SAU Community

New! Rb Nissan Special Garrett Gt3076r Ball Bearing Turbo

Harey

The facts - you do with them as you wish .

Garrett turbo families are known primarily by their turbine family ie GT28/GT30/GT35/GT40/GT42 etc .

A given turbo should say eg GT30 , then a compressor wheel diameter , eg 76mm , and if BB have an "R" tacked on the end meaning rolling element or ball bearing .

There are turbine families with numbers like GT30/GT32/GT35/GT37/GT40/GT42 etc etc .

Then there are compressor wheel families you can call GT30/GT35/GT37/GT40/ etc etc .

These GT turbine and compressor numbers do not mean the same number for the same turbo , for example I doubt you'd see a 60mm GT30 turbine and a 60mm GT30 compressor used together .

A lot of confusion still exists because the HKS and Garrett numbering systems changed over the years .

Originally HKS , mostly , used the above mentioned turbine family and compressor family to describe their units . This is where the handle GT3037 comes from . Same deal with GT3040 and GT3240 though this last one is GT32 dimensionally as it actually has a cropped GT35 turbine .

The whole "GT25" in the early days was a screw up because there are GT25 turbines and GT28 turbines , for whatever reasons HKS called them all GT25 as in GT2510/GT2530/GT2535/GT2540 . The fact is that the GT2510 has a GT25 turbine and the other three have GT28 turbines - I don't know why I just know what they have .

The MAJOR screw up was HKS having Garrett make what they called the GT2835 series , It was probably something to do with them wanting a turbo sized in between the GT25xx series and the GT30xx series .

The "GT2835" series does NOT use a GT28 turbine it has a cropped GT30 turbine which is why I mentioned somewhere that it should have been called a GT3035 , fact they have a GT30 turbine with a GT35 compressor - sounds like the marketing team had another win over the engineers ...

Down the track you had an unofficial system which I think started in the US and went round the globe with the Internet explosion . They started the GT30R/GT35R turbo system but its a trap because you don't have a clue as to what compressor hangs off that GT30 or GT35 turbine and they aren't all the same .

Then for some strange reason they wanted to measure the size of the external holes on a complete turbo and start naming them on these sizes . Based on this wild cat system if someone said to you I've got this GT5557 turbo and its just what you need what would you do ? The numbers sound big for a GT3037 but that is roughly what a 3037 has - 55mm turbine outlet and 57mm compressor inlet .

The system is flawed because either side wheel can have variations in trim size and that alters the inlet and outlet sizes and you don't have any idea what the actual wheels are family wise . Could be a big wheel in a small trim or a small wheel in a big trim , cant see without removing the housings can you ?

And now you have The current Garrett system where they tell you the turbine series followed by the compressor wheels major diameter ie GT3076R which means GT30 turbine + 76mm compressor + R meaning ball bearing .

It is also flawed because telling us the compressor wheel major diameter doesn't tell us what generation compressor wheel is used . You can have a GT3076R with the proper 6/12 bladed GT37 compressor or you can have the 7/14 bladed wheel like in the pics above . The reason I wont call it a REAL GT3076R is because it doesn't have the same GT37 series compressor wheel like the GT3037 turbo does .

So where do you go from here ?

I end up going by the complete turbochargers and or cartridges Garrett part numbers because I know what they've used or can look them up if I don't .

If anything the cartridge number , sometimes listed as CHRA or Center Housing Rotating Assembly , is the most important number because it will differentiate which wheels AND trims each one has by number .

All the GT30 ball bearing turbine based turbos have a cartridge number starting with 700177 , followed by a dash number ie 5007 . That dash number tells you which turbine variation because theres three of those and which compressor is used . In this case its a 60mm 84 trim GT30 turbine and a 56 trim GT37 compressor wheel .

So , if you want what I call a REAL GT3076R turbo it must have a GT37 compressor wheel like HKS's spec GT3037 units do so the cartridge number must be 700177-5005 or -5006 or -5007 . The 5/6/7 means compressor wheel trim size 48/52/56 .

With the GT25 and GT28 series ball bearing turbos the cartridge numbers start with 446179 and end in a dash xxxx number ie the GT2530 , really a GT2860R in current Garrett speak, is 446179-5021 .

Lastly to the hybrids like slapping someones OE housings on a Garrett cartridge .

If this has been done you can forget all about thing working as the turbo manufacturer intended because the housings are usually nothing like the turbo manufacturers ones are internally . The manufacturers turbine and compressor wheel maps mean zip as well .

From what I've seen it's logical to reuse OE housings on someone else's cartridge provided the two wheels major diameters are sort of similar to what the original ones were . For example people here have used their RB25's Hitachi housings on GT2871R cartridges and got quite reasonable conservative results . Granted the GT28 turbine is a bit larger than the Hitachi's ceramic one but not nearly as much as a full sized GT30 turbine . You have to think in terms of cross sectional areas when looking at wheel diameters because a mm here or there doesn't look like a lot but do the Pi R squared thing and it grows real quick .

The turbines themselves , the GT28 is 9 bladed 76 trim where the larger GT30 is 10 bladed in a bigish 84 trim . The diameters are ~ 54x47 and 60x55mm .

For the 250 odd Kw I'd have used the same cartridge as a HKS GTRS (GT2871R 52T) and you'd have a choice of whatever compressor housing/adapter ring that those Garrett cartridges can take . HKS used a T04B format comp housing though theirs was port shrouded .

If that was not enough for you then maybe a cropped GT3071R (inaptly called GT2835 in HKS speak) .

Or just buy the GTRS and bolt it on with you home brewed plumbing .

I'm sorry but I just can't see the point in using a nearly 500 Hp capable cartridge to make 330 odd Hp . Yes it may bolt up , no it can't reach anything like its true potential .

For whoever it was , the GT37 wheels ARE the ones that work better with the GT30 turbines . GT turbine + GT compressor = happy GT combination - if sized properly .

IMO odd sized or non GT compressors were used in Garrett marketed turbos back in the days when HKS had the monopoly on wheel combinations they paid the R & D on . I believe its their intellectual property and they have exclusive rights to it for about six years after which Garrett can sell the cartridge , and housings if they made them , to anyone .

Many of these HKS GT BB turbos have been around for a lot longer than six years which is why if you have the part numbers and they are still in production you can order them ex Garrett Japan .

Its the reason why you can buy GTSS or GTRS turbos or "the real" GT3076R turbos from Garrett at a Garrett price . You won't get the HKS housing if it was a unique enough one that only HKS produced it . In the case of the RB26 GTSS you're buying the whole shooting match bar the actuator .

So these are the facts as I see them . For most power asks there will be something suitable out there , the questions always be what are you prepared to pay to get the best matching combination . Sometimes its straightforward and sometimes its not and often the best bits are low volume expensive ones .

Everyone wants to save a buck but sometimes the compromises made to achieve that hurts some performance aspect .

Such is life , cheers A .

Edited by discopotato03

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bozodos,

No its not a waste of time if thats what you want to do and thats all you can afford to do BUT it is as disco states - you are limiting yourself and the turbo cartridges potential. If you only ever want a car that does 250rwkw and thats it no more end of story and its hard to set up and keep right, then go for it. But it is not efficient and doesn't reach or attain its hidden potential. Disco says why strap a 500hp turbo cartridge into a housing that limits it to 400hp or less?

Everyone realises that using a true garrett GT3076R is more expensive and requires more work to fabricate and set up, but once you do this the results are you have a turbo that can unleash its true power capability, all 500hp [assuming you have the supporting mods to extract it].

I honestly don't see any benefit in using a 'special' or non genuine 3076 over a hiflowed std turbo, the power is about the same and the cost is lower.

I was thinking more from the need to use less boost to make similar power as a regular highflow, but I'm glad that's cleared up.

I had the wrong idea, thinking that the 3076 CHRA in modified RB25 housings could make similar power to the more expensive Garrett.

Edited by bozodos

Disco a little more on the 3037.....correct me if i am wrong.

There are 3 versions of the Gt3037 ie.

GT3037 = 70mm non port shrouded inlet / ext gated

GT3037S = 100mm port shrouded inlet / ext gated

GT3037Pro S =100mm port shrouded / int gated

The "S" was given to signify the port shrouded comp inlet and the "Pro" was to signify internally gated.

From what i have seen the GT3037Pro S was only available in 56trim and the option for 48/52/56 trims were only an option for the externally gated versions from HKS

With that said that would mean the "bolt on" kits for the 25 from hks would be the EXACT specs as Garrett's 56 trim GT3076 the only difference being the a/r of the turbine.... .63/.82/1.06 for Garrett and .68/.87 for hks

Too bad users here don't specify which spec turbine GT3037Pro S was used but i would more lean towards the smaller of the two and i have seen some verrry good results......

Too bad Garrett didn't fit something in between the .63 and the .82, with the latter still being a better option than the hks .87 for sure!

Tweakit sell the exact same GCG kit for LESS

They buy them from GCG and resell it. When I mentioned this with GCG they said that is right, we prefer to deal with resellers than the public. So they charge more :laugh:

They only thing the kit does not come with is the inlet pipe. I have just fitted this kit and used a 4x3" reducer, 90deg alloy bend and a 45deg silicon bend onto the stock airflow meter and airbox location. Just need to get the BOV and engine breather pipe welded into the alloy bend.

Can you send me a link to this? I can only find the one that bolts to the stock nissan dump pipe on the tweakit site.

Grrrrrr , lost a long post because the final preview post cross connected with an incomming PM and the web page had expired ...

Short version , yes thats pretty much the story with the GT3037/S/Pro S .

All Pro S GT3037's have the full sized 60mm GT30 turbine , the cropped version is in their spec "GT2835/Pro S/R" versions .

My turbo is literally a GT3037S with a Garrett GT30 IW turbine housing in 0.82 A/R . The main differences are that mine has the 52T GT37 compressor and its matching port shrouded compressor housing and a Garrett made turbine housing . It looks just like any other real GT3076R with a Garrett IW turbine housing except its compressors inducer is ~ 55mm instead of 57mm . It also looks like a GT3037 Pro S with a Garrett turbine housing and without the funnel mouthed insert in the compressor housing . Ok its missing the HKS tag as well ...

Bought through GCG but I'm sure Garrett at Chipping Norton can do the same thing .

The theory is it should work pretty well on an RB25 though I don't think I'll be the first to try it . Evench .

A .

wow... im mega confused

im looking at getting a turbo made up from a T3 0.82 rear housing(with standard rb25 dump pipe flange) with 3076 cartridge/shaft and wheels and a machined out rb25 compressor housing....

can someone tell me what sort of power / response i could be looking at with this setup on an rb25 and if it's a waste of time

my reaosning behind the standard compressor housing is too look factory and bolt up to standard intake pipe.

Edited by Ruffels

wow... im mega confused

im looking at getting a turbo made up from a T3 0.82 rear housing(with standard rb25 dump pipe flange) with 3076 cartridge/shaft and wheels and a machined out rb25 compressor housing....

can someone tell me what sort of power / response i could be looking at with this setup on an rb25 and if it's a waste of time

my reaosning behind the standard compressor housing is too look factory and bolt up to standard intake pipe.

Thats what this whole thread is about. You can buy that turbo off the shelf as in the link in the first post. No need to get it made up.

Some fantastic info there by discpotato- good to see it all in one place!!

To further add to the mix, don't be put off by the "small" 0.73 ex housing. How it performs will depend on a number of things.

Ex manifold, cams, porting, inlet manifold etc etc.

I have a HKS 3037S (so the external gate) 56T trim (rated at 480hp) with 0.73 turbine housing.

I run a 6boost ex manifold and mine reaches 19psi @ ~4000rpm. My engine also pumps out ~420rwhp so don't consider the "small" ex housing restricting top end.

Have fun picking a turbo :nyaanyaa:

so basically you're saying that GT3076 CHRA stuffed into non Garrett housings is a waste of time?

Yes it is a waste of time.

There are better, more appropriate sized turbos, that will suit the max a 3076 cartidge can produce in machined out skyline housings.

EG: A 3076 in a Skyline housing set would probably give similar results to a genuine Garrett GT3071.

Given that, the 3071 would be better in every way. More responsive and so on.

i know where there is some i think there GT3071 or 3076 bolt on highflows, only part of the stock turbo they use is the compressor housing from memory, capable of 270-280rwkw and very responsive, from memory there is still 4 or 5 left, they came with there own dump pipe and were to suit r33 gtst's,

stock lines can be used with them, except they require special washers and banjo bolts from memory... pm if you want more info.. i think they were around the $2500 mark for turbo and dump pipe

well that's basically what the Hypergear item is Cartman.

So you're saying Ash that for someone like me who's looking for around 250rwkw @ 1bar or so I'd be better off with say this?

http://www.tweakit.net/shop/product_info.p...roducts_id=6598 which is incidentally around the same price as a 3076 highflow?

EDIT: I also noticed that the turbine housing size isn't the same as on the generic turbos... would that likely to be a bad thing?

Edited by bozodos

^ they don't give you any wheel specs - so unless they provide, stop looking @ that website IMO. Most places not putting the minimum details like wheel size/trim usually are going for hybrid/cheaper options.

http://www.gcg.com.au/turbo/ViewProduct.aspx?ProductID=27

That is the spec for the .64

http://www.gcg.com.au/turbo/ViewProduct.aspx?ProductID=17

For the .82 (note, larger rear wheel/housing = less reponsive, more top end)

And what does price have to do with it? Price is irrelevant.

Just because it cost the same as a turbo that makes 50rwkw more doesnt mean a lot.

You buy to suit the application... not because the bigger turbo is "better value".

And

and? lol

I was just saying comparatively speaking; having to suffer with a cheap turbo I'm not keen to get another POS, but neither am I keen on wasting money when it need not be, and having a 'kit' that is all a bolt up job is a lot easier than having to f**k around buying parts here there and everywhere and also having to know exact specs.

On the other hand, if that means that a bolt on kit is not really going to use the potential of the turbo, then there is no real choice but to just buy the bare turbo from GCG or whomever and buy accessories seperate to suit.

EDIT: after looking at the 3071's on the GCG site, it says that they come with T25 flange housings not T3 :S

Edited by bozodos

just ring em and ask for a garrett IW rear to suit T3, that's not a problem
okay, so the T3 flanged housings are universal among the GT30 family? (apart from boost control of course)

noone said anything about them being universal, just ask and you shall receive.

I spoke to GCG 2 days ago, they supply a turbo built to the housing sizes and core you want along with water and oil lines, a spacer plate and studs and a new dump pipe to suit RBs for $2950

thats not the CHEAPEST option but surely is if you want a bolt up kit. this is also a garrett IW housing and a dump GCG have made to suit the stock skyline position, i am yet to confirm this with them but i belive if you have a 2 peice dump on your car this one will bolt up as Mark from GCG said it is designed to be a direct replacement for the factory cast item made to suit the garrett housing.. so im assuming it replaces it position wise but with the garrett flange.

all too good to be true. time to man up and read a little more, saying stuff like "f**k around buying parts here there and everywhere and also having to know exact specs" will really come back to bite you in the ass when you realise your setup is not meeting your expectations.

mistakes are one thing, being lazy and negligent is another.