SAU Community

Back Yard Race Fuel (DIY)

rev210

Tolunene mix at 25% tolunene and 75% BP 98 Test. Calculated octane RON is 104!

This stuff rocks!

I often run Wynns race formula octane booster with BP 98, and I find it improves performance a small but, noticable amount in the upper rev range.

25% Tolunene is VERY noticable and from down low too. It knocks the spots off other octane boosters and this is why:

Ultimate 98 uses only 2% Aromatic compounds, and therefore is using the most advanced non-aromatic "octane boosting" additives to achieve 98 octane. A reason why octane boosters will work better with the Caltex 98(vortex its called here) is it has 5+% Aromatics.

As indicated the higher exhaust gass temperatures spool the turbo earlier, a symptom I tested over and over and over again. :P I could easily run higher boost and a little more aggressive timing but, since I have a ceramic turbine and a stock computer I will leave that for someone else to have fun with for now!

Any questions?

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The method:

Buy a can of PURE toluene from a hardware store (they don't all carry it unfortunately) about $23 I got 4L for.

Go to BP service station

Put in the Toluene , I put 4L in .

Put in 3 times the amount of BP ultimate 98 as the amount of toluene. I put in 12L of BP98.

Presto 104 RON fuel to go! (tolunene has a RON of 122 baby!)

Oh yes the Myths:

Toluene corrodes the fuel lines ---- NO it doesn't.

Toluene is deadly poison ----- Yes , but no more harmful than petrol.

Guest Stocker

Just so you know..Toluene is extremely carcinogenic, however, contact with the skin has to occur for this to be a problem, so just be careful when handling it.

Also, it will damage paint long term(it is/was used in paint as a thinning agent).

Regards, Andrew.

I am very interested in this as I was going to buy some C16 for Jamboree this year to help me into the 12's. I assume that C16 is 116Ron, is this correct? So is it possible to change the mix i.e. 40% Toluene and 60% BP Ultimate to make a higher ron fuel...I would like something up around the 110ron mark. Who is the best person to get to test the ron rating....

Originally posted by Stocker

Just so you know..Toluene is extremely carcinogenic, however, contact with the skin has to occur for this to be a problem, so just be careful when handling it.

Also, it will damage paint long term(it is/was used in paint as a thinning agent).

Regards, Andrew.

You are thinking of straight Benzene , mechanics used to wash their hands with it many years ago until they discovered it caused cancer. Tolunene is not linked to causing cancer.

Yes it is harmfull but, LESS harmfull than ordinary petrolium (It's still not a plaything tho') Please note the hazards identification, that tolunene is not linked to leukemia where as Petrol is.

Here is the mineral data safety sheet for say ultimate 98 :

http://www.msdsonline.com.au/BPAUST/msds/m...e=&uselogo=TRUE

And here is the MDS for toluene :

http://www.msdsonline.com.au/BPAUST/msds/m...e=&uselogo=TRUE

there you go, just so you know

:P

Originally posted by BOOSTMEISTER

I am very interested in this as I was going to buy some C16 for Jamboree this year to help me into the 12's.  I assume that C16 is 116Ron, is this correct?  So is it possible to change the mix i.e. 40% Toluene and 60% BP Ultimate to make a higher ron fuel...I would like something up around the 110ron mark.  Who is the best person to get to test the ron rating....

Well there is two parts to the octane rating RON and MON . The best indicator of performance is RM/2, RON + MON / 2 = RM/2 rating.

The RM/2 rating of Toluene is very very high at 114 RM/2.

there is no problem posed to your engine running 40% tol and 60% BP98 appart from possible cold start performance and low rpm issues in cold weather and the same issues of running too rich (doing this for long periods of time is not good).

At 60/40 your RON would be 107, the RM/2 of BP98 I can't find anywhere, it would be good to know.

Originally posted by turbomad

How much Toluene do fuel company's use to turn unleaded into premium or Optimax/Ultimate etc..?

Well since toluene is an aromatic ( benzene based molecule ); 2% of BP 98 is Aromatic whilst I think Optimax is upto 5%. I'm not too sure about this but if Optimax is BP's only 98 octane competitor then this is right according to Bp's own comparison chart.

At the end of the day our friends at BP claim the lowest Aromatic content and therefore will benifit from Toluene more.

I can't get the smile off my face, this stuff is very good:D

so we buy this stuff from bunnings, slop it in the tank with some premium & blast off to a lower 1/4???

surely if it was this simple everyone would be doing it???

i dont wanna be a skeptic, im just a bit wary of any side effects it may have.

will it harm the engine in any way or fuel system/plugs???

good **** but you paying a premium

i was under the impression that toueen is benzeen. eg 100%tolueen is pure benzeen

you should get a low grade tolueen that is perfectly acceptable for 40 bucks for 20 litres. it has some impurities but when you compare it to normal petrol it is very clean to what you put in you tank. (bunnings you r getting arse raped at)

now if you go for the "****" as i like to call it, which is chemist grade tolueen you pay about 120 bucks for 20 litre (cost price from supplier)

with the crap **** i use 5 litres per tank and the good **** 3 litres per tank

anymore and you will be changing plugs regulary(due to misfire), cause of build up on the plugs

pete

I used VP C16 to stop detonation at the track, it was $100.00 for 20L and my engine didnt ping but there wasnt any real noticeable performance gain. It did idle lower smoother, and bosst maybe a little earlier.

Hume Performance in Liverpool Sydney supply VP racing fuels

Originally posted by blind_elk

Toluene = Methyl-Benzene.

A search of the net uncovered that it is not on the NIOSH carcinogen list, but it adversely affects the central nervous system.

Yes, all fuels do that hence some people like to 'sniff' them to get the central nervous system effect. If fact ALL

solvent based glues and paints have the same classification.This includes ordinary correction fluid like "liquid paper".

Toluene is nothing special.

Its a couple of years ago, but the cheapest way I found to by it was direct thru a Shell dealer, at the time (about 5 years ago) it was cheaper for 20l of methyl-benzene than 20l of avgas beacause methyl-benzene is classed as a solvent and not a fuel so it does'n't have the huge government taxes on it.

If you ask at a servo they'll just give you a stupid look, try performance shops or even Truck parts retaillers... i found them the cheapest and there used to supplying in bulk.

Originally posted by fatz

good **** but you paying a premium

i was under the impression that toueen is benzeen. eg 100%tolueen is pure benzeen

you should get a low grade tolueen that is perfectly acceptable for 40 bucks for 20 litres. it has some impurities but when you compare it to normal petrol it is very clean to what you put in you tank. (bunnings you r getting arse raped at)

now if you go for the "****" as i like to call it, which is chemist grade tolueen you pay about 120 bucks for 20 litre (cost price from supplier)

with the crap **** i use 5 litres per tank and the good **** 3 litres per tank

anymore and you will be changing plugs regulary(due to misfire), cause of build up on the plugs

pete

Toluene is not benzene, it has a benzene molecule and therefore is not 'pure' benzene.

You won't buy it from bunnings they don't stock it. Low volumes like 4L or 1L are expensive vs 20L / 200L drums.

Chemist grade toluene is available from BP and others for much less than $120/20L as toluene is very easily refined to 100% purity and the stuff from the hardware store is '100%' toluene, due to advertising laws and laws governing hazardous materials they must display any products other than toluene in the container even if only by a general class of substance.

3L of pure toluene in 60L R33 tank (55L BP98) will yeild 99.2 RON.

The fouling of plugs is a problem with Race fuels when mixtures are set for road fuels and the car is driven under light loads (around town). I reccomend toluene for the "day at the track" when higher boost and load are order of the day.

Originally posted by BOOSTMEISTER

Rev210

I am waiting for a call back from the main BP distributor depot here in town, what should I be asking him to sell me?

Would they have a premixed fuel with a high RON or do I need to ask him for a can of Toluene then mix it myself???

Please help I expect his call soon.:P

Toluene ---- is what you ask for . Its a solvent availible in 200L and 20L volumes.

Don't go asking about premixed toluene -- they do it as a solvent, hence there is no fuel based tax on it. They will not mix it cause if they do they are breaking EPA laws and a bunch of other Tax laws.