SAU Community

Mallala Trackday Course - March 22

V35-2005

hi guys,

Luke and i have teamed up again to bring you another High Performance driving course with the John Bowe Driving team.

This will be exactly the same format as the one i ran last November (Nov 23 HP trackday) and is the step up from the Advanced Driving course that i organised in August (Advanced Driving trackday)

We had a great turnout for both events last year and as far as i am aware, everyone had an awesome time out on the track with their cars.

As this trackday is an instructor led course, it will be the perfect opportunity for those going out on the SAU club trackday in April (http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Sausa-Track-Day-1-t303767.html) to brush up on your skills or to learn more about your car and the track if you've not been out at Mallala often. I'm sure that the SAU guys who have been on these JB trackdays with me before will attest that they are very useful.

Those SAU members who attended the Advanced Driving course in August last year are eligible for this and future JB High Performance Driving Courses - if you missed out on following up from the Advanced Course (Krishy!) then here's your chance.

Cost will be $425 for the day (sorry, prices have gone up for 2010) and you will need an AS/ADR/Snell approved helmet. fire extinguisher is optional.

If you are new to the forum and haven't done a defensive driving course or some sort of high speed driver training course before, then you probably shouldn't enroll for this particular trackday. sorry, but this is a safety consideration. if you are interested in taking your car out to this trackday, have some track experience, or are confident at driving hard and won't endanger the rest of us by being a complete noob, then please contact me or Luke for further discussion. if you fancy yourself as the next F1 driver, then i'm sure that McLaren will be looking to sign you up for their 2010 season - you'd better go back to waiting for that phone call...

This will be a Level 2 instructor led course which means that you have the opportunity to have a qualified instructor (who is often a professional race car driver) assess your driving ability / technique and teach you new skills (or modify your bad habits). Website here: John Bowe Institute of Driving. This is also your chance to drive your car around a race track as fast as you possibly (safely) can. Pricing for the general public is normally $465 per person but pricing for our group will be $425 per person.

Please note that JBID normally requires participants to have done a minimum of an L1 course such as a Drive to Live / Drive to Survive day or their L2A Advanced Driving Course prior to doing their L2B High Performance courses. If you haven't done an Advanced Driving Course or High Performance Day with John Bowe Driving or equivalent training companies before, then you may not be eligible for this trackday as we won't know you or what your level of experience is. If you have done a Level 1 defensive driving course before, have been out at Mallala several times, or are experienced in "spirited driving" through the Hills and are confident of your ability to participate in this day, then have a chat with Luke (heslo) and me first. Sorry, but this is a safety issue - so no test pilots please.

However, with the success of the August 2009 event, I am likely to run another Advanced Driving Course sometime this year which will then allow new drivers to step up to the full High Performance days or other track events in 2010.

The numbers for March are limited this time, so please reply in this thread if you are interested. Let me or Luke (heslo) know so that we can email you the official enrollment form and add you to the list.

As this event is five weeks away, you'll need to fill out the form and send in your full payment to John Bowe Driving otherwise you'll not secure a spot.

- no deposits this time as the list will fill up fast

- $425 full payment is due directly to Dean at John Bowe Driving now

- the track day is on a Monday so you had better organise your holidays/leave/sick day now!

- you will need a helmet

Summary:

------

* 16 places available

* cost = $425 for whole day (0830-1630) of instructor led training

* theory session, track walk through, practice laps, then training

* includes morning tea + catered lunch

* lots of bottled water / softdrinks to rehydrate also provided throughout day

* instructor led (ratio 1:4 instructor:drivers)

* relatively safe unless you're really stupid

* no insurance cover for damaging your car (unless you're with Shannons Insurance)

* there will be an ambulance crew there (just in case)

* you will need to bring your own (approved) helmet

* metal valve caps for tire valves are required

* fire extinguisher fitment is optional

* this is not an open practice day

* sorry, no spectators (due to public liability insurance)

* no passengers other than the instructors (it is not an approved "ride" day)

* a CAMS licence is NOT required.

* this is a private supervised circuit day with strict and specific rules.

* it is not a race session, nor is it a drift day.

* overtaking on corners or under brakes is not allowed.

* definitely no contact with another car's bodywork!

* everyone has the opportunity to go at their own pace

** please note that this is not a race or drift day. it is not a club Supersprint event or Time Attack day ** see FAQ post in previous threads.

Confirmed

-----------

semislickR32

Andz

To be honest guys, a day like this is perfect for you. Wayne, I've seen you driving in the hills, you are a competent driver, this is the day for you. You won't be pushing 10/10th's and you will learn SO SO much about your car. Dion, can't speak for you but if you're competent in the hills, same advice :P

This is a fantastic day guys and I highly recommend it to those who haven't seen trackside yet are still competent/comfortable drivers. You won't be disappointed!

I'm hoping to make the day myself however between buying a house, paying for a new ute and other things, funds are a little tight at the moment but I'll be working the next two weekends straight to cover it :P

Thanks for the advice Luke, I'll have a good hard think about it within the next couple days.

Put it this way... my first intro to the track was one of these days, I've never looked back. The bug will bite, it will bite hard. Don't think about it, if you can afford it, do it. Procrastinating just means you'll never get out there

I hate whinging about money, but I will need to quickly sort out a budget and what my money needs spending on seeing if money allows for this - That and hopefully having it track preped

I hate whinging about money, but I will need to quickly sort out a budget and what my money needs spending on seeing if money allows for this - That and hopefully having it track preped

If it aint broken, it aint worth fixing for mallala. any car on this site would be fine, save for Dan's ex-daily.

To be honest guys, a day like this is perfect for you. Wayne, I've seen you driving in the hills, you are a competent driver, this is the day for you. You won't be pushing 10/10th's and you will learn SO SO much about your car. Dion, can't speak for you but if you're competent in the hills, same advice :P

This is a fantastic day guys and I highly recommend it to those who haven't seen trackside yet are still competent/comfortable drivers. You won't be disappointed!

weekends straight to cover it :P

i support Luke on that. if Luke can vouch for you then you're in.

however, do speak with some of the guys who did both the Advanced Driving and High Performance courses last year to see what they think of where you guys would be most confident.

i have yet to work out a day for this year's Advanced course with John Bowe Driving but should have an answer when i see them next month. it will depend on numbers, so the more people that put their hands up here for such a course, the more confidence i will have about putting on such an event (not as easy to organise as the HP days).

Damn, the track days are going out guns blazin! I too need to whinge about money. Got a track day at PI in less than 2 weeks (motorbike), the SAU-SA track day in April (car), plus I got a busted race bike I gotta purchase another engine for to race this season ... so my on-track budget is already hammered :( So unfortunately the cost of this course is the cost of another engine for my racing fix.

However, I'd also like to say that if you can come up with the cash, this course would be great of any competent driver. Brush up on your driving skills lads.

I'll come out for a look-see and fly the SAU-SA banner.

:D

I'm in if there's still places.

And having done about 6 of these JB days they are pricey but are a good day where you'll get more tracktime than you or your car can probably handle.

Added you to the list buddy :D

what's the minimum number of participants?

do they issue a CAMS license ?

we'll have between 20-26 cars total on the day, but not all on the track at one time of course.

no CAMS licence needed as this is an instructor led course. some insurance companies will cover you for this trackday as it is an instructor supervised event. this course can count towards achieving a CAMS licence if you're going in that direction.