid, so better pedal feel

- Radial mount, so can be taken from car to car, based on the coin they cost you may as well keep them for your next car, just with new bracket and hat offset

- Larger pad area so run cooler

So they do have features that mean they run cooler. The titanium type pistons that you are thinking off are generally race only and dotn have suitable seals for lots of street driving. Racey calipers are fin on the street if every 5,000kms you whip them off and clean the build up and gunk from them.

Anyway, i love my F40/F50s. Will soon be trying some Stoptechs out which will be interesting how they differ

I went from standard Brembos (R33GT-R) to F50's and there was huge difference on the track as far as bite, and they did not give up after a lap like the standard Brembos did. Although I was running 355mm rotors and some Pagid RS14 pads on RE55's. They did not show a hint of giving up even after 4 hard laps, the tyres let go instead. Since then I went to Alcon 6pot 365mm with 4pot 330mm rears which were better again.

Since then I have upgraded again, and YES I do have a fetish for brakes as does Roy, and there is no cure for it... :thumbsup:

f50,and f40 calipers are diferant.

f40 suited for 343mm f50 355mm disc.

f50 has 40 and 44mm pistons

f40 has 38 and 44mm pistons

ive used f40 ones. they have been on fire and still were fine. the seals were still mint. good caliper.

I guess I was thrown off by all the randoms claiming they have "f40/f50" Brembo brakes but when I looked at them they looked nothing like what I've been accustomed to. I then thought f40/f50 was more of a family of calipers rather than a specific caliper in the Brembo range but it looks like not everybody knows what they're talking about/what they have.

Yep I see all the good things about them and again, I want some! :)

Edited by _Wing_

This is an F40 calliper. To the best of my knowledge it looks no different from an F50 - piston areas aside. It does look and is different from the Brembo's found on the R33's etc & from the current range of Brembo callipers.

Also to the best of my knowledge there is no difference between an F40 & an F50 pad (Which in turn is the same as a Brembo equipped BA Falcon, oddly enough).

Lastly I am not aware of there being any difference in the rotor sizes that these callipers can accomodate ie an F40 can go on a 324 rotor (like mine) a 343 rotor or a 355 rotor. As can an F50.

post-5134-1278992104_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

ive been looking round for em for a while now, they seam hard to come by

BIOT in japan make a kit with f40 or f50 brembo

or else just keep an eye on yahoo auction they always come out

what is currently on auction

F50

http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g87683188

iqb3779-img600x450-1278605175xn4wki28472.jpg

F40

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n84779091

iqb3779-img600x450-1278566314szgsio78162.jpg

F40 brembo kits for sale

http://search1.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/sea...ccat=2084208139

This is an F40 calliper. To the best of my knowledge it looks no different from an F50 - piston areas aside. It does look and is different from the Brembo's found on the R33's etc & from the current range of Brembo callipers.

Also to the best of my knowledge there is no difference between an F40 & an F50 pad (Which in turn is the same as a Brembo equipped BA Falcon, oddly enough).

Lastly I am not aware of there being any difference in the rotor sizes that these callipers can accomodate ie an F40 can go on a 324 rotor (like mine) a 343 rotor or a 355 rotor. As can an F50.

Pretty sure F50 can go bigger than 355mm rotors, F40 biggest rotor that it can take is 355mm rotors while F50 can go up to 378mm? somewhere around there

p/s: I still havnt got those caliper brackets made up, only a couple of places in Perth do 3D CNC for that diagram you sent me

Do you guys know if anyone sell these radial mount bracket or can make one up?

Pretty sure F50 can go bigger than 355mm rotors, F40 biggest rotor that it can take is 355mm rotors while F50 can go up to 378mm? somewhere around there

p/s: I still havnt got those caliper brackets made up, only a couple of places in Perth do 3D CNC for that diagram you sent me

Do you guys know if anyone sell these radial mount bracket or can make one up?

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n84779091 for 32/33 GTR

Edited by Kaido_RR