SAU Community

Rb25 Poncam Install Problem

i just finished installing a set of poncams in my rb25, went to put the CAS on and i noticed that the lug on the cam & CAS are totally different.

the cam has a slot in it & the CAS has a "star" pattern.

how can i fix this? do i get a different CAS or do i need different cam?

the cam part no. is for a s2.

i presumed that my motor was a s2 as it had no ignitor module. motor is in an s13.

any help would be great

cheers

rob

I wouldn't really call them a rare Series 3, the different CAS was just on the last 97 model R33's.

Rob two different types of Poncams for the RB25. Ones for a RB25 up to 96 model (they call this series I) and then ones for a RB25 97 model (they call this series II). So in reality it doesn't actually refer to series I, series II R33's.

The 97 R33 RB25 had the same CAS as the R43 RB25 NEO (The plastic black CAS instead of the metal one).

Unfortunately it looks like you have purchased cams for the 97 model with the plastic CAS. Easiest way to go about it is to get a plastic NEO CAS.

Edited by PM-R33

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi,

Looking for some help with cams... I've just bolted up a GT3076 with internal gate to my RB25 series 1 and I have a pair of Tomei Poncams 256 degree 8.5mm lift I would like to drop in. I'm not looking to get any real power gains from them, but just to move the powerband round, for more response and and earlier spool up, would these cams be adequate for the job? The cams came with the option VCT retained, what is this about and is there any tutorials or DIY's on instalment of these cams?

This is probably one of the most common mistakes people make when getting Poncams.

I know its a bit misleading to some, the way Tomei have worded the description for Series 1 and Series 2.

So here is what you need to know for future reference:

All RB25DET motors with the metal CAS and built up to 9/97 will need the Series 1 Poncams (p#/020)

All RB25DET motors with the plastic CAS and built after 9/97 will need the Series 2 Poncams (p#/050)

This is probably one of the most common mistakes people make when getting Poncams.

I know its a bit misleading to some, the way Tomei have worded the description for Series 1 and Series 2.

All RB25DET motors with the metal CAS and built up to 9/97 will need the Series 1 Poncams (p#/020)

All RB25DET motors with the plastic CAS and built after 9/97 will need the Series 2 Poncams (p#/050)

That is strange. I have a series 2 RB25 in my HQ and I purchased the series 2 Tomei pon-cams and they matched up to the metal CAS fine...

Then most likely they sent you series 1 Poncams.

What Dave wrote is 100% corect. Tomei call them Series 1 and Series 2 due to the CAS. Has nothing to do with Series 1 and Series 2 R33 models.

What Dave wrote is 100% corect. Tomei call them Series 1 and Series 2 due to the CAS. Has nothing to do with Series 1 and Series 2 R33 models.

Yeah I guess that must be the case... I got lucky :)

• 4 weeks later...

Not all S2 came with a plastic cas. A good friend of mine has a S2 in his R32 with a metal (mitsu) cas, and come to think of it, the only S2s that I've seen (non-neo) have all been mitsu cas. Strange coincidence?

EDIT: double post!

Edited by Sandersb4671

Not all S2 came with a plastic cas. A good friend of mine has a S2 in his R32 with a metal (mitsu) cas, and come to think of it, the only S2s that I've seen (non-neo) have all been mitsu cas. Strange coincidence?

My 40th anniversary R33 GTST has the black plastic CAS but I think it was built in March 1997.