SAU Community

Simple Boost Controller Gtr Question

gwin

Hi guys

So trawling all the forums I just can't find the boost controller install for a GTR.

do I just replace the whole stock solenoid/restrictor with the one given in the aftermarket kits?

Rather than, cutting hoses here and there as the universal instructions give.

dsc012257kf.jpg

Thanks

what have you highlighted there good sir?

if you take your time and trace back the stock vacum hoses, and find one side of the stock solenoid to come from a manifold or intercooler pipe source, and the other side to lead to the actuators on the turbos with NOTHING inbetween. Then yes, replace it with your aftermarket solenoid and go for gold.

yet often on stock cars there are a few ways they do it, and have a bleeder rather than an actual solenoid. so check whats going on first.

The short answer to your question is - no, you can't just plug the boost controller solenoid into those pipes. Well, you could, but it wouldn't give you any boost control.

I just recently had to figure this out before fitting a Greddy Profec controller, here's what I found:

- At the back of the intake plenum there is a black vacuum hose that runs into a T-piece hidden up under the plenum. Don't worry about the T-piece as you probably can't get to it without removing the plenum.

- There will be a hard line/hose running from one side of the T piece around the back of the block to the actuators. This is the boost supply to your wastegates.

- The other side of the T-piece runs forward under the plenum and into the stock solenoid you have circled in the picture above.

- The hose coming out of the solenoid runs back under the plenum, around the back of the block, and into the intake side of one of the turbos. So basically, the solenoid just bleeds off some of the boost pressure, reducing the amount the wastgates see.

If you just plumb the solenoid of your boost controller into the same lines, it will just work like the stock solenoid did, which is fairly useless.

What you need to do is plumb the solenoid somewhere into a line going directly from the boost source (i.e. plenum) to the wastgate actuators.

There are a few ways to do it, but this is what worked for me:

- Pull the small stock hose off the connection at the rear of the intake plenum. I managed to pull the hose out completely, but you can just plug it up if you want.

- Run a new length of hose from the intake plenum connection around the back of the engine to the new b/c solenoid. I made up a bracket and mounted the solenoid between the power steering reservoir and ABS.

- Run a hose from the other side of the b/c solenoid to your actuators. You can use a T-piece, or disconnect the stock plumbing for the actuators where it runs back around the block towards the plenum and hook it into that.

- Locate the return side of the line that goes from the stock solenoid into the turbo intake pipe and remove it at the turbo end, and put a cap over the pipe and clamp or at least cable tie it. You could just plug that line at the solenoid end instead, but I wanted to completely remove the stock solenoid and the hoses that run into it.

If that's not clear enough give me a shout and i'll see if I can find a vacuum line diagram.

thanks dude!

I'll compare your instructions and reference the workshop manual :(

No wonder no one posts it up for the GTR. People probably pay someone to do it >.<

The short answer to your question is - no, you can't just plug the boost controller solenoid into those pipes. Well, you could, but it wouldn't give you any boost control.

I just recently had to figure this out before fitting a Greddy Profec controller, here's what I found:

- At the back of the intake plenum there is a black vacuum hose that runs into a T-piece hidden up under the plenum. Don't worry about the T-piece as you probably can't get to it without removing the plenum.

- There will be a hard line/hose running from one side of the T piece around the back of the block to the actuators. This is the boost supply to your wastegates.

- The other side of the T-piece runs forward under the plenum and into the stock solenoid you have circled in the picture above.

- The hose coming out of the solenoid runs back under the plenum, around the back of the block, and into the intake side of one of the turbos. So basically, the solenoid just bleeds off some of the boost pressure, reducing the amount the wastgates see.

If you just plumb the solenoid of your boost controller into the same lines, it will just work like the stock solenoid did, which is fairly useless.

What you need to do is plumb the solenoid somewhere into a line going directly from the boost source (i.e. plenum) to the wastgate actuators.

- Pull the small stock hose off the connection at the rear of the intake plenum. I managed to pull the hose out completely, but you can just plug it up if you want.

- Run a new length of hose from the intake plenum connection around the back of the engine to the new b/c solenoid. I made up a bracket and mounted the solenoid between the power steering reservoir and ABS.

- Run a hose from the other side of the b/c solenoid to your actuators. You can use a T-piece, or disconnect the stock plumbing for the actuators where it runs back around the block towards the plenum and hook it into that.

- Locate the return side of the line that goes from the stock solenoid into the turbo intake pipe and remove it at the turbo end, and put a cap over the pipe and clamp or at least cable tie it. You could just plug that line at the solenoid end instead, but I wanted to completely remove the stock solenoid and the hoses that run into it.

If that's not clear enough give me a shout and i'll see if I can find a vacuum line diagram.

Just to complete your thread for the next person asking the same question, here is the RB26 vacuum diagram.

Not sure where it came from, but someone was nice enough to label everything for us.

post-13979-1264588716_thumb.jpg

The version below is how I plumbed in the Greddy Profec solenoid. The red crosses are the hoses I removed, the red slashes are where I cut or plugged up stock lines.

The orange box at the bottom and the orange hoses I added to this diagram are the new solenoid and plumbing.

post-13979-1264589376_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

JD

Edited by JD_R33

• 2 months later...

just to clarify. there are a number of connections under the plenum, is it the one closest to the firewall? dont wanna pull one off just to find its the wrong hose

Instead of running a hose around the rear of the engine u can connect the source from the plenum to the existing hard line that was originally used as the bleed from the solenoid back to the intake ....

This is the blue line in the dia. U can make a loop from the "boost source" to where is labeled no. 9 and blank off no. 14

Use this to feed the new solenoid, disconnect all other hoses and run a new line from the solenoid with a T piece to split to the two actuators

Some compressed air will help to identify hoses

ok, lil confused now. i got a hsv evc 4. port 1 wants a manifold pressure source (used the same line as my boost gauge, put a t in and ran a line to the solenoid), port 2 wants a boost source (no idea what to use) and port 3 controls the actuators ( i linked both and put a T in the middle and ran that upto the solenoid.

what you said made sense till i went out and had a look lol. the instructions say put it on the compressor housing or a pipe before the intercooler. which i cant find any with a port to put a line on?

sorta make sense, im gona try install my profec b spec 2 during the week

basicaly the profec solenoid needs boost pressure (from plenum) and other outlet to wastegates...

now to go out and buy a crap load of t-pieces and silcon hose !!

• 1 year later...

sorry to bring up an old thread but it there an easier way of tapping the boost pressure? i have seen a pic else where where they hooked the no port on the solonoid to the old wastegate supply tube will this work? as we all know there is bugger all room under the plenum and is really only being done by feel I would prefer to keep the hosing to a minimum, I have already teed the wastgates togther is just the pressure source thats the issue, any help is appreciated.

Scott

Stock wastegate line is fine, just remember there is a restrictor in the metal handlines on the exhaust side so you will never get actuator pressure

• 6 months later...