SAU Community

Help A Twat Understand R34 Gt Brake Options.

I have an r34 non turbo due to p's yeah its slow whatever, i enjoy it. I do not enjot the brakes!

I want to upgrade to bigger rotors as mine are wearing and figured id get some more manly calipers to match.

However, i'm unsure about a few things. Due to my 34 being a GT model to upgrade the rear end i'd need r33 gts25t calipers?

aswell as rotors for a r33 gts25t? as r34 turbo items will not fit? Can I run r33 calipers on the front aswell?

Or do I need to hunt down r34 gtt calipers for the front to run with r34 gtt rotors?

I guess my understand at the moment is non turbs 34's run a similar setup to r33 turbos in the rear in regards to suspension and brakes however the front end is identical to the 34 gt-t?

ie, coilover wise r33 items are a direct fit to 34 non turbos.

cheers nissan gods.

Edited by jimmyr31

hey mate, you want r33 gtst calipers for the front

this would be plenty an upgrade for you. I suggest just upgrading front calipers with some new rotors+pads up front and put some nice pads on stock calipers+machine rotors on the rear, unless your heavy into the trackwork, this will be superb for street driving :P

- your brakes must be quite worn if you feel theyre bad, my stocko r34 gt brakes are quite decent for the street i feel, there may some good pads lurking in there im not sure? its just whatever it came with from japan.

You got coilovers yet?

Edited by Silver_GT

no no coilovers yet but shall be ordering them sometime in the next month. my rotors have shit f**k all left in them, beyond machining I'd say. Just havn't had the funds to be able to fix them till recently.

I want to go to a few track days in the future so i'm going to go for some bigger than standard slotted rotors all round, despite the fact my car is n/a i'd rather have more braking force than I really require than not enough when I need it.

So the plan is r33 calipers front and rear? Do you know about my question regarding r33 turbo rotors for the rear? cheers mate.

fair enough, i just dont think youd feel the difference upgrading the rear to something bigger really, the front, definantly, just if you were on a budget might be easier to leave the rear as in (with new pads+disks)

I Believe the r33 calipers fit on the rear also, but im not 100% sure, not even sure if theyre bigger than the stock ones? might be something to check out?

I *may* have some genuine buddy club (NOT BC like JJ sell) coilovers fs. (am selling my car and if i have enough interest in parts will return it to stock. As well as camber arms and toe arms (a must have if you plan on lowering a decent amount, to avoid a huge tyre bill)

fair enough, i just dont think youd feel the difference upgrading the rear to something bigger really, the front, definantly, just if you were on a budget might be easier to leave the rear as in (with new pads+disks)

I Believe the r33 calipers fit on the rear also, but im not 100% sure, not even sure if theyre bigger than the stock ones? might be something to check out?

I *may* have some genuine buddy club (NOT BC like JJ sell) coilovers fs. (am selling my car and if i have enough interest in parts will return it to stock. As well as camber arms and toe arms (a must have if you plan on lowering a decent amount, to avoid a huge tyre bill)

could be keen shoot us a pm with the specs on them.

The turbo calipers are 4 pot arnt they.

yes the are 4 spot, and they would be an excellent and cheap upgrade. you might need to upgrade again later but the 33 gtst/32 gtr brakes should be under $500 a set.

I don't know about swapability between na and turbs. Assuming they are 5 stud hubs I think you can almost certainly fit pretty much any nissan stuff front and/or rear, but that is not a guarantee

thanks heaps. Yes i'd love to upgrade to gtr items but gts25t shall do for now as when the time comes that i require 6 spot calipers i'll probably buy an off the shelf kit brand new. I figured id pick up the calipers from somebody whose upgraded/wrecked a 33 for a couple of hundred, rebuild them and they should do me well for quite a while! Added with coilovers stiffer front/rear swaybars, new bushes and decent rubber it should handle pretty well in the hills/track days. I plan on keeping my car n/a till off p's so I hope to make gains in the corners and learn good driving technique before jumping into something with flat out balls.

you've got the right attitude, alot better idea than most peoples 'make it go fast' thing. The r34gt can be quite alot of fun even if its not super quick. I'll send you a pm bout the coilovers tomorow when i get home, only got internet on my phone tonight!

• 2 weeks later...

just so people know.

r33 gtst calipers do not bolt to non turbo er34's.

they share the same bolt size as turbo gtt 34's.

14mm as opposed to the r33 12mm.

luckily I didn't buy 33 brakes before measuring my own.

So much misleading info here.

All R34 N/A are 12mm holes Except the GT-V version.

So that means R33 GTS-t brakes bolt straight on being a 12mm hole

Also R33 GTR brakes bolt straight on aswell as R32 GTR brakes.

You can fit R34 Gtt/GTR brakes but u need to drive out the caliper bolt hole and get a custom bolt made to fit them (which i done)

So that means R33 GTS-t brakes bolt straight on being a 12mm hole

Also R33 GTR brakes bolt straight on aswell as R32 GTR brakes.

You can fit R34 Gtt/GTR brakes but u need to drive out the caliper bolt hole and get a custom bolt made to fit them (which i done)

Hats off to you sir. I learnt something new - that would be an excellent upgrade :)

• 3 months later...

I have a R34 GT, and those who have attempted it will back me up, R33 4 pots will not fit.

So to confirm R34 = 14mm / R33 = 12mm.

Edited by Chang

• 1 year later...
  • 10 years later...