SAU Community

R34 Head Unit Gaps

gussa

Hey guys.

Firstly, very thankful for this site and all of the people who have added their experiences and advice. It has helped me so much during my Skyline adventure.

I have had a good search (correct me if I am wrong) but I cannot find any information on the gaps either side of my universal head unit in my R34. I have installed just your basic head unit and everything functions fine but there are some very distracting gaps either side of the face. I noticed that the R34 dash where the head unit and AC unit is installed also gradually advances in distance from bottom to top making it hard to install one of those generic pockets from super cheap etc.

If this doesn't make sense to you... maybe because my car has some disabilities, or my description is that of an 8yr old's, I will gladly post up some pictures for you on request. I just thought that all the previous people who have installed Head units with the generic Australian size would of come across the same problem too!

Any information about how to cover these gaps up would be much appreciated!

Gus.

Edited by gussa

Pictures will help the cause, Just a silly question. Around the new head unit you put in have you put the shroud that generally comes with a new head unit?

Pictures will help the cause, Just a silly question. Around the new head unit you put in have you put the shroud that generally comes with a new head unit?

I will take some asap - Currently I have foam pieces cut to fill the gaps so it doesn't look too bad.

As for your question, I have put the plastic from the head unit on, it is only about 5-10mm thick and just hides the metal housing for the head unit. The gaps are about 20 - 30mm wide on each side.

Thanks for the reply!

Edited by gussa

Here is a pic.

skyliner34headunitgaps.jpg

Even if the head unit was moved down to the bottom, there would still be a small gap :D

Edited by gussa

The reason is because you have the factory navigation/screen option. Realistically, you're not suposed to put a din unit there at all - which is why you're having so much trouble.

On other R34 models, where you have the headunit now would be the climate control, and below that (where the climate control/nav unit is) should be a double-din area.

My suggestion would be to source the parts (aircon, double-din surround) from a wrecker/ebay/etc and do it properly. You'll get a better visual result, and things will 'just work'.

Ah i see. So in the other models (GT-T or manuals?) the aircon unit is wider so that it can fit in the top spot as the sides of the pockets increase from bottom to top?

Thanks a lot for the advice. Make sense to me now and when I look at pictures of nice double din pockets in other skylines I can understand why!

I might try and fabricate something to blend it in!

Thanks

Gus.

This is - I'm guessing - the interior like you have:

7967639.jpg

This is what most R34 have:

console.jpg

Hopefully that helps.

I've seen plenty of regular climate control units for cheap on eBay, but getting the double-din area may be harder to source - probably a wrecker or the WTB thread is your best bet.

• Like 1

7967639.jpg

console.jpg

Hopefully that helps.

I've seen plenty of regular climate control units for cheap on eBay, but getting the double-din area may be harder to source - probably a wrecker or the WTB thread is your best bet.

u can do it but have to buy a new climate control cover which fits under the vents and then a new frame which will change the layout of it i had the pop up screen unit then changed looks heaps better now

• 2 weeks later...

7967639.jpg

console.jpg

Hopefully that helps.

Where can I get those inserts??? The one's the arrow is pointing at, cheers

Hey guys.

Firstly, very thankful for this site and all of the people who have added their experiences and advice. It has helped me so much during my Skyline adventure.

I have had a good search (correct me if I am wrong) but I cannot find any information on the gaps either side of my universal head unit in my R34. I have installed just your basic head unit and everything functions fine but there are some very distracting gaps either side of the face. I noticed that the R34 dash where the head unit and AC unit is installed also gradually advances in distance from bottom to top making it hard to install one of those generic pockets from super cheap etc.

If this doesn't make sense to you... maybe because my car has some disabilities, or my description is that of an 8yr old's, I will gladly post up some pictures for you on request. I just thought that all the previous people who have installed Head units with the generic Australian size would of come across the same problem too!

Any information about how to cover these gaps up would be much appreciated!

Gus.

How did you go with sorting this problem out mate? I have the same problem

• 7 months later...

hi i know this is half a year late but i got those inserts from osaka imports in knox although the guy said its the last one "although im pretty sure i saw one lying around when i was there" :S maby if u call them they might be able to figure something out.

ive had to do the same thing becuase i got my car with a screen in it so ive had to get the cd player surrounding panel and also a new climate control unit.

series 2 r34 look different again..lol when you have the DVD, MD, SAT NAV, CD CHANGER, TV POP UP from the factory

the radio trim part and double din steel insert is what your after, and a trim plate for the climate control to move the parts up.

you most likely have the metal brackets behind the dash

I rebuilt mine to mold exactly to the radio contour for a aftermarket double din motorized face, now it fits the contour of the dash and radio rather then the afterthought flat part around the radio

a single din radio will still need a block off or pocket , gauges if you want to ditch the factory rubbish in the dash.

and my tv now looks more like a GTR dash only 8 in tv now , up all the time and remolded /blended into the factory housing using carbon fibre but found the carbon is too reflective off the windscreen , so after a few other tries at various material the thing is matte black with texture. looks flocked but not, and heat proof now

Edited by sapphiregraphics