SAU Community

Damo's R32 Gts-r, On Going Project Fun Car. History And Use Full Info

DJRIFT

you will find now that your car runs a grunt life sticker your life will now have a new meaning you are also expected to attend a weekly "tool box" meeting at the secret location in tamer st.....

gota commend u on a quality build man, must be hard financially even at the best of times when sponsours come on board, you've still gota dip into you're own pockets, not the cheapest hobby around. Awesome for sticking at it for so long, many drivers throw in the towelso its good u stuck it out.

Really good driving, only thing i'd say is on some of the battles youre lettin jump to much of a headstart, makin it hard 2 catch up.

p.s The Gtsr name/badge would be good 4 a sr20 r32

• 2 weeks later...

grunt life sticker worked well, won heaps of faggy shit at the drifting then did real motorsport today!

that doesnt even make sense. but yes last week was a local club day which i worked all week on the car to get it track ready.

after the first tune it was found that there was still a serious fueling issue with the car that would see me loose another engine if not fixed. it took a few nights of testing over and over and replacing parts ect to find 3 major faults. first was the lift pump had shit itself. so i fitted one of the new high volume E85 spec walbro intank pumps. i then found i still had an issue. after bypassing the surge tank with is virtually un assessable i got better results but not fixed. then the third item was a brass t pice i had fitted to split the fuel line. all these issues sorted and it was back on the dyno.

results were 331rwkw. most power ive had to date.

my first timed lap of the day was within a few seconds of my best time for the day which is an improvement for myself as im usually quite rusty and take a few runs to get anywhere near a respectable time. i only got a few sprints in for the day and no records broken but the car was moving in the right direction by the end of the day.

here is a few random pics from the past few weeks.

bake_zps517e5b22.jpg

hitting a wall does this

bang_zps5fad2c64.jpg

almost ready to go drifting, excuse the mess!

ready_zps5bea57d7.jpg

engine bay pics. i hope you like

bay2_zps3bca8394.jpg

bay1_zps176f6dc4.jpg

• 1 month later...

A small update and catching up on some things i missed from the past 6 months

Ive removed the indicator stalk off the column and made up a pice of pipe to clean it all up.

photo4_zpsb535d621.jpg

i made some ducts to vent the fresh air from the roof scoop onto me.

photo5_zpsa3f82a67.jpg

made a defuser that has since been reworked a little

photo1_zpsf5df56d9.jpg

it hangs out the back just the way i like them. unfortunately my friend sold his Origin wing that i had been using so i had to get somthing elce.

photo2_zpsff2ea414.jpg

i was after a r32 GTR wing but couldnt find one in time and after driving for some time one night to pick up what was suposed to be a GTR wing i was disappointed when i was presented with a r33 GTR style wing. It was designed for a r32 and had the right profile to fit the boot lid. it also had a carbon adjustable blade so i grabbed it anyway. looks ok from some angles but makes the car look like a r33 from behind. not sure if it will stay for long.

between events i also repainted my D1Rs to have a black center and bronze lip.

photo8_zpsce3df7fb.jpg

During the engine rebuild i rewired all the dash area of the car as i had already striped the looms forward of the firewall. This also tied into the battery relocation and new dash/switch panel being installed. The battery was relocated to the passenger seat area and this new isolation switch bracket was made up. i got a MX5 battery as they are AGM thus fully sealed case for in cabin use also very cheap for a fully sealed battery.

switch_zps1f347df1.jpg

I put in a R33 dash board as i was sick of all the silvia fags putting s15 dashes in there s13s i wanted to try somthing similar but like the 33 dash over the 34 so i give it a go and im quite happy with the outcome. i wanted to use the r33 dash cluster and lucked apon a cheap GTR cluster. so ive utilized the original gauges and cut down on the amount needed. i used a Narva switch panel with interchangeable switches and wired everything i needed through that, ignition, windows,wipers and lights. the panel comes with built in resettable circuit breakers which is ideal for race cars. i also rewired my fuel pumps through resettable circuit breakers as sometimes fuses arent easy to find at a race track

photo7_zps7abe407a.jpg

Somthing i discovered while putting my car back together is that r33 rear lower control arms will not fit a r32 subframe. they are quite a bit wider in the bush where it attaches to the subframe. R32/s13 on the left R33 on right.

r33v32_zps90d6745b.jpg

the event i had been getting the car ready for turned into a bit of a letdown due to being so wet. was still some of the best times ive had in my car ever due to the sometimes unpredictable wet track. I did find that i had a massive amount of rear grip even in the wet but was struggling for front grip. i hope that after a few tweaks i have this problem sorted. here is a vid i made from the event thanks to my new GoPro. we didnt experiment with angles and positions due to the weather.

Embed hates me. try the link

Edited by DJRIFT

Yea the engine damper is grate. I have fitted a few of the "rb" spec ones and the way they mount up is pretty useless. I brought a s13 one years ago and custom mounted it and it was a heap better.

I still run stock mounts under plenty of load with clutch kicking.

Nice work mate looking good. The new wing is not as good as the orgin :( looks really good with the origin job. I found a good wing out of the UK that's a dead ringer of the origin but slightly wider, 1760mm 39-48cm upright hight depending on how's it's set. Quality is A1. Also couple of questions, are you running a FIA approved kill switch? With that resistor to go between to ignition and coil igniter or how ever it goes? I'm thinking about putting a kill switch in the negative cable.. Is this bad or okay? Also what's the MX5 battery weigh in at do you know? What CCA? Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Updates. No good updates.

Brought a r32 gtr wing a few days after selling my nismo lip to suit gtr wing. Ah how things always seem to go for me. Came with a bootlid aswell so was good buying.

Brought a r34 streeter that is now eating all my racing budget.

Some wheels arrived from Japan for this but they are now going in the 34.

Next big task is to re build exhaust so I can get a passenger seat in it. Also have a massive month coming up in November. Racing every weekend Gona be fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Club day been and gone. Was wet as a shagg in the morning, not many compedidtors turned up for the event which ment plenty of track time. Managed to get a new pb 59.6 sec and pulled a few of them out for the day. Gave me some good motivation to keep developing with the car. Ordered some small parts and it may get a retune before its next outing at the end of this month. Video to come

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Wow, its been a few months since Ive been on SAU. I had to read the last few pages to work out what I have actually done with this car

the drift vid above was the last outing for 2013. i put it in the shed and didn't look at it until a few weeks ago. ive had a mate Sam come and repair both rear quarters for me. then he brought an even better sam with him, Sams mate Sam to paint it for me this all happened fairly fast. the car has under gone a fairly big change cosmetically and its not quite complete so the photos vary a bit as parts have been added.

the list of parts and new year mods are.....

New turbo compressor housing and intercooler piping change = retune and cam timing adjustment to net approx. 350rwkw.

oil cooler finally installed

rear defuser remade

brought origin wing finally

got gtr n1 lip to go with origin wing

changed driver seat to velo seat from old targa car

fitted dba 4000 rotors front, Project mu club racer pads front and endless pads rear. braided brake lines all round (belive it or not ive ran stock brake lines for 5 years)

above pads and rotors fixed some of my braking issues but i also adjusted brake master cylinder to fix other issues

re mounted front sway bar properly as id been running no front bar for 12months

brought CF headlight duct and canards (arrived this week)

Got gtr front bar ready for canards

repaired body work and painted car

added side skirts

ive done 2 events sofar for 2014. 1 club day where i bettered my pb buy 0.1sec. and a 7km hill climb, by far the best event ive ever driven keen to do more hill climbing.

some people may have seen the vids from poatina mountain race but here they are again

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zr1-hHjomFs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

the official vid staring the dashing Benno who for the people that know him had a very successful run in his personal rx7 the following weekend.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dOC7vEhhEBo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

some raw sound. the new compressor housing gives the turbo a sweet sound

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/w7rtcqLNkY8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

there is a few club sprint days coming up and they are what im doing most at the moment so ill try and update with some of the changes