SAU Community

Damo's R32 Gts-r, On Going Project Fun Car. History And Use Full Info

DJRIFT

• 3 weeks later...

I've been slowly rebuilding the engine myself this time around with some helpfully hints from others. I mean of you have a book in front of you and some people to assist if things don't seem right than its like anything elce really.

Sunday's last job was to pull apart the oil pump and clean it. Well there was a surprising amount of piston bits that had been through the oil pump gears. It was then decided that I would replace the gears with another standard rb20/25 set. Tonight i pulled apart a rb20 pump. First thing I noticed was the gear shape was different. Then the thickness of the gears was also different. A quick look through some other bits and I found that I had stumbled apon a n1 oil pump.

This pump was pulled out of a box of engine parts I had brought years ago for a small amount of cash and fitted to the engine last time I had it built as it seemed newer than the original.

The big question I have for anyone that has ever pulled down a neo engine is. Do neo rb25s have n1 pumps? As all my bits were supposed to be neo engine bits.

• 1 month later...

I literally haven't touched this car for a good 5 weeks. The oil pump pull apart was the last job i had done and it's been staring me down every time I walked into the shed. I vow to never attempt to build/ major works on my own car over the summer period again. My work load and social life double in the short but sweet tassie summer. I am looking forward to long nights in the heated shed over winter when there simply isn't anything better to do.

So with 5 minutes notice I told Ben we were assembling an engine and that's what we did Sunday arvo. The bottom end is now complete. Waiting in a hg as i ordered the wrong one in a moment of dumb then the head can go back on.

Some extra bits I've picked up over the past 5 weeks are arp head studs, nismo adj fpr, r33 gtr dash cluster, gktech offset rack spacers and long hollow wheel nuts and a stack of pro flow fittings to plumb the boost controller nicer.

Things i have done on the side are. Repair exhaust manifold cracks. Make new brake line. And modify inlet side of the gtr throttles. Some pics of all of this to come.

• 2 weeks later...

some pic time

GKTech long hollow wheel nuts

studs_zpsdc77e70f.jpg

all engine bay wiring excluding engine harness and oil pressure line through these neat gland nuts where the speedo cable hole once was

gland_zpse93f6715.jpg

brake booster delete plate with modified brake lines

booster_zpsf198c308.jpg

some mods to GTR throttles in this pic i have shaved off any unnecessary mounts and tapped a hole for a vacume feed to the fuel pressure reg.

balance_zps68cc6d0c.jpg

and lastly for tonight semi completed engine

block_zps2c689c19.jpg

Engine in tuesday night after a small issue with box and engine alignment. The last 2 box jobs I have done have taught me a lot. I've obviously had lunch on my side the numerous times before.

Bens head back on and some minor plumbing done on my engine tonight. If nothing less the engine bay should look show worthy.

Yeh engine out time gives you a good opportunity to fix annoyting things. But deadlines and economics always make you stop short of all the things you would like to do

Isn't that the truth!

Were you logging AFR's when your injectors were failing? Because we have noticed issues with the Bosch injectors in our race car also. It seems over time the alcohol swells the rubber seat inside the injector and they gradually lean themselves out. Its possible your injectors may have been flowing closely when you got them, but this issue presented and left them partially stuffed and now they flow out of spec.

• 1 month later...

Quick update

got car running last minute as usual. got it going last thursday night. while loading it on the trailer to go to dyno friday morning realised the brakes were stuck on due to incorrect adjustment of my brake pedal after making a booster delete plate. car got dynoed with brakes locked on. f**ked pads, calipers and split brake lines.

off to local brake place friday lunch. new lines calipers pads and full system bleed. got to track saturday morning. was pretty sketchy. ended up hitting a concrete wall after a few runs . fixed suspension and continued driving. sucked at batteling and got knocked out of top 16 but after setting into the car mid afternoon i won the extreme entry comp being 15km faster than second place.

no positive dyno result due to brake issue. and to add to that the car still has a fuel supply issue that i am working through now ready for another weekends racing.

but on a plus note the majority of the panel beating was fixed today so im not sad about it being bent any more. thanks to Grunt life's quick response.

• Like 1